Keto !!!

Replies

• FadedGoddess325
    FadedGoddess325 Posts: 9 Member
    Try the website ruled.me (personal fave) or Pinterest. Even a Google search for "keto recipes" will get you something good. If you know what ingredients you can use, you can just throw something together too!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    ^^^also good point.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    I've been on a keto diet since the beginning of March. I'm supposed to be doing on a 5 days on/1 day off basis but still staying within my set MFP calorie limit so I get a steady weight loss. Working out so far, but I actually have more trouble on my days off than any of the others. I spent my last one wandering around the supermarket for about 15 minutes just trying to find something that wouldn't skyrocket over my daily allowance in the first mouthful (I only have a microwave at work so preparing stuff isn't practical). For my next I think I'll just stick to my usual pile of steak & eggs and just top up my carbs with Haribo or something.

Anyway, I don't really have recipes to share. Sometimes I put soy on my steak, sometimes not. Sometimes I put sriracha on everything, sometimes not. I eat so much scrambled eggs it's starting to erode my sanity, but I really hate making decisions about things I find boring (like making meals) so I keep on keepin' on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    OK well keto folks cut out carbs for health reasons too. Or a good portion of them do. Primarily diabetics or IR. I'm not singling you out so please don't take it that way. I've just seen SO many comments about this on keto and virtually none on the other ways of eating. It's just something interesting I've picked up reading the forums.

I think many try keto for weight loss, but I think that those of us who stick with it are usually in it for the health benefits. Which makes sense. It was originally promoted for health reasons. It just works for many for weight loss too (due to appetite suppression, less cravings, and a very slight metabolic benefit - in some).

I call shennigans on that appetite suppressant effect :p . Just soo little foods volume. Lol.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I have no idea where keto means appetite suppression. On days where I do accidental keto (meaning I eat high fats + low carbs without realizing it), I feel hungry as hell...and it's even worse when I go to the gym. So because you never feel hungry, it doesn't mean keto does that to everyone.

How often do you eat low carb? It is my understanding that for your body to become fat adapted you had to be in ketosis for 3 days to a week (for most people). That may explain your hunger, although keto isn't for everyone, I too don't get as hungry and my cravings have just about disappeared.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have a question ... seriously. Why is it folks say keto is soooo restrictive while it's not said to vegans or vegetarians?

Vegetarians and vegans aren't eliminating an entire macro-nutrient. Not eating any animal products would be too restrictive for me, but not as restrictive as eliminating and entire macro. I frequently eat vegetarian...I get plenty of all three macro-nutrients when I do so.

• Holland1104
    Holland1104 Posts: 2 Member
    Check out I Breathe I'm Hungry she has fantastic meal plans and all the recipes you need. Very informative. I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks and then found out I am prego so I have adjusted my diet but it definitely works! Good luck. :-)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    marm1962 wrote: »
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I have no idea where keto means appetite suppression. On days where I do accidental keto (meaning I eat high fats + low carbs without realizing it), I feel hungry as hell...and it's even worse when I go to the gym. So because you never feel hungry, it doesn't mean keto does that to everyone.

How often do you eat low carb? It is my understanding that for your body to become fat adapted you had to be in ketosis for 3 days to a week (for most people). That may explain your hunger, although keto isn't for everyone, I too don't get as hungry and my cravings have just about disappeared.

That didn't matter for me. I was keto for a few months and was always hungry. Carbs actually satiate me.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have a question ... seriously. Why is it folks say keto is soooo restrictive while it's not said to vegans or vegetarians?

Vegetarians and vegans aren't eliminating an entire macro-nutrient. Not eating any animal products would be too restrictive for me, but not as restrictive as eliminating and entire macro. I frequently eat vegetarian...I get plenty of all three macro-nutrients when I do so.

I just find this a double standard. Keto folks eat carbs just not a lot of them. Leafy greens, nuts, berries etc. Some eat more some eat less. So they havent totally eliminated a macro at all. Just reduced it to their preference. I mean sure there are some that take it to zero carb but seems to me most do get some carbs. But others totally eliminate meat and even though its not a macro it's still an elimination and that is apparently ok. They don't get hassled about it because ... reasons.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member

I just find this a double standard. Keto folks eat carbs just not a lot of them. Leafy greens, nuts, berries etc. Some eat more some eat less. So they havent totally eliminated a macro at all. Just reduced it to their preference. I mean sure there are some that take it to zero carb but seems to me most do get some carbs. But others totally eliminate meat and even though its not a macro it's still an elimination and that is apparently ok. They don't get hassled about it because ... reasons.

True, there's a big difference between zero carb and keto, and even within keto, there's a range. Some people stay under 20 gm carbs total/day. Some people are up to 50 gm/day of net carbs (I knew a few who stay in ketosis with even more carbs than that b/c of intense exercise). You can fit a number of servings of non-starchy veggies into that along with nuts, seeds, dairy, maybe some berries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017

Lol...you don't think vegetarians and vegans get hassled for their diets? You must live under a rock.

Also, less than 50 grams of carbs per day is basically nothing...effectively you've eliminated an entire macro which is going to substantially restrict you from eating a whole host of foods, not just meat.

Also, I see people frequently comment on vegan diets being overly restrictive if one is just doing it for weight loss or whatever. Most vegans do it for ethical reasons...it's a pretty rigid diet.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

orly.jpg

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    OK last response so I can have some time under my rock.

Vegans have a very rigid diet Never said they didn't. My whole point was I don't see folks getting their undies in a knot over it! It's live and let live until it comes to keto. Then there comes all the so restrictive, eliminating a whole macro comments when for a good portion of people it's a reduction according to their preference and health needs or whatever makes them feel better physically. I don't get why that is so different from other ways of eating. Because there isn't an "ethical reason" behind it? Someone's curiosity is peaked so they seek information whether it's weight loss or other issues and here it all comes!

It's possible I've missed a ton of "vegan/vegetarian don't eat this way threads" ... so there is that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    OK well keto folks cut out carbs for health reasons too. Or a good portion of them do. Primarily diabetics or IR. I'm not singling you out so please don't take it that way. I've just seen SO many comments about this on keto and virtually none on the other ways of eating. It's just something interesting I've picked up reading the forums.

I think many try keto for weight loss, but I think that those of us who stick with it are usually in it for the health benefits. Which makes sense. It was originally promoted for health reasons. It just works for many for weight loss too (due to appetite suppression, less cravings, and a very slight metabolic benefit - in some).

I call shennigans on that appetite suppressant effect :p . Just soo little foods volume. Lol.

LOL My family thinks I am starving myself because there is so little volume to my food. I use a salad plate for most meals. A dinner of a 4oz steak with some butter on it, and some green beans doesn't take up much space. The same goes for when I have nuts for a meal - a few hundred calories of coconut, cacao nibs, macadamia nuts and almonds is just a small bowl!

LCHF is hard on volume eaters!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2017

Neither are low carbers or keto'ers. Its low carb, and not no-carb.

It's restricting some plant foods. Just restricting it. Whereas vegetarians and vegans eliminate animal products entirely. IDK. They have a similar level of restriction. IMO. If anything vegetarianism almost seems stricter. No animal at all.

I think it comes down to vegetarianism is more socially acceptable. It's been popular longer. I imagine that in North America, 70+ years ago, vegetarians were thought to be quite extreme.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Google low carb recipes or keto recipes. also website dietdoctor.com has recipes (you dont have to buy anything) also lowcarbisland.com there are others