Non-chocolate protein bars

Options
Hi all - I have a few protein shakes that I like, but I'm trying to find a protein bar that I can take on hikes with me. I've tried the Cliff Bar Builders (20 g protein, 30 g carbs, 9 g fat), and it's close to the macros I like (30g protein, 22 g carbs, 10 g fat). I'm not married to those macros, but it's a starting point. I don't love the Cliff Bars enough to want a bunch of them, so I thought I'd ask for other people's favorites.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ready-made bars that:
(1) are ok in a back pack,
(2) are somewhat close to my macros, and
(3) are not chocolate flavored?

I'm not interested in making my own trail mix or granola or anything else, just looking for something I can buy at the grocery store, through Amazon, or through another website.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Interested as well. About the only ones I find tolerable are the mint chocolate Clif bars, but why no almond or peanut butter ones that don't taste like cardboard? I like the Nature Valley Sweet & Salty bars, but not enough protein in them (3g).
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use the QuestBars they are low in sugar and carbs and come in several flavors other than chocolate, the vanilla Almond crunch is rather good.,
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the QuestBar recommendation - they do fit into my macro list! I'm going to check out the hippie grocery on my way home this evening and just get a variety pack on amazon if I can't find them in store. I was hoping for more options, but when I say, "I don't like chocolate bars," people look at me like I said "I like to eat babies as a snack."
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Thanks for the QuestBar recommendation - they do fit into my macro list! I'm going to check out the hippie grocery on my way home this evening and just get a variety pack on amazon if I can't find them in store. I was hoping for more options, but when I say, "I don't like chocolate bars," people look at me like I said "I like to eat babies as a snack."

My favourite Quest flavours are the non-chocolate: apple pie, cinnamon roll, banana nut muffin, and blueberry muffin. They also have a white chocolate raspberry that's popular if you like that (I hate white chocolate so I won't comment personally), coconut cashew, the vanilla almond one mentioned, lemon pie. etc etc. Lots of non-chocolate options there!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, do you mean not chocolate flavored or no chocolate at all? I know you said flavored, but I'm wondering how you'd feel about bars with chocolate chips in them.
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Just to be clear, do you mean not chocolate flavored or no chocolate at all? I know you said flavored, but I'm wondering how you'd feel about bars with chocolate chips in them.

I will accept chocolate chips. :) I just don't love chocolate that much - don't even like most candybars - so chocolate-protein anything is a special type of gross to me.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Non-chocolate? NON-chocolate? What? B)

I really like the Oh Yeah! ONE bars. Much better texture than Quest, but they cost as much as Quest. Atkins Lift bars are pretty bad. I haven't checked out the PowerBar Clean Whey, yet, but I plan to.

Oh and PowerCrunch is ok, but kinda high in fat for my purposes.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use QuestBars quite a bit. The worst part is the artificial sweeteners depending on what side of the wall you are on with that. Some of the flavors are okay, some not so much. I just ordered their new Mocha Chocolate Chip. Non-chocolate QuestBars- I like the Apple Pie, Strawberry Cheese Cake and white chocolate raspberry.

A new non-QuestBar that I have been trying is Raw Rev Glo Bar- Creamy Peanut Butter and Sea Salt. There are no artificial sweeteners, and it is not chocolate. It's not like most peanut butter protein bars that don't even taste like peanut butter. This actually tasted like peanut butter. Its worth a try if you like peanut butter...
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    Tried my first Quest bar today - definitely going to try a few to find the right one, but the strawberry cheesecake wasn't half bad!! Thanks!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah! One bars are really delicious. I also like Power Crunch too. Fit Joy is another good one. I stopped eating Quest Bars because I gained weight whenever I ate them. I heard their ingredients are questionable.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I like RX bars and they have some non-chocolate flavors like Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon, and Maple Sea Salt. The macros aren't exactly what you would like (about 12g protein, 12-15g sugar, and 23g carbs) but the main ingredients are egg whites, dates, almonds, and cashews then whatever the flavor of the bar is (blueberries, apples, etc...).
    I just ordered a sampler pack of Oh Yeah bars from Amazon after trying the Almond Bliss flavor and it was really good.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like the Builder bars but the Vanilla PowerBar, I don't know what it is but it's lovely. I'm always Chocolate until I found that one. 20g's too.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I like the Strawberries and Cream Special K protein bars.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    trek do some flapjack bars in a fruit flavour, they are around 10g of protein
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm definitely interested in at least 20 g of protein, so while I like the taste of Special K bars or the like, they usually have sugar as one of the first ingredients. That means a ton of carbs, but very little protein (10-12g).

@llaurenmarie
    I tried to look up the Vanilla PowerBar, but the one I saw only had 8g protein. :neutral:https://www.powerbar.com/energy/performance-energy-bar/vanilla-crisp

@TheCupcakeCounter
    I used those bars a lot when I was aiming for whole food type products - pretty amazing what they can do with those simple ingredients! Unfortunately for me, I really want 30g protein and replacing that with something that only gets me 40% of that isn't what I'm looking for right now. Those bars are on my backup list if I change my macros around though!