Does anyone eat their exercise calories while losing?

Options

Replies

• don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    don9992 wrote: »
    I'm on an MFP program of 1500 calories per day. I also take a spinning class on Mondays, do 45 minutes on an elliptical every Friday morning and either power walk 2-3 miles or cycle > 15 miles on 3 other days of the week.

I try to avoid eating my exercise calories and still keep my intake between 1200 and 1500 per day but, when I finish off each day, I seem to get yelled at a lot by MFP. It keeps claiming I should be consuming at least 1200/day even though I'm normally exceeding that. Why am I getting that feedback?

Because 1,500 is the minimum recommended for a man (which it seems like you may be, based on your name and your profile pic). You're eating below that and, additionally, driving your net even lower by not eating back the calories you burn through activity. MFP is claiming you should be eating more because -- according to the facts you gave here -- you really should be eating more.

NET calories? I'd have to eat around 2000 calories. Too much!

For an active man? Certainly not. I'm a small (108 pound) woman and I maintain my weight on about 1,900 calories a day. Assuming you entered your data correctly, why would you assume that MFP is giving you incorrect numbers?

Okay, okay....I get it. Let's just say too much for my purposes right now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I eat half. 1) I've lurked enough in the forums to notice all the post (and the infamous flow chart) saying that MFP and fitness machines can overestimate the burns. 2) I've always used measuring cups for solids. As much as I recognize that this is less accurate than weighing, I use American cookbooks a lot and sometimes, I can't be bothered to Google 'weight of 1 cup flour' or the cup of grapes I have with my Greek yogurt in the morning. Not eating back all my calories gives me a bit of a cushion that is—thus far—helping the weight come off. (If and when I plateau, tightening up my weights and measures will probably be the first thing I do.)

I have this page bookmarked: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

Plus the bag of flour has the grams for 1/4 C, so I just multiply that by 4.

I label other foods.

I do use cups for white sugar, as it is very consistent.

I definitely weigh brown sugar. Most of my recipes call for "packed" brown sugar, which must be super smashed in there!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm on an MFP program of 1500 calories per day. I also take a spinning class on Mondays, do 45 minutes on an elliptical every Friday morning and either power walk 2-3 miles or cycle > 15 miles on 3 other days of the week.

I try to avoid eating my exercise calories and still keep my intake between 1200 and 1500 per day but, when I finish off each day, I seem to get yelled at a lot by MFP. It keeps claiming I should be consuming at least 1200/day even though I'm normally exceeding that. Why am I getting that feedback?

Because 1,500 is the minimum recommended for a man (which it seems like you may be, based on your name and your profile pic). You're eating below that and, additionally, driving your net even lower by not eating back the calories you burn through activity. MFP is claiming you should be eating more because -- according to the facts you gave here -- you really should be eating more.

For an active man? Certainly not. I'm a small (108 pound) woman and I maintain my weight on about 1,900 calories a day. Assuming you entered your data correctly, why would you assume that MFP is giving you incorrect numbers?

What is your purpose right now?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    I never eat them back. To me that is the reward for doing the hard work. I always try to stay just under what my initial calorie count for the day is. But that is just me. Some might think this is too aggressive but I have lost 20 pounds over a coarse of about 2 months. Which to me doesn't seem extreme.

Depends on how much you have to lose. 10 lbs/month is greater than 2 lbs/week which is only recommended if you have >75 lbs to lose. Do you have 75 lbs or more to lose?

And MFP is designed to provide you a calorie target excluding exercise, so that if you do NO exercise, you would lose at the rate you selected, providing your logging is accurate. By doing exercise, and then not eating back your calories, you are creating a larger deficit, which can have negative effects including fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, sallow skin, etc. Not to mention just not eating enough calories to fuel your activity level.

I agree that this could happen. But I also think that if one experiences NONE of those things, and in fact feels great, and their DR., at their physical is saying all is well, that it's most likely that they are not in enough of a deficit to be concerned.

One problem with this reasoning is that symptoms of malnutrition like hair loss don't show for months. And you likely wouldn't be aware of bone loss for years.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Office weight loss competition.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I eat half. 1) I've lurked enough in the forums to notice all the post (and the infamous flow chart) saying that MFP and fitness machines can overestimate the burns. 2) I've always used measuring cups for solids. As much as I recognize that this is less accurate than weighing, I use American cookbooks a lot and sometimes, I can't be bothered to Google 'weight of 1 cup flour' or the cup of grapes I have with my Greek yogurt in the morning. Not eating back all my calories gives me a bit of a cushion that is—thus far—helping the weight come off. (If and when I plateau, tightening up my weights and measures will probably be the first thing I do.)

I have this page bookmarked: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

I label other foods.

I definitely weigh brown sugar. Most of my recipes call for "packed" brown sugar, which must be super smashed in there!

Thanks! I've added it to my bookmarks, too. I think a lot of it is habit and conditioning. I've been involved with recipes since I was a pre-schooler (Mom taught me to read when I was three and had me reading recipes, measuring, and stirring from about that age; she'd take over when it came time to move on to the oven). It's always been with cups and spoons for dry measures. And, of course, when the cookbook tells you to use cups and spoons and you've always done it, it's easy to just keep going like you always have. Eventually I'll do this often enough that I'll form a new habit and stop patting myself on the back to congratulate myself each time I remember...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I label other foods.

Thanks! I've added it to my bookmarks, too. I think a lot of it is habit and conditioning. I've been involved with recipes since I was a pre-schooler (Mom taught me to read when I was three and had me reading recipes, measuring, and stirring from about that age; she'd take over when it came time to move on to the oven). It's always been with cups and spoons for dry measures. And, of course, when the cookbook tells you to use cups and spoons and you've always done it, it's easy to just keep going like you always have. Eventually I'll do this often enough that I'll form a new habit and stop patting myself on the back to congratulate myself each time I remember...

Anyone know how it came about? The whole cups as measures for everything thing? We pilfer a lot of things from the US here in the UK but this never made it (for which I am eternally grateful).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Office weight loss competition.

Oh, I see that now. Thanks.
  • eroneree
    eroneree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories and still seem to be losing weight at a rate faster than MFP is estimating. I'm set to sedentary activity level (desk job) and I'm doing P90X every day. I set my workouts manually for between 400 and 650 calories depending on which routine it is. Even the days where I go very slightly over my allowance I'm still losing weight.

I try to brutally honest in my logging of food. And I don't want to be skinny, I want to improve my strength so it doesn't make sense to starve myself IMO.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    eroneree wrote: »
    I eat back my exercise calories and still seem to be losing weight at a rate faster than MFP is estimating. I'm set to sedentary activity level (desk job) and I'm doing P90X every day. I set my workouts manually for between 400 and 650 calories depending on which routine it is. Even the days where I go very slightly over my allowance I'm still losing weight.

I try to brutally honest in my logging of food. And I don't want to be skinny, I want to improve my strength so it doesn't make sense to starve myself IMO.
    Reassess your activity level to "lightly active"? After I noticed I was losing at my desired rate, despite going way over on calories most days, I ended up looking for a better description of what sedentary and lightly active might comprise elsewhere, and realised I was definitely in the wrong category.

You might have a desk job, but do you actually sit there like an immobile blob for eight hours a day?

65oydhxe0yw6.jpg

http://krupp.wcc.hawaii.edu/BIOL100L/nutrition/energy.pdf
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the replies.

Yes, I eat my exercise calories as the site intends.
  • eroneree
    eroneree Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You might have a desk job, but do you actually sit there like an immobile blob for eight hours a day?

You found the PERFECT description of how I spend eight (plus) hours every day! And my wife might agree about me being under the care of someone else!

But maybe the housework / putting the kids to bed stuff is bumping me up to Lightly Active. I started with Sedentary to be on the safe side and I still have fat that needs to come off so I haven't changed my intake yet. Losing about 2 pounds per week but muscle mass and strength still increasing so I'll stick with what's working for now.

Thanks for the descriptions!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I am hungry. Usually exercising reduces my appetite so if I have an appetite for food I consider it a true need to eat. I track the calories and try to stay within a reasonable amount of my goal for the day.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    One problem with this reasoning is that symptoms of malnutrition like hair loss don't show for months. And you likely wouldn't be aware of bone loss for years.

For what it's worth, I am 61. And I have had 2 bone density tests in the last 10 years - the last one was in the last year. Results? I have excellent bones. So all good there. :)
  • phlegmfatale1
    phlegmfatale1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    good question. i am a little confused. i work a desk job, work out 3-4 times a week (run ~18 min @ 6mph, light lifting + yoga), and walk about 10,000 steps a day. most of the day i am sitting if not for this exercise. i synced my iphone to MFP to log my steps as exercise and eat the calories back, as 1200 seems very low and the exercise calories MFP projects seem small too (~100 calories for 11,000 steps???) i'm plateauing, should i change my settings / routine?
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I dont...I dont even log workoiuts because i trick myself into eating more.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Reassess your activity level to "lightly active"? After I noticed I was losing at my desired rate, despite going way over on calories most days, I ended up looking for a better description of what sedentary and lightly active might comprise elsewhere, and realised I was definitely in the wrong category.

65oydhxe0yw6.jpg

Well, my desk job does require that I be seated in order to actually work. And there is plenty of disagreement out there from that definition.

This is right off of the MFP site.
    s2lglgr1y8to.jpg

http://www.sedentarybehaviour.org/what-is-sedentary-behaviour/

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. One.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

65oydhxe0yw6.jpg

Well, my desk job does require that I be seated in order to actually work. And there is plenty of disagreement out there from that definition.

This is right off of the MFP site.
    s2lglgr1y8to.jpg

http://www.sedentarybehaviour.org/what-is-sedentary-behaviour/
    Thanks! But yeah, have seen the MFP definitions. Very sparse aren't they? They're what I used to pick my settings initially, which turned out to be wrong. Since then, I've looked for more detailed descriptions elsewhere, and found them.

The MFP ones are brief and easy to use, which naturally gives a lot of room for error.For example, "sitting most of the day" could mean Anne who really does sit there all day, but it also includes Sharon who gets the coffee, fetches new paper for the printer from the stationery cupboard on the next floor and brings Anne, Georgie and Ellen their print-outs on her way back to her own desk