Will I lose weight?

Options
I work two jobs- dieting is HARD when you're never home. I try to meal prep but when I'm not getting home until 12 AM and going back in at 7 AM it can be a bit difficult. It is my every desire to lose weight, however. Today I have consumed 400 calories, if I get some chicken nuggets and fries can I still lose weight since I'm under my calorie goals. (and still will be by 1000 after the nuggets) also, any tips on how to diet with my schedule looking like this

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. There is no evil property in chicken nuggets and fries that cause weight gain. Excess calories cause a gain. If eating out is what works with your schedules just be sure to have a few go-to items at your most frequent places that fit your goals so you know what to order when you get there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. But drastically undereating is bad for your health. You should be hitting that goal. Do you get breaks at your jobs/in between when you can eat something? Do you have a set day off you can do meal prep on?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned here, how much do you generally eat a day and what is the deficit that was calculated for you?

It can be a little harder to eat under calories and eating out a lot if you don't have time to prep anything, I generally do so on a day off from work, do you not have a free day? Prepping doesn't need to take all day (I get why you wouldn't during a regular workday).
    Otherwise it's making good choices, tracking your calories and if your sodium is high from eating out, drinking a lot of water. Salads without croutons and cheese, subway sandwich's without mayo and cheeses, etc.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused, when you say you will be around 1000 calories under your goal? What exactly are your goals?
    I understand the having no time to cook as I have spent most of my life working two jobs, and I found it more difficult to eat healthy when I was always on the go. My suggestion would be to meal prep one day of the week. Also try being mindful of what you eat as well, I've learned this throughout the years and still struggle with it daily. I try to not only count my calories but more so my macros. I find that eating empty carbs isn't always beneficial for me and I am hungry in a shorter period of time.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are many healthier convenience food options (than fries & McNuggets).......have the McNuggets once in awhile.

Produce aisle - baby carrots, baby carrots in individual serving packs, pre-cut celery sticks. Pre-made salads, bagged salad kits. Chopped slaws & stir-fry packages. ANY piece of fruit, apple slices.

Frozen food aisle - individual serving packs of veggies. Those are pricey so I typically heat a whole steam-fresh bag & save 1/2 for lunch the next day. Freezer meals - Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers......even some Stouffers, Marie Calenders, and Boston Markets. I add leftover veggies to these. There are also breakfast varieties too.

Canned soups (as high in sodium as Mickey D's).....just make sure you stay hydrated. Stick with broth based varieties. Tuna salad kits.

Pre-cooked grilled chicken. Add some protein to a bagged salad.

Cottage cheese & fruit. Greek yogurt & Fiber One sprinkles. Oatmeal packets - add boiling & stir.
  • Tayykisses
    Tayykisses Posts: 265 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank y'all. What I meant was, my total calorie goal was 1800 a day, and after my breakfast, lunch and dinner (being the nuggets), my calorie intake for the day was 970. It's not that I'm trying to keep the calories that low, I'm full, I guess my foods are just extremely low calorie. I do have a lunch break at job # 1, which I usually have brought my lunch. It's my dinner's that are usually screwed up. I have 15 minutes to get from job #1 to job #2. My second job is a Hwy 55 diner. (I definitely don't need to go in there hungry, lol) so it's easier to swing by BK on the way and have a 4 piece nugget. Hope that cleared things up. @Lisseth03 @Afura @malibu927
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm about the same way. I wake up at 4am and I don't get to sleep until 10pm or later sometimes.

I ordered those 3 compartment containers from Amazon (you know they have 3 spots to put food, 1 main and 2 smaller). I usually put a fruit in the bigger small part, then maybe some cheese in the smaller part or a treat of some sort. And a lot of times I do salad in the big part or leftovers from dinner.

The salad is easy, it's usually cut up romaine lettuce heart (I can cut that in about 10 second). Dice some tomato, a little shredded cheese. Then I add a protein like chicken or a hard boiled egg. Sometimes I add diced avocado to it too. Then a vinagerette for dressing in a separate container. It takes maybe 5 minutes to prep and you can make more than 1 at a time.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I am assuming this schedule is not new. What were you eating before? What was the calorie content daily? Make adjustments so that you're eating smaller quantities (to fit your calorie needs) or adjustments to what you were getting so that you're now eating fewer calories.

Such as I could get a McDouble and small fries every day for lunch for about 650 calories. (Rough estimate.) Or I could get McDonalds grilled chicken ranch salad for 1/2 of that, plus a light dressing.

Check out the menus of fast food places, if fast food fits into your lifestyle. I can order a grilled chicken sandwich from Chick Fil a, or get a kids meal from there w/ grilled chicken 'nuggets' and fruit. I'll get a ham or turkey sandwich from Subway with cheese. From Wendys I'll get chili and a baked potato, or a salad and a 4 piece order of chicken nuggets.

Sometimes I will get the McDouble or fries from McDonalds, or even both, depending on the rest of the day.

It can also be helpful to take some things with you to work, depending on what you have available. I keep shredded cheese & dressing at work in the fridge, and then put that on (using a food scale) myself so I can control the quantity. Or light white bread, no sugar added jelly, and peanut butter. Raw veggies, fruit.

Just some idea.s
  • jayv85
    Options
    Tayykisses wrote: »
    Thank y'all. What I meant was, my total calorie goal was 1800 a day, and after my breakfast, lunch and dinner (being the nuggets), my calorie intake for the day was 970. It's not that I'm trying to keep the calories that low, I'm full, I guess my foods are just extremely low calorie. I do have a lunch break at job # 1, which I usually have brought my lunch. It's my dinner's that are usually screwed up. I have 15 minutes to get from job #1 to job #2. My second job is a Hwy 55 diner. (I definitely don't need to go in there hungry, lol) so it's easier to swing by BK on the way and have a 4 piece nugget. Hope that cleared things up. @Lisseth03 @Afura @malibu927

Guess I should read more than the main post. Maybe look into making crockpot meals and bringing the leftovers with you for dinner. If anything I would think it would save you money. Fast food has gotten expensive.
  • Tayykisses
    Options
    @StaciMarie1974 you're correct. the schedule isnt new, but the diet is. My husband and I have just recently decided to lose weight. So before, it didn't bother me to just grab a burger and fries and be on my way. So now, it's just adjusting to being more concious of what I'm eating.
  • jayv85
    Options
    Or making some type of wraps in bulk that you can freeze and heat up in the microwave at job #1 maybe. It's something you can grab and eat while driving
  • Tayykisses
    Options
    @jayv85 we do ALOT of crockpot meals, I love them! and I do bring them to lunch with me. Like i said the dinner is what gets me because I don't want to wait until 11:30-12 AM to eat supper.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job M-F and I also work a 2nd job on Friday night. I drive directly from job 1 to job 2 on Fridays. I will often eat a salad or something more substantial than a light snack about 4:40pm, just before leaving work. But I have the convenience of being able to eat at my desk, so I don't know if that will help you. I only work the 2nd job until about 8:30 or 9, so then I eat 'dinner' after.

If you were to pack a meal - would you be able to eat it somewhere in the middle of your 2nd job?
  • Tayykisses
    Options
    that would all depend on the business, im a waitress, so it would be all depending on if it were slow or not @StaciMarie1974