Not enough potassium

Options
KristyDonovan
KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Despite all my efforts I have not succeeded in getting my daily allowance of potassium. Firstly, I am vegan. I never seem to get more than 2,000 mg. I eat lots of leafy greens (I add spinach to just about everything!), red and sweet potatoes and other potassium rich foods. I've never had a doctor complain about my potassium levels when I get blood tests. I've started to take potassium supplements but the FDA only allows over the counter potassium to me 99mg. I need a prescription for anything higher. I dislike the taste of bananas and would be saddened to eat 100 calories of something I hate just to get more potassium. I'm willing to do it though. Ideas?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    coconut water
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is your potassium actually low? Or are you just noticing that when you check your potassium intake on here, it isn't hitting where you want it to be?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Many of the food entries here do not include potassium. When I started tracking potassium I ended up entering my own food entries. Even then it is not accurate since up until the new nutritional labels take affect food manufacturers are not required to list it. I had to research to find the info.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Many of the food entries here do not include potassium. When I started tracking potassium I ended up entering my own food entries. Even then it is not accurate since up until the new nutritional labels take affect food manufacturers are not required to list it. I had to research to find the info.

This. I wouldn't bother looking at micronutrient content on mfp. Most entries don't have this information... Plus, having accuracy in an entry would be difficult. Actual micronutrient content of food would vary so much!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're Vegan and not hitting over 2000 mg of potassium per day, you are either literally starving, or living on processed "Vegan junk food". I'd check the accuracy of the entries that you are logging. As many have stated, potassium is often not included. Look for USDA entries, if nothing else.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this same thing. Thanks for asking.