DOMS

Options
Rae9911
Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
Last week I joined the gym, one of the instructors worked out a weight training routine for me to follow for 2 days a week and I also do HIIT class on a Tuesday morning and Circuit Training on a Sunday morning. Thing is after the work outs I am really sore with jelly legs and arms but the next day is even worse. I get so stiff and even have trouble walking up the stairs or sitting down and getting back up.

My trainer has advised I do the 2 classes and do two gym days a week for the first 3-4 weeks then up the gym to 3 time as week with the 2 classes. What I am just wondering is, how long do the DOMS last for? Will it be like this every time I exercise, just that I am a newbie to this?

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your DOMS should subside around the 3rd day, once you are used to working out you'll stop getting sore
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It's because you are new and not used to working out/using those muscles.

They will subside. Go for a light walk, get the blood flowing, up the protein a bit and get some adequate sleep.

Don't stay stationary as it may make things worse.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what @sammyliftsandeats says - do something light to get the blood flowing - walkings, yoga, swimming (I call these days my LISS days - low intensity steady state days)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller. Trust me on this one.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it won't be like that every time. if you keep at it there comes a point where you sort of miss the doms. or you start doubting yourself because nothing hurts and you're not sure if you really worked the last time you worked out.

in addition to light movement and the foam roller: i just trolled through my local loonie store and bought a selection of soft plastic balls, the kind babies like to play with. i already have rollers and a range of firm balls which are terrific for specific purposes. but when muscles are really tender and sore, those soft ones that just give you a more general kind of compression feel great.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, appreciate the advice.