plz help. trying to gain weight. but pregnancy will make me nauseous and trouble increasing calories

Options
suzyy721
suzyy721 Posts: 52 Member
I'm in a dilemma. Been trying to gain weight all my life. And finally gained about 9 lbs after increasing my calories. The problem here is I'm afraid i will lose all my hard earned weight after getting pregnant due to not wanting to eat because of morning sickness. Any advice?? cause i'm not trying to lose. And i still want to increase my calorie intake :( PLZ ADVISE

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. He or she should have some specific guidelines and information relevant to your situation. To deal with morning sickness in general, I found keeping small dry things to nibble on (like crackers or pretzels) was helpful. Also small sips of very cold fizzy liquids (ginger ale for me) rather than large gulps.

But really, talk to your doctor!
  • suzyy721
    Options
    Thank you @pinuplove appreciate the advice
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm currently pregnant, and due. I was very very nauseous in the first 3 months. I still get queasy if I don't get enough protein. I've used whey protein a lot this pregnancy! Because I don't always want meat.

Also fresh ginger root!! It keeps things moving in the digestive tract, and many other benefits also. I fine-grate the ginger and make a little pile of the pulp, which I squeeze out into a glass. you can add some fresh lemon juice and stevia and cold water to make a really nice lemonade. I have bought piles of ginger root this pregnancy, and drink this first thing nearly every morning.

Also peppermint essential oil. Just put a 2-3 drops right over the area of your intestines/colon, (apply the drops on your skin over that area) and rub it with your fingers to spread it over that area. It will relax the smooth muscle of your digestion. Avoid the womb area, as that doesn't need peppermint, just the digestive area. There will be a little bit of peppermint left on your fingertips, which you can just touch to the back part of your tongue to also encourage your digestive tract to relax.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You just posted something else on another thread about 5 lbs weights being too heavy - trying to gain 20 lbs -- you didnt mention getting pregnant in that post. I knew it was a fake post.
  • ifbblinds
    ifbblinds Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions that could provide guidance - 1) you mentioned you increased calories and you saw a direct correlation to your weight increase, could it be in fact that you have always just been an under eater? - it would be worth sitting down and working out your BMI and daily recommended calorie intake. 2)Have you have your Thyroid tested? - you could have an over active Thyroid which would result in an increased metabolism thus the food you are eating is being burned and processed quicker than it can be used/stored. 3) generalist blood tests will be able to identify things such as blood plasma levels, red cell/white cell count, blood glucose levels as well as various hormonal functions - some people are genetically small framed and will always have issues with weight gain. If you are worried about the nutrition of the fetus then a nutritional expert will be able to provide a supplementation plan to help support fetus and infant growth if it is not getting enough through your food intake.
  • suzyy721
    Options
    thank you for the information and taking the time to get back @ifbblinds . yes, actually, i was always an under eater, and now finally after years of being underweight, i understood the concept of eating more. And now trying to do a calorie surplus. And have been successful by seeing a higher weight on the scale. Just havent seen it on the right places, just my tummy :( ive asked every doctor about my thyroid, and they keep telling me that either i dont need it or that im fine. they just skip to a general checkup. got discouraged and never asked them again. Anyway, i apologize for the confusion, im not pregnant. But planning on it. and im worried that during the first 3months(morning sickness; not wanting to eat anything) that i wont be able to maintain the high calories i have been taking in. Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it :)
  • suzyy721
    Options
    @Lovee_Dove7 thank you so much for your awesome reply, very very helpful. a lot of ppl dont understand. thanks a ton. appreciate you taking the time out to write : ) :)
  • suzyy721
    Options
    @jmp463 i apologize for the confusion. . im not pregnant, yet. i just needed the information because im planning to become pregnant. I asked about the weights because i started exercising at home. want i know if im wasting my time. will i see results with just the 5lbs. (aside from pregnancy)
  • ifbblinds
    Options
    suzyy721 wrote: »
    thank you for the information and taking the time to get back @ifbblinds . yes, actually, i was always an under eater, and now finally after years of being underweight, i understood the concept of eating more. And now trying to do a calorie surplus. And have been successful by seeing a higher weight on the scale. Just havent seen it on the right places, just my tummy :( ive asked every doctor about my thyroid, and they keep telling me that either i dont need it or that im fine. they just skip to a general checkup. got discouraged and never asked them again. Anyway, i apologize for the confusion, im not pregnant. But planning on it. and im worried that during the first 3months(morning sickness; not wanting to eat anything) that i wont be able to maintain the high calories i have been taking in. Thanks again for your time. Appreciate it :)

it is a concern that a doctor would not take your inquiry serious and at least look into a test for you, equally even offer to do some blood samples to see if there is anything going on. In saying that I dont know the relationship with your doctor and if it s a regular doctor, they may have more info that suggests it is not needed. It also just seems that you have always been an under eater and always in a calorie deficit. I pose a question, where do you want the weight to go? Females are notorious for inner thighs, butt, hips, lower belly (its hormonal) if you are looking to build a bigger frame I would suggest incorporating weights program. As you have always under eaten, now eating more will cause some storage of fat, this is your bodies reaction to a surplus in calories, keeping a routine cardio and weights program in play will eliminate this - your body needs time to adjust. As for keeping weight whilst pregnant or trying to keep calories high, it may be that you need to shift to slightly more dense HEALTHY calorie foods (wholemeal pasta, potatos, or a keto style diet which is high in healthy fats and calories). If you are looking for ways to work out at home there are plentiful ideas via 'at home cardio workout' on youtube, the most critical point to your success is the intensity, own it, drive it, push it, you will see results and firming up/toning of your body on the excess calorie intake.
  • suzyy721
    Options
    @ifbblinds thanks a load. i really really appreciate it. ive taken all of your words in to consideration, and i think this sort of advice will make me successful in what i want to do.

You were actually right about me being an "undereater" lol. it's the truth. first time in my life ive done the whole calorie surplus thing. You know everything. i need an advisor like you in my life. lol Thank you again, greatly.
  • ifbblinds
    Options
    suzyy721 wrote: »
    @ifbblinds thanks a load. i really really appreciate it. ive taken all of your words in to consideration, and i think this sort of advice will make me successful in what i want to do.

You were actually right about me being an "undereater" lol. it's the truth. first time in my life ive done the whole calorie surplus thing. You know everything. i need an advisor like you in my life. lol Thank you again, greatly.

always here to help where I can, feel free to reach me via PM if you have any questions