2»

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    tufntender wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    tufntender wrote: »
    I actually gained 5 lb within perhaps 4 days. I couldn't believe it, but I remembered that I had stopped my blood pressure meds because my pressure was almost too low. So I started one again, it is supposed to help get rid of Sodium, anyway...I didn't weigh myself for a while because the 5 lb gain shocked me somewhat I usually weigh every day or every other day but when I finally did. I lost the 5 lb and a pound and a half. We are talking within a weeks time.So, seems like was just retaining water/ sodium. Do you eat a lot of salt? Do you sweat when you walk/ jog?

Ai ai ai, what? Does your doctor know about this?

Kinda sorta. I was told to monitor and to gradually decrease meds if needed. Since I started the HZT ( Hydrochlorothiazide) again I feel less bloated, but time for a full check up soon. Unfortunately ,I do not have insurance and it costs about 300 bucks including Lab work etc.

"gradually decrease" =/= "jump straight off and then jump straight back on again because weight loss".
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I really believe you are not eating enough. Your body is not getting enough fuel and it is holding onto fat. What you are burning is muscle. I would up your calories to at least 1800 and track your macros. 30% fat, 35% protein and 35% carbs. Also, add some weight training into your routine 2-3 times a week. Muscle is what burns fat. Try it for a week or two and see what happens.

The body does not "hold onto fat" if one is undereating. How does that even make sense?

Here you go:

http://www.stack.com/a/undereating

This is a simple explanation. I am trained in nutrition, I am not making this up.

I'd ask for a refund on your training costs.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options

That is a very good article, nice find.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    OP, when I first started calorie counting and exercising again I lost nothing for 3 weeks. Then the 4th week I dropped 4 pounds. I assume the water retention from being more active again was the culprit!
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wont debate the not eating enough...i will only tell you my experience....was doing everything the same as i had been previously except for 4 weeks i did not lose a thing....i was eating 1200 cals...hubby said i was not getting enough to fuel my body....up'd my cals to 1590....boom down 4lbs in a week and back on track to losing again. People argue that "starvation mode" is a myth and back this up by using anorexics/starving children as examples....well i believe the difference is that they are getting minimal/no food explaining their body composition...where as too few calries wont result in literally starving but will trigger the body into slowing down or holding onto food until it gets fed what it needs. Good luck :)
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The body does not hold onto food. We need resources for energy when we eat to few calories this energy must come from somewhere.

Anyways, This was me op. No weight loss for a few weeks then I had a "whoosh". Reassess in another 2 weeks. Maybe you could start measuring?
  • beemac52014
    beemac52014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that you are not alone. At age 50, I have to figure 3-4 weeks to lose a pound. Sounds like you are doing the right things, just hang in there!
  • nikkibay8
    nikkibay8 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you are undereating. Read the book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. I'm halfway through and it has educated me incredibly on food intake and exercise!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm up .4 lbs from 3/16. I'm doing everything right. It pisses me off but sometimes that is just the way it is. Trying to get under 250 and it just isn't happening.

So I'm just keeping at it knowing one day I will be down 3-4 lbs and then it will start all over again. I did the same thing at 258.

And there is 2.1 gone in a day. If history is any indication, I'm under 250 for good.

Another 1.4 down today. So the keeping at it and waiting for the whoosh has paid off for me. Down 3.5 in 2 days when I was stuck for almost 2 weeks gets me right back on the expected 2 lb per week loss.

It sucks but the math does work out in the end. Probably be a bit up tomorrow (sushi lunch today), but in short, keep at it for more than a 3 weeks and then decide if you need to change things up.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I really believe you are not eating enough. Your body is not getting enough fuel and it is holding onto fat. What you are burning is muscle. I would up your calories to at least 1800 and track your macros. 30% fat, 35% protein and 35% carbs. Also, add some weight training into your routine 2-3 times a week. Muscle is what burns fat. Try it for a week or two and see what happens.

The body does not "hold onto fat" if one is undereating. How does that even make sense?

Here you go:

This is a simple explanation. I am trained in nutrition, I am not making this up.

If you trained, then you should know better to not believe everything you read. That article is bunk. You may as well believe in unicorns.

http://www.fitmole.org/8-ridiculous-myths-everyone-believes-about-their-metabolism/

https://www.sciencestrength.com/sciencestrength/2017/1/19/debunking-the-metabolic-damage-myth
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Here you go:

It's called adaptive themogenesis. Starvation mode is not real. Myth. Fantasy. I used to think it was but I researched extensively after one of the first posts I read when starting. Starvation mode is a psychological response, an excuse.
  • nestep1971
    nestep1971 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed carbs man.