I disagree with this article but wanted to share...

This article says that skipping breakfast is tied to heart attack and heart disease. While I never skip breakfast...or any meal for that matter, I think that if you were to look at the other factors of the 27%/55% respectively at higher risk I'd have to imagine that not eating breakfast played a smaller role in increasing their risk. I dislike the number of articles that portray something as good/bad by only looking at one part of the equation...for example, of the people at higher risk, did they exercise regularly? Did they eat healthy overall? Was their diet mostly processed foods? etc...

Copied from online article, link at the bottom:

Here's a good reason to eat breakfast every morning: It could keep your heart risks low, according to a new study.

Research published in the journal Circulation shows an association between regularly skipping breakfast and having a higher risk of experiencing a heart attack or having fatal heart disease.

That's because "skipping breakfast may lead to one or more risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, which may in turn lead to a heart attack over time," study researcher Leah E. Cahill, Ph.D., a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, said in a statement.

For the study, researchers examined food frequency questionnaires taken over a 16-year period by 26,903 men between ages 45 and 82. Over that time period, 1,572 men experienced a cardiac event for the first time.

Researchers found an association between skipping breakfast and having a 27 percent higher risk of dying from coronary heart disease or experiencing a heart attack. This held true after taking into account other heart risk factors including sedentary activity, exercise, sleep, alcohol intake, smoking status, diet, body mass index and medical history.

There was also a link between timing of eating and heart disease. Specifically, they found that those who ate right before bedtime had 55 percent higher risks of coronary heart disease.

Skipping breakfast isn't uncommon; a recent survey from the NPD Group showed that approximately 10 percent of Americans don't eat breakfast, with men being more likely to skip breakfast than women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-heart-attack-disease_n_3635145.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    That's because "skipping breakfast may lead to one or more risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, which may in turn lead to a heart attack over time," study researcher Leah E. Cahill, Ph.D., a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, said in a statement.
    Researchers found an association between skipping breakfast and having a 27 percent higher risk of dying from coronary heart disease or experiencing a heart attack. This held true after taking into account other heart risk factors including sedentary activity, exercise, sleep, alcohol intake, smoking status, diet, body mass index and medical history.

I haven't read the whole article or looked at the study yet, but these two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    As with a majority of studies, correlation does not imply causation. They have shown that people who skip breakfast are more likely to have these negative effects, but they did not prove that the skipping of breakfast is what caused the effects. Generally there is an overarching commonality that goes unmentioned in favor of making a sensationalist point.
  • bcattoes
    I found this article which goes into the results a little more

http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

And here is the actual publication they are referencing. I have not read it yet as it's over 300 pages and I'm at work

http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

But, from the article on health.com, which includes quotes from one of the study's authors, it sounds like they are artributing the increased risk to other behaviors common in the men who skipped breakfast. That the men had a higher incidence of heart disease (which I'm not saying is insignificant) but they were unable to tie it to anything specific.

It certainly is food for thought, though.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I'm more concerned by the 55% increase when eating right before bed!! :noway:
  • bcattoes
    As with a majority of studies, correlation does not imply causation. They have shown that people who skip breakfast are more likely to have these negative effects, but they did not prove that the skipping of breakfast is what caused the effects. Generally there is an overarching commonality that goes unmentioned in favor of making a sensationalist point.

While correlation does not always equal causation, it can certain imply it. And the more studies that show a correlation the more the implication. You are correct that this study proves nothing, and the authors say that (few studies do). But that is not reason to dismiss the findings altogether.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

^This. I don't put too much stock in correlation studies. This study is completely asinine and ridiculous. It's not worth the paper it's printed on.
  • bcattoes
    I'm more concerned by the 55% increase when eating right before bed!! :noway:

Yeah, that concerns me too. My husband and I typically eat dinner just before bed every night.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    For the study, researchers examined food frequency questionnaires taken over a 16-year period

and...

Raise a few red flags for me.

Self reported food questionnaires are notoriously unreliable as they depend on user a) accuracy b) consistency and c) memory. Most people are terrible at recording what their true intake actually is and I know this might be shocking, brace yourselves, but some people actually forget stuff, exaggerate or even lie on questionnaires!

Then, on this unreliable data a multivariate analysis is applied which in itself is far from perfect.

I am not discounting the results but treating them with a large degree of skepticism at this point.
  • AJ_G
    For the study, researchers examined food frequency questionnaires taken over a 16-year period

and...

Self reported food questionnaires are notoriously unreliable as they depend on user a) accuracy b) consistency and c) memory. Most people are terrible at recording what their true intake actually is and I know this might be shocking, brace yourselves, but some people actually forget stuff, exaggerate or even lie on questionnaires!

Then, on this unreliable data a multivariate analysis is applied which in itself is far from perfect.

I am not discounting the results but treating them with a large degree of skepticism at this point.

Well I am discounting the results haha
  • bcattoes

and...

As well you should. I'm sure you are much better qualified to determine what is and is not valid research than those idiots at Harvard.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Perhaps it would be fair to say that I'm discounting the article, but not the research. The practical and conclusive usefulness of the research is limited, and I'd guess that the researchers would agree. I'm guessing they didn't go out looking for "journalists" to put spin on their research.

So while I'm not discounting the research, I don't find it all that interesting either...at least not until they come up with even a theory as to why there might be a link beyond happenstance.
  • AJ_G

and...

As well you should. I'm sure you are much better qualified to determine what is and is not valid research than those idiots at Harvard.

Oh so you are under the impression that because they attend Harvard that means they are infallible and design perfect studies and obtain perfect results? That's a good way to think...This was an extremely poorly designed study. As mentioned before, studies that are made using self reporting of subjects are notoriously unreliable, so the fact that the entire basis of the study is reliant on self reporting over a period of over a decade right there says something. If you want to continue to take things as true because of where they came from, and not look at the studies on their own merits and actually analyze the results yourself then that's fine, but I think it's better to question everything.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    I have this mental picture of researches sitting around over beers, laughing, and saying things like "Okay, tomorrow, we'll release a 'study' saying that breathing air will cause heart attacks."
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    There are way too many factors involved to single out something as trivial as skipping breakfast. I mean, really?
  • bcattoes

and...

Oh so you are under the impression that because they attend Harvard that means they are infallible and design perfect studies and obtain perfect results? That's a good way to think...This was an extremely poorly designed study. As mentioned before, studies that are made using self reporting of subjects are notoriously unreliable, so the fact that the entire basis of the study is reliant on self reporting over a period of over a decade right there says something. If you want to continue to take things as true because of where they came from, and not look at the studies on their own merits and actually analyze the results yourself then that's fine, but I think it's better to question everything.

Questioning =/= dismissing. qualified =/= infallible.

But I think your reply does reinforce my point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    THIS. All at risk had symptoms of being obese/overweight. So how does skipping a meal CAUSE obesity? If one doesn't consume calories, then calorie storage doesn't happen. Relation to an issue isn't a cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    There are way too many factors involved to single out something as trivial as skipping breakfast. I mean, really?

Such as? What do you think they should have factored in but didn't?
  • This content has been removed.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    1017710_331509143649595_587454648_n.jpg
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    Maybe it's just a case of men who skip breakfast have a higher incidence of other unhealthy (not saying skipping breakfast is unhealthy), such as lack of sleep, lack of exercise, smoking, excessive alcohol usage, etc that are the real culprits when it comes to heart health.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I'll file this under

"Living longer positively associated with increased rates of Mortality"
  • bcattoes
    THIS. All at risk had symptoms of being obese/overweight. So how does skipping a meal CAUSE obesity? If one doesn't consume calories, then calorie storage doesn't happen. Relation to an issue isn't a cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think you mean 'relation to an issue does not prove cause'. Nor does the study suggest it does.

Where did you see that all were overweight/obese? I have read the entire study but can't find that by just skimming. It does say that they adjusted for it though.
  • AJ_G
    Men who reported that they ate late at night were more likely to smoke, to sleep <7 hours a night, or to have baseline hypertension compared with men who did not eat late at night. The late-night eating abstainers were more likely to be married and to work full time...
    When we further adjusted for potential mediators of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia, the association between late-night eating and CHD risk was attenuated.
    Participants who did not report eating breakfast were younger than those who did and were more likely to be smokers, to work full time, to be unmarried, to be less physically active, and to drink more alcohol
  • bcattoes
    Maybe it's just a case of men who skip breakfast have a higher incidence of other unhealthy (not saying skipping breakfast is unhealthy), such as lack of sleep, lack of exercise, smoking, excessive alcohol usage, etc that are the real culprits when it comes to heart health.

Yes, that is true and mentioned in the study. As are the methods they used to adjust for those factors.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Although we adjusted for factors such as diet quality, stress, and regular physical examinations to control for a chaotic versus stable lifestyle, it is possible that eating habits could be a marker of lifestyle consistency or general health-seeking behavior. We acknowledge that the interpretation of eating habits is subjective and may have been interpreted differently by participants, especially in terms of beverages such as sugar-sweetened beverages or alcoholic drinks, because these may not have been included in the eating frequency assessment when consumed without food. The eating habits question was asked only once and did not include details on the exact times of day a participant eats or on specific nutrient composition of the different meals and snacks. Even though we did have repeated dietary assessment over the follow-up period, we cannot exclude the possibility of unmeasured confounding. The relatively homogeneous study population should reduce residual confounding as a result of unmeasured socioeconomic variability. The overall average diet quality of our study population was good, so it is not known whether our results are generalizable to other populations with lower diet quality.

Sounds about right.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    There is an important difference between:

"People who don't eat breakfast tend to be less healthy"

and

"Skipping breakfast makes you less healthy".

This difference is usually ignored when the media picks up on a headline grabbing story.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    I'll file this under

"Living longer positively associated with increased rates of Mortality"

^100% Accurate!!

I agree, though, that self reported food intake is highly inaccurate. Also, doesn't state the types of food eaten or overall caloric intake throughout the day.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Please read between the lines and understand what the "study" is truly measuring. The increased risk of heart attack isn't because individuals skip breakfast. The increased risk of heart attack is due to the already well known behavior associated with skipping breakfast - OVEREATING. Overeating, in conjunction with a sedentary lifestyle, leads to obesity, which increases the risk of heart attack.

"Researchers believe that people who skip breakfast tend to eat larger, more calorically dense meals later in the day, often late into the night, to compensate for the lack of an early morning meal."

Skipping breakfast doesn't increase the risk of having a heart attack. Many people who skip breakfast, and DON"T track their caloric intake or nutrition, tend to over eat during the day. Meal timing doesn't play a role in weight gain or loss. Caloric intake does. If skipping breakfast is part of an overall "diet" plan, and the individual is tracking calories and consuming within healthy ranges, the risk of heart attack does not increase. Take an individual that consumes maintenance calories and follows intermittent fasting. This individual doesn't break their fast until 2pm, then eats within an 8 hour window until 10pm. They haven't increased their chance of having a heart attack just because they skipped breakfast (or ate late at night, which is another asinine claim in the study).

Bottom line is obesity, sedentary lifestyle and othe factors increase the risk of a heart attack. Breakfast has nothing to do with increasing heart attack risk.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    honestly? I call bs...it sounds like a writer/editor's spin on an if/than statement.

IF people who skip breakfast overeat later in the day
    THAN those people will weight more
    Causing a higher risk in heart disease because of obesity.
    THEN we can conclude that people who skip breakfast will have more heart disease occurances.

right....

So if Johnny stayed in bed to mess around with Susie,
    Then Johnny would be late for work and have to skip breakfast,
    Causing him to be famished and eat more at lunchtime
    which led to him gaining weight
    And dying of heart disease at an earlier date due to his obesity.

ITs all Susie's fault the beotch! I bet she has a huge life insurance policy on him too...how DARE she try and satisfy his needs first thing in the morning. She prolly made him A HUGE sammich too...the wiley cow!

:noway: