How to start running?

Hi! I'm interested in getting back into running. I used to run 5ks and things in high school and now I can hardly walk up a single flight of stairs without having the wind knocked out of me. I do well with plans, so, does anybody have a running plan? (Like day one: one min run, 5 min walk, 4x; day two: ect.)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2017
    Couch to 5K is pretty solid.

If you can walk for 30 minutes then it'll be fine for you.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Almost everyone here will recommend Couchto5k.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Yep, C25k is great. I did it to start running a few years ago. I actually like to go back and use it for interval walk/runs even now and I'm doing the whole program again as a fun activity with my daughter now.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just make sure you are able to walk at least 30 minutes before starting C25K, but it is a good plan. You can find an app for your phone for it. I did the Zen Labs one, which is 8 weeks while most are 9.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    There are a lot of variations on plans designed to take you from the couch to a 5K. Pick one you like, and go with it. If the first week is too challenging for where you are right now, build yourself a remedial pre-program. For example, if the first day calls for run 1 minute, walk 5 minutes and you find you can't run a full minute, you might take a week of run 30 seconds, walk 5 minutes before starting the plan at run 1 minute, walk 5.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I used personal running trainer from amazon. From what I've heard it is a lot like c25K. They also have 4 weeks to a mile for those real beginners. Truth be told, after a surgery, I started walking; first the length of my deck, then around the block, then around two blocks, then a mile up to three miles. Then, while on vacation, during a walk scheduled to be 4 miles, I slowly ran a half mile, walked a half and so forth. Didn't realize I had a Couch 2 ? plan of my own. Got to Personal Running Trainer just for the "structure". Did a Half marathon this past September, (two years from the surgery) all from starting with a walk down the length of my deck ;-)
  • Picoides
    Picoides Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Another vote for C25K (I used the Zen Labs app, but did it on a treadmill).

When I started working out last fall, I could barely run for a 1 minute stretch. Then this winter, I did C25K and now I can run the full 5k with no problem. I go reallllly slow (4.1 mph some days, so the 5K takes 45 min) but at least I can do it. Now I'm working on building up my speed, doing shorter runs of 20-30 min but faster.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited March 2017
    Picoides wrote: »

When I started working out last fall, I could barely run for a 1 minute stretch. Then this winter, I did C25K and now I can run the full 5k with no problem. I go reallllly slow (4.1 mph some days, so the 5K takes 45 min) but at least I can do it. Now I'm working on building up my speed, doing shorter runs of 20-30 min but faster.

If you want to get faster, go further. Keep going slowly and add distance each week. Work your way up to 10k and your 5k time will increase decrease (thanks for the correction @pondee629 :smile: ).

Another thought for the OP... Check with your local running store to see if they have a beginners running program. Running with a class/group is great motivation.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Ease into it. Light jog, couple of times a week for 20-40mins, gradually increase in duration and frequency. Be patient. Over time you would build stamina and Endurance.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

If you want to get faster, go further. Keep going slowly and add distance each week. Work your way up to 10k and your 5k time will increase.

Another thought for the OP... Check with your local running store to see if they have a beginners running program. Running with a class/group is great motivation.

You really mean that your SPEED will increase and that your 5K TIME will DECREASE, right? ;-)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Going to a specialty running store to get fitted and then doing C25K are my recommendations. Made a huge difference for me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    C25k or Galloway training method.
    Hi! I'm interested in getting back into running. I used to run 5ks and things in high school and now I can hardly walk up a single flight of stairs without having the wind knocked out of me. I do well with plans, so, does anybody have a running plan? (Like day one: one min run, 5 min walk, 4x; day two: ect.)

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

If you want to get faster, go further. Keep going slowly and add distance each week. Work your way up to 10k and your 5k time will increase.

You really mean that your SPEED will increase and that your 5K TIME will DECREASE, right? ;-)

Fixed it, thanks. Yeah, you don't want your time to increase. :blush:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Now I'm working on building up my speed, doing shorter runs of 20-30 min but faster.

Personally I'd generally advocate not bothering with speedwork until you can run at least 10K three to four times per week. A decent speed session, including a proper warm up and cool down, needs that sort of time commitment.

fwiw just building up to 10K, as identified above, will improve the easy pace for shorter distances
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Just for some variety I'll add the programme from the book Run Fat *kitten* Run by Ruth Field. Well worth a read, it's written by a lawyer who is a new mum of twins.
    If you want an app- the Zen labs couch to 5k is popular.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Kitten = bit*h
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    How about this: Start slow.
    When I started running, I was a two-pack-a-day smoker.
    The first time i went out to run, I went around the outside of my apartment building, once. I did that "run" for about a week or more.
    Then I went around twice for a while.
    The reason this worked was that it got me used to running and it produced a little bit of improvement, but it wasn't so grueling that it was too uncomfortable and I quit.
    The problem with starting to run is that people want to go fast and far right away. That's not fun and they quit. A person needs to have enough patience to establish the habit before they really push to improve.
    I was going down the block in about a month, I believe, and i gradually extended the distances from there. I believe that I was already getting the positive feelings that one gets from running at that point -- the sense of accomplishment, the cleansing sweat, the "runner's high" feeling of slight euphoria, the energy that comes from waking your body up.
    Good luck
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Going to a specialty running store to get fitted and then doing C25K are my recommendations. Made a huge difference for me.

^^This. I'm entering week 6 of C25K, after walking 30 minutes at a good pace a few months leading up to it. Great program. And I HIGHLY recommend getting fitted for proper shoes. I'm pretty sure I would have quit this again, with my typical complaints of pain and discomfort. Love my new shoes, I don't hurt like I did before, and I'm finding that I really enjoy running. Good luck!