What's a good exercise for lower back pain?

joowelz
joowelz Posts: 170 Member
Before i lived in a condo and had my own gym downstairs, i used to go to Goodlife. It had this great machine that you would stand on, on an angle, and bend forward, then lift back up to an erect position. My back was strong back then. Now, because my condo gym doesnt have such a machine, i believe my back has weakened, which is why it gets strained so often.

What's a good exercise for building lower back strength without a gym machine?

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Back extension. Lay on the corner of the couch, half on the couch and half not on the couch.
  • joowelz
    Do you have a picture? It's hard to picture that @kaizaku
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    joowelz wrote: »
    Do you have a picture? It's hard to picture that @kaizaku

Sure. Click the link https://goo.gl/images/R1blmR
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Bent over rows. You can do with barbells or dumbbells.
    Also, deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Just hang on a pull up bar, it will "undo" your back. it feels great, I try to do it a couple of times a day.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Kettlebell swings will strengthen your posterior chain. Strengthening your posterior chain can help alleviate lower back.pain. The fundamental movement of the KB swing is a hip hinge. The machine you described sounds like it forced you to hinge st the hips. Deadlifts also require a proper hip hinge and strengthen the posterior chain.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    joowelz wrote: »
    Now, because my condo gym doesnt have such a machine, i believe my back has weakened, which is why it gets strained so often.

Maybe, maybe not. The usual cause of back pain isn't a lack of back strength but a failure of the abdominal muscles to support the back while moving. Sitting too much can contribute too. If you're unsure of the cause, it's probably best to see a sport physical therapist, sports orthopedist, etc. In the mean time, i would avoid explosive exercises, like the kettlebell swings mentioned above, since it might make it worse.
    Do you have access to freeweights or cable machines?
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    I have chronic lower back pain and sciatica. When I use the rowing machine (with good form) 3 days a week, and stretch/foam roll daily, it backs off quite a bit.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was in PT for quite a while for lower back pain and most of the exercise I did were focused on core strengthening (and not targeted to my lower back).
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Strengthen your core.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Try yoga.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Calling your doctor is usually a pretty good exercise for chronic back pain.
  • joowelz
    Thanks. This has all been really insightful.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Ab work. Bicycle exercise, captains chairs (or reverse crunch), long arm crunches.