What do you eat for lunch when working in an office?

Options
It's so easy to grab something fast at lunch (and unhealthy). I could use some ideas on healthy lunches to pack. Any ideas out there?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My usuals:
    Leftovers from last night's dinner
    Homemade soup (I freeze portions so I can vary what kind I eat day to day)
    Lean Cuisine or similar frozen meal + fruit
  • ashleywright_0
    ashleywright_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take dinner leftovers or make a chicken/turkey wrap with veggies if there are no leftovers. Making a little extra dinner seems to have been the easiest for me. I also make yogurt parfaits to take for my afternoon snack as it keeps me full until dinner.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I prep my lunches for the week each Sunday and my lunch consists of 3oz lean protein (like fish or chicken), a mini bagel with 1/3 fat cream cheese, 100g veggie, 100g fruit.

I also pack breakfast which is Greek yogurt and Fiber One cereal (I mix it in like granola). I have an orange as an AM snack and an apple as a PM snack.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I keep some flavored almonds at my desk for a quick snack. I also stock up the office fridge with pepperoni sticks and cheese strings for myself. Other than that, I bring leftovers! I usually make meals in bulk on Sundays so my fiance and I can both grab a tupperware and bring it for our lunches. Today I'm having ham & swiss quiche, yum.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always brown bag my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Sometimes it's leftovers...often I make a big thing of quinoa or something on Sunday and I will take that along with some tuna or salmon and veg of choice...sometimes I make a sandwich.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My favorite to make is Tuna salad.
    I just use a packet of tuna fish, caesar dressing, lettuce, and parmesan cheese. Its delicious.

I also try to meal prep. Lots of chicken type meals. Always some form of chicken, and a veggie.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Use the search feature to find the "bento box" discussion. Good stuff there.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    leftovers, sandwich, Buddha bowl (brown rice, canned beans, veggies and some type of salad dressing), salad with grilled precooked chicken strips

I pack my breakfast, lunch, and snacks the night before. I don't have the time, energy, or willpower to make good food choices early in the morning. If I have everything ready to grab and go my food choices are much better throughout the day.
  • Jshellhorn74
    Jshellhorn74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this week i have 1/2 baked potato w/ black bean salsa, kale, and greek yogurt for the "sour cream." i need something more filling than salad if i'm not going to eat all the office cookies. :-) super easy because you just bake the potatoes all in one go then throw it in pyrex containers with all the fixins and have them lined up in the fridge. more time for gym or movies in the evening.
  • Brandi_Allison
    Brandi_Allison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I can, I like to prep ingredients for salads for the week. I will bake or boil some boneless, skinless chicken breast to make sure I am getting some good protein and also make hard boiled eggs. With everything already prepped I can make my salad in a matter of minutes in the morning, and I get to put in whatever I'm feeling for that day :smiley: I also buy Progresso reduced sodium/heart healthy soup as a quick lunch. The low sodium is great considering how much is in all processed foods.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I pre-make some Wicked Thai soup and chili and alternate them. Covers me for 3-4 weeks. I do go for sushi once a week. I'm out so I picked up a couple frozen lunches. I have raw veggies and some fruit as well.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Either leftovers, or I'll prep some things Sunday like salads, wraps, soups, sandwiches. Or if I'm especially unprepared I'll grab a packet of instant oatmeal and bring some yogurt, or I'll bring some bread and peanut butter to make toast with a banana or something
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There was a MFP blog article on lunches that I found helpful, u can search within the blog to find it. Might give u some new ideas.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tend to make crock pot fajitas on Sunday's to take a few days during the work week. (Chicken, onions, peppers) YUM!
    Otherwise I pack a salad or a protein shake.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy, so unless I have a convenient portion of leftovers in my freezer I tend to default to soup and a roll. Does your office have a microwave?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I found these great pre-packaged meals called Ready Chef Go at my local grocery store - they are chicken, vegetable (broccoli or asparagus) and a small pat of compressed butter with some kind of flavor (today's is garlic scampi) - cook for 6mins in the microwave and voila
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers from super.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to grab something fast at lunch (and unhealthy). I could use some ideas on healthy lunches to pack. Any ideas out there?

Sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before. Or I'll batch cook a pot of chili or potato soup and freeze them in servings for about 350 calories. Or peanut butter & jelly on light white bread with fruit or raw veggies. Or a frozen meal. Or a salad - either a veggie only salad along with something else, or something with meat to be a meal on its own.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I found these great pre-packaged meals called Ready Chef Go at my local grocery store - they are chicken, vegetable (broccoli or asparagus) and a small pat of compressed butter with some kind of flavor (today's is garlic scampi) - cook for 6mins in the microwave and voila

Wow! Those look good! I just looked at the website and can get some at a small grocery store nearby.

Are the calories already on the package? What an awesome thing to have around for a quick meal!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Lean turkey or chicken on an Arnolds multi-grain sandwhich thin, loaded with spinach and tomatoes, teaspoon of spicey brown mustard and an ounce of sliced cheese. I eat that with an apple and 1 serving of reduced fat CheeseIts. That's my go-to lunch. Sometimes I'll eat a salad on a bed of spinach with strawberries, some walnuts and a drizzle of balsamic vinegarette (that I make...no store-bought dressing for me.)