Row Machine

Options
I have a magnetic row machine that I recently purchased to help me achieve my weight loss goal. I've been using it five days a week for 40-50 minutes at a moderate pace and setting. Is there a "system" for how I should be adjusting the resistance setting throughout the workout to maximize caloric burn? I do feel the burn a little, but if I row to quickly to increase my heart rate I feel my knees get tight.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Regarding systems, look up Tabatas, and cut down on all that time rowing. Tabata's are an efficient and effective way to maximize cardio-calories burns. Also, if you have Spotify they have Tabata playlists you can do your workout too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGD0CTE1Ylk

• MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun thank you! I'll check it out ;)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    @nakedraygun thank you! I'll check it out ;)

Great!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FWIT I'm trying a routine on the row machine at the gym where I warm up for 5 minutes (1K) and then do 10 body weight squats. then row hard for two minutes (500 meters) followed by 10 6 count burpees (those are the ones with a push up in the middle and a jump at the end). Rest one minute and do it again for a total of three groups. This is then followed by a cool down of ten minutes at 2:30 minutes for each 500 meters pace. I feel the cardio and feel a burn. The whole work out take about a half hour.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    I have a magnetic row machine that I recently purchased to help me achieve my weight loss goal. I've been using it five days a week for 40-50 minutes at a moderate pace and setting. Is there a "system" for how I should be adjusting the resistance setting throughout the workout to maximize caloric burn? I do feel the burn a little, but if I row to quickly to increase my heart rate I feel my knees get tight.

If you're only interested in calorie expenditure then steady pace for as long as you can sustain is the way to go. Much of the hype about HIIT and Tabata is nonsense. They have a place but you need to build the aerobic base. There is an injury risk, and as you highlight you could easily damage your knees if your form is off.

I use mine for x-training and would generally aim for a 1K warm up then 8K in about 35 minutes and a final 1K cool down.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With rowing your form is paramount.

Personally I think trying to do HIIT on a rowing machine is a recipe for bad form and injuring yourself, especially if you are a relative beginner.
    Interval training (vast proportion isn't HIIT at all...) can be great for fitness / performance improvements but that doesn't seem to be your primary goal.

Maximum calorie burn isn't achieved by doing intervals either - fastest you can sustain for the entire time you have available would be your maximal burn.

Easiest way to burn more calories is to increase your duration/distance and frequency of training of course!