Should I toss the chili?

Options
I made a big pot of vegetarian chili (beans and sweet potato) and I've been bringing little tupperwares of it to work for lunch.

However, on Thursday I accidentally left the chili on my desk without eating it. I had Friday off, plus the weekend, sooo it was sitting there unrefrigerated for three days. It looks and smells all right, and it doesn't have any meat in it, but I'm kind of nervous. (It's in the work fridge right now.)

Eat or toss?

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Toss. Im not even that brave.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Throw it away.
  • dennisTee
    dennisTee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Toss unless you have no food and a zombie apocalypse starts....

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Depends.... How much is a buck or two worth to you? and how much do you mind throwing up?

I'd say if it smells ok, you have a 50/50 shot of getting sick. May the odds be ever in your favor.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the consensus is to toss. I'm a little relieved, LOL. Thanks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Haahaa yeah I'm pretty brave with food and will leave a soup or stew out on the counter overnight too cool, but 3 days is beyond even my "eh, it's still good!" level (which is might higher than most...)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I had Salmonella once. Spent three days in the bathroom and the next three days in the gastrointestinal unit. You really can't imagine what the gastrointestinal unit is like unless you have had the chance to smell it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The only way to eat something like that is to give it a good long simmer at 166F, to kill any bugs.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Unless you are broke why would you even think of eating it?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Haahaa yeah I'm pretty brave with food and will leave a soup or stew out on the counter overnight too cool, but 3 days is beyond even my "eh, it's still good!" level (which is might higher than most...)

This is me too. I have guts of steel and I'm noping.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised there wasn't moldy fuzz growing on it. I'd pitch it, no question.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm brave with food and to question this would never even cross my mind. That's insane. Throw it away.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would've tossed it without even thinking about it.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Eat it, I dare you. You probably won't die of food poisoning. Probably. Seriously, how is such a complete lack of food safety knowledge even possible. How have you lived this long? :D
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I got a meal from KFC once (Nashville Hot Tenders) with an individual cole slaw. It was a cool night and I wound up being social and left the slaw in the car overnight. Woke up late and it had to be 80 degrees in the car by midday. I asked sis if I should eat it. She was all "hell no!" but I did anyway. Nothing bad happened.

I would not eat your chilli.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    dennisTee wrote: »
    Toss unless you have no food and a zombie apocalypse starts....
    Honestly, that would probably be even worse. There would be less access to the medical care you'd need after eating it.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you chose to toss it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you know that way you enjoy some things that just because they're so wrong? well, i'm enjoying this thread. i want to ask the op if s/he's sh!tting us, but i'm too refined to make that kind of joke.

more seriously, op: there's a possibility my form of arthritis is 'reactive', not 'rheumatoid', and if so i know exactly the bout of food poisoning that set it off. you don't want that, so glad you threw it away.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing constructive to add, other than the OP's thread title sounds really dirty.