Gym anxiety: everyone makes mistakes at the gym, just learn to laugh at yourself

Options
KassLea22
KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Kind of something I thought about today at the gym that I wanted to share with you all and hear other people's stories. I don't know if it will mean anything to anyone, I just thought I would throw it out there.

I always see posts on here about people being afraid to go to the gym, either because they don't feel like they know they are doing or are afraid people will be looking at them and judging. It breaks my heart because I want everyone to feel self-confident and I always think that if people came just get to the point where they go to the gym and start working out, they'll realize that most people who see you at the gym are happy you are there bettering yourself.

I'm not going to say that people don't notice other people at the gym, because there's people everywhere you can't help but notice other people around you, but I really don't think it comes from a judgemental place 99% of the time. The truth is you will probably make some type of mistake. Your form maybe bad in the beginning, or you'll use a piece of equipment wrong, or you'll try to do some crazy freeweight exercise and totally fail. But that is totally natural, everyone makes mistakes. No one is born being perfect at anything. Even the superfit people that you see at the gym.

An example from today and from last week: I am a pretty physically fit person, and I have been my whole life. I have also been going to gyms my whole life and actually used to work at one in college. I have a pretty good gym routine; but last week on leg day I decided to try out some squat variations to change up my routine because I was getting bored with it. They are all things I've done in the past but I don't do them every time I'm in the gym, so it had been a while. I was trying to do the goblet squat and after doing three sets I realized that my form was completely off and I was totally doing it wrong in front of a bunch of people who probably knew I was doing it wrong. It was a really silly mistake for someone who goes to the gym often to make and I felt stupid for a second, but then I just had to laugh at myself because I made a funny mistake and probably looked totally ridiculous! And I know for sure it won't be the last time I do something silly or wrong!

I was at the gym earlier today and I was working out with a bunch of guys who were all pretty jacked, the stereotypical superfit guys easy around the gym. From going to the gym a lot I see these guys all the time and I know most of them are rarely do any type of cardio, but today one of them decided to use the stairmaster which is my total favorite. As he was working out I noticed he was one of those people who are totally slumped over on the machine, which is the incorrect way to be on a stairmaster, and had the speed up way too high where he almost couldn't keep up. I noticed him and I chuckled to myself, but not in a judgmental way. What I noticed was someone who is a total gym rat like myself, also making a silly "beginner" mistake. But I thought it was awesome that he was doing something outside of his comfort zone and trying something new like I did.

I guess my point is that everybody makes mistakes, but it's having the guts to go in and try something new that is the important thing. It's also important to laugh at yourself when you do make a silly mistake and realize that if people do you notice you, they aren't always judging you in a negative way. Yes I chuckled to myself at this guy at the gym, but I wasn't laughing at him or judging him. It actually was humbling to see another more more experienced gym go or make a silly mistake.

I'm sure there are plenty of gym goers here on my fitness pal who have also made totally silly mistakes. I guess I just wanted the people who are afraid of the gym to know that even "old pros" don't always know what we are doing!

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Great reminder. Im one of those people who is scared of going in and starting using proper weights because everyone is so much more experienced and I KNOW I'm probably doing stuff wrong. Plus I was embarrassed to be starting with just the bar. I finally just decided to suck it up and give it a try because everyone has to start somewhere. Last night was my first time out and even though I could tell a few people we watching me (as an obvious noob) it was totally fine, and some even helped me with form and to fine the right weight plates.

Good thing I have a lot of experience laughing at myself! Im sure I will have plenty of opportunity as I figure this all out!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    there's also the fact that if you keep going back for long enough, and learning, nobody's going to remember whatever derping you did at the start.

guess i notice that because i've been going to the same place a few times a week for three years. i've seen the same people in so many different physical forms and through the process of learning so many things . . . i just don't notice the individual details much anymore.

everyone's changing and growing or evolving or whatever most of the time anyway. they bulk up, they cut down, they get hurt, they change programmes, they kill it, they flail, they get on a cardio kick, they switch lifts and start learning something else from the ground up . . .
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    This was great. I used to be terrified to go to the gym by myself when I started going last year. I had a personal trainer that showed me different things I could do in the gym and how to use certain machines yet for some reason I was still afraid to even set foot into a gym by myself. It took me so long before I did and then I sort of realised that nobody really cares! They're all in there trying to do their own thing.

Like you said, everyone makes mistakes. It's just something that happens from time to time!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I've done some stupid stuff in the gym lol I onne did squats and re racked but uhm instead of taking the weights off the bar in a balanced way I took all the weights off the once side first. Needless to say load noise followed and everyone stared at me.

*kitten* happens ...