Are you supposed to like what you do?

Options
13»

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your career should be something you enjoy for the most part. I love what I do overall despite some of the downsides - long hours, dealing with difficult individuals, stress, and disappointments. If I didn't enjoy my job or career, I'd pursue something else. Life is too short to remain in a job you don't like or a career that doesn't suit you or that you don't enjoy, in my opinion.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Bills are being paid, soul is being sucked out of my body. Once the house is paid off I'm going to search for those illusive greener pastures.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I'm in the public sector now and considering taking a pay cut and going back to a commute just to get away from the limited intelligence I encounter in employees every day. But the benefits have me staying where I am. I have 4.5 weeks of paid vacation every year, plus the week between Christmas and New Years off, plus a week of Spring Break off every year. We work four 10-hour days in the summer. My mom is elderly and the only parent my hubs and I have left. Shes three hours away and I have time to see her and travel with her. I don't love my job, but it has its value.

Most of my jobs haven't fulfilled me, but they allow me to do things that are fulfilling. If a job sucks the soul out of you quit it.
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I take care of my disabled in laws full time. Its not easy. I'd like it more if they were healthy and could care for themselves. I might not like it all the time but....the right thing to do isn't always what we like or the easy thing to do. We tried hiring help it just didn't work out very well...so here we are.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Pretty sure anything you do for fun stops being fun once you start doing it for money.

Ask any carny, cocktail lounge employee, tour guide or sex worker.

That's actually psychologically proven to be fact.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I love the people I work with, and I enjoy my job but I'd rather be getting paid to pet puppies. I think there is enormous pressure on people to "make money doing what they love". You're not a failure if you don't bounce out of bed with excitement in the morning lol. I think this pressure actually sets you up to have unrealistic expectations about work which could lead to overall feelings of "unhappiness" at work. Try focusing on the good things about it, I highly doubt most people love having to work at all.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The former is desirable, of course, and I think the world would be a much better place if people chased their dreams instead of money. But a lot of people are stuck with the latter, I'm afraid.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I Chase Dreams, I Damn Sure Do.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like what I do and I'm really good at it. That is a good feeling, and I'm lucky that I was able to have that opportunity. And luckily it also pays the bills. That being said there are things about my particular job I sometimes don't like... red tape, office personalities, etc. But you can change places and there will always be something that isn't perfect, don't get caught in that the grass is always greener trap. I wouldn't want to do something I absolutely hate everyday, but I think not everyone gets to do something you love just do the best you can and really savor the time on the side you get to do what you love. I don't understand the people who are like my job is my life. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would still want to do what I do, but for me on my own terms.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I have a job that's only a paycheck right now.

I'm overqualified, the work flow is misguided and the commute is too long.

I'm giving my 2 week notice today.

It's time to do something that's rewarding beyond a paycheck.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    a long time ago I was sitting on top of a mountain in NE British Columbia.. the mountain top was littered with fossilized clam shells. I was sitting there because I was being paid to be there. I often said I couldn't believe I get paid to do this. It was hard sweaty dangerous work... falling, animal attack( bears, cougars, moose etc.). BUT the benefits? 4x4 ing, quadding, hiking, mountain climbing, getting dropped 40 miles from the nearest road in the middle of the mountains... walking where very few human beings had ever set foot in the history of mankind. Finding a job that isn't work, is a rare thing. BUT a person should always do something that engages their natural aptitude... and challenges them... offers something more than a paycheck (in Canada it's paycheque). whether that something is friendship or something more subliminal...Be passionate about what you do and you will be rewarded for it.