Hypoglycemia

Options
whitpauly
whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
I have hypoglycemia and every time I try to cut back on food my blood sugar crashes hard! Any tips?

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You need to find the foods that keep your blood sugar stable. If I don't get enough carbs I crash. I had to try different foods and different meal/ snack timing.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure you are having adequate intake of slow carbs such as whole grains?
  • whitpauly
    Options
    Maybe it is the wrong carbs/not enough? I thought doing high protein low carb would help but maybe its backfiring?
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You might be insulin resistant, meaning anything starchy or sugary, causes spikes, then crashes and your body simply cannot keep up. I was this way for the first few weeks after I changed my diet...I no longer eat any starchy vegetables, no high sugar fruits, no grains and no sugar and I no longer have that rollercoaster of my blood sugar spiking and dropping.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most people will not be hypoglycemic unless they are taking insulin. Usually. Are you T1D?

I had reactive hypoglycemia. After I ate my BG rose but by the second hour it dropped sharply below where I started from. I was not actually hypoglycemic but I had cold sweats, shakes, headaches, and dropping BP like I was hypoglycemic... Often a sign of insulin resistance.

I started a LCHF ketogenic diet to treat my insulin resistance. Because my body is no longer reliant on glucose (carbs) for fuel, I no longer experience the BG rollercoaster. No more afternoon nap time. No more shakes and needing to eat every two hours.

Cutting carbs is not for everyone, but when it works it really works. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I had hypoglycemia and for me, my blood sugar stays way more stable if I eat low carb/high fat/adequate protein. But I agree you may need to experiment to see what works best for you. Also, maybe try reducing your intake more gradually so you don't experience those crashes?
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Something you can try is more frequent smaller meals. I generally try to eat a few 100-300 calorie quick meals/snacks every few hours and it actually stabilized my sugar and helped me lose some weight. When it comes to blood sugar levels every person is different. For instance, when my sugar drops I eat a red apple and my sugar spikes fast but a green apple has little effect.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Choose lower glycemic carbs, avoiding processed and refined carbs. Have protein with carbs never carbs alone. Soluble fiber foods- they help slow down absorption and elevation of blood sugar levels. Have smaller evenly spaced meals 5-6 a day eat at least every 2-3 hours
  • whitpauly
    Options
    Still having these horrible crashes! I get shaky,hot,feel dizzy,etc it's seemed to have gotten worse and I'm eating more throughout the day I've ended up gaining 4 lbs in 2 months,going in the wrong direction :(
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I can't help but think you are eating the wrong carbs if you are gaining weight. I don't know if you eat meat, but if you do, try grilled or baked meats and steamed non-starchy vegetables. Try some snacks with fruit. You need to get a handle on this, because all this crashing is dangerous and can land you in the hospital. When you crash, I assume you are taking hard candy or juice to help your body recover.
    Perhaps your medicine is not working for you and you need a different medication. With all the new ones out there, surely they can find something that will work for you. Also, do you check your blood glucose before you eat?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Still having these horrible crashes! I get shaky,hot,feel dizzy,etc it's seemed to have gotten worse and I'm eating more throughout the day I've ended up gaining 4 lbs in 2 months,going in the wrong direction :(

How much weight do you have to lose, and how much of a calorie deficit are you trying to stay in?

Was your hypoglycemia well controlled before you started dieting? Or were you just diagnosed? Did your doctor give you any guidance or refer you to a dietitian?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I can't help but think you are eating the wrong carbs if you are gaining weight. I don't know if you eat meat, but if you do, try grilled or baked meats and steamed non-starchy vegetables. Try some snacks with fruit. You need to get a handle on this, because all this crashing is dangerous and can land you in the hospital. When you crash, I assume you are taking hard candy or juice to help your body recover.
    Perhaps your medicine is not working for you and you need a different medication. With all the new ones out there, surely they can find something that will work for you. Also, do you check your blood glucose before you eat?

carbs are carbs there are no right or wrong carbs for weight gain. weight gain is caused by too many calories. carbs dont cause weight gain unless it puts you in a surplus. same with protein and fats
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    See your doc.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I found upping my protein helped my hypoglycemia a lot!!!! I also try not to just eat straight up sugar as I crash shortly after.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I found upping my protein helped my hypoglycemia a lot!!!! I also try not to just eat straight up sugar as I crash shortly after.

Yes, I've never been diagnosed with hypoglycemia but did have afternoon crashes which went away when I:
    1. Upped protein
    2. Decreased carbs slightly
    3. Replaced bread made from flour with bread from sprouted grains. Brands such as Ezekial/Food for Life are available in the freezer section in all my local supermarkets. Yes, it is more expensive than bread made from flour, but since bread is no longer a staple for me it didn't matter. And it was worth it to not have those afternoon crashes.
    4. Get in some exercise on my lunch break.