Fitbit drama

Options
I have the charge 2 hr set up on mfp it's seems to record my steps and calories I earned from them but I did a 5 minute eork out as a tester burning 47 calories and not automatically tracked them do I needt to imputation myself

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You're only going to see the calories show up when the activity recorded by your Fitbit exceeds the activity MFP assumes for you based on your activity level.

A five minute bout of activity isn't going to be very much, so the answer is probably that you haven't moved enough yet to "earn" additional calories.

What is your activity level set to?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You may be misunderstanding how MFP & Fitbit work together.

If you use MFP without a tracker, you state your activity level (Sedentary, Lightly Active, etc.) and MFP estimates how much you burn in a day based on that. If you use a Fitbit with MFP, Fitbit sends information to MFP about how many calories you are actually burning during the day based on your movement. The difference between these two values (estimated vs actual) is what results in a Fitbit adjustment or extra calories earned.

You won't see '5 minute walk' or '27 minute run' or such calorie adjustments between Fitbit and MFP. The Fitbit app can keep track of your cardio workouts - such as the Charge 2 HR will try to recognize when you're walking, running, etc. for 15 minutes or more. (You can edit that time, I have mine set at 10, but 15 is the default.) But MFP will just show 1 adjustment each day, and the value will change each time you sync.

HEre is a numerical example:

Lets assume that based on your stats & activity level MFP expects you to burn 2400 calories per day. And lets also assume your BMR is 70 per hour. WHen getting info from Fitbit, MFP will assume you are going to burn a steady 100 per hour, because it can't really contemplate sleeping hours, waking hours and such.

So at 6am you wake up. Fitbit syncs, sees no movement and tells MPF you have actually burned 70x6=420. MFP expected 100x6 so 600. You're behind by 180 so will see -180 as an adjustment or 0 if negatives are not enabled. Don't panic, this is normal. You have not really started your day yet, of course.

Lets assume you workout in the morning. By 8am Fitbit tells MFP you have burned a total of 900. MFP now compares this to the 800 it expected as of 8am and says you are +100. Now you're ahead of schedule.

Each time MFP and Fitbit sync, this calculation is made. MFP compares your actual burn to what it expected.

Now lets say it is 9pm and you're ready to crash for the day. Fitbit says you have burned 2900. MFP says that is +800 because it expected 2100 by 9pm. But you are not going to burn 300 between 9pm and midnight, perhaps 230 for a little bit of moving around the house before you go to bed. So Fitbit's end of day # is 3130 and when you look back, MFP shows +730 instead of +800.

Unless you stay up until midnight, you will also lose a little bit of calories in the adjustment after you last sync of the day. The later in the day you sync, the less it will be. Not a big deal - just be prepared to lose 20, 30, 40 per hour. Your actual # will depend on the # of hours remaining in the day and the difference between your BMR/RMR and what MFP expects you to burn per hour.