Strength training other than lifting weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a bodyweight programme like nerd fitness which is how I started. But you'd probably find that monotonous too and you'd have to keep increasing the reps to make any progress.
    I do get what you mean- I find it monotonous too and am counting the time for it to be over! I work out at home so I put music on, grit my teeth and just do it. It's only 45 minutes out of my day and afterwards I'm always glad I did it. But my incentive is wanting to build muscle and keep it after years of chronic illness.
  • robyngo14
    robyngo14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    robyngo14 wrote: »
    It's the monotony I hate. Lifting a weight up to my shoulder 12 times, then repeat, etc. Because it bores me, I'm acutely aware of how uncomfortable I am, and the whole time, I'm just counting down the seconds until I'm done. On the other hand, I have a hard time getting started doing a yoga session, but once I start, I have fun.
    But running, rowing, etc. are REPETITIVE movements over long periods of time. How is this not monotony? Because it's not as difficult to do for you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But there is a big difference, for me at least. With walking and running you can zone out, think about stuff, take in the scenery, get lost in an audiobook...etc. The feeling of being nearly out of breath and the world going by is exhilarating. With lifting you need to be focused on that monotony not to break a good form so every minute of it feels longer and folds more boring to me. It's hard to explain.

This, exactly. And I do hate some forms of cardio as well, for example, rowing bores me, and music doesn't help enough to get through it; on the other hand, dancing is fun. Jogging through somewhere pretty is also nice; the changing scenery is distracting.

I've never done rock climbing before but it looks intriguing. I think I'm going to try it and see if I like it. Perhaps lifting weights would be more efficient, but the exercise that I do consistently will, in the end, be the best exercise for me.

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's the monotony I hate. Lifting a weight up to my shoulder 12 times, then repeat, etc. Because it bores me, I'm acutely aware of how uncomfortable I am, and the whole time, I'm just counting down the seconds until I'm done. On the other hand, I have a hard time getting started doing a yoga session, but once I start, I have fun.
    But running, rowing, etc. are REPETITIVE movements over long periods of time. How is this not monotony? Because it's not as difficult to do for you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But there is a big difference, for me at least. With walking and running you can zone out, think about stuff, take in the scenery, get lost in an audiobook...etc. The feeling of being nearly out of breath and the world going by is exhilarating. With lifting you need to be focused on that monotony not to break a good form so every minute of it feels longer and folds more boring to me. It's hard to explain.

This, exactly. And I do hate some forms of cardio as well, for example, rowing bores me, and music doesn't help enough to get through it; on the other hand, dancing is fun. Jogging through somewhere pretty is also nice; the changing scenery is distracting.

I've never done rock climbing before but it looks intriguing. I think I'm going to try it and see if I like it. Perhaps lifting weights would be more efficient, but the exercise that I do consistently will, in the end, be the best exercise for me.

nailed it