Multivitamins

Options
This morning I took a multivitamen for women and not even 1 minute later I threw it up. A friend of mine says it is the iron. I had not eaten yet because I eat after my morning workout. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had that experience before as well. I switched to the gummy variety of vitamins and can tolerate those on an empty stomach. Otherwise, just take your vitamins with food and that should help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you deficient in iron? If not, switch to a multivitamin without (men's or menopausal). The only other difference between men's and women's multivitamins is the addition of folic acid, which you can also get separately.

If you do want to increase your iron, try taking at night with vitamin C. It will help with absorption.
  • JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I thought about that.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I can't be bothered to eat breakfast, and, if I do, it's after my vitamins fit into my routine. I drink it with a glass of skim milk or half a glass of whole milk. Usually helps.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that iron can do what you described.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You threw up literally a minute after taking it? As in, within 60 seconds? Are you sure that just didn't just gag on the tablet?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I get nauseated if I take it on an empty stomach in the morning. If I take it after dinner in the evening I am fine.
  • JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You threw up literally a minute after taking it? As in, within 60 seconds? Are you sure that just didn't just gag on the tablet?

No I didn't gag on the pill. I was fine for a minute or 2 I was getting ready to go to gym and was making my bag and I felt a gagging feeling and ran to the bathroom.
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You should take a multivitamin with food, I believe some kind of fat.... I have a friend who worked at a sewage treatment plant..... He says the filters are full of 1000's multivitamins as they aren't being absorbed, so literally you are flushing your multivitamin money down the toilet.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    OP, this is exactly why I stopped taking my vitamin first thing in the morning. I now take it with my dinner in the evening with no problem.