Water

Options
I try to drink 2L (~67 fl oz) of water per day, then add in more if I feel like it. Typically, even if I work out, I still max out around 2.5L. I keep finding websites and articles that suggest I should be aiming for 3L. (I'm female, mostly sedentary except for the 1 hour workout, 5'2" and 140 lbs.) My urine is clear on only 1.5L a day, which makes me think the water consumption websites, articles, and calculators are way off.

Anyone have any compelling reason why someone should drink so much water if they don't have any other symptoms of dehydration?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If your urine is clear, you're good. Our bodies take hydration for all we intake, not just water. They get it from foods, other liquids etc. Urine colour is the most accurate way to gauge your hydration.
  • MWhite1207
    MWhite1207 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

From the information that I have gathered over a 3 year fitness journey and my wonderful trainer when it first began, she has always stressed 3L! At first it seemed impossible, but I actually managed to do it at least 4/5 times a week. Purchasing a 1L Nalgene bottle on Amazon was also extremely helpful!!

Here's how I manage to break it down:
    8am - start drinking water
    12:30 pm - FINISH 1st litre

12:30 pm - workout (usually vigorous weight training) makes it extremely easy to get down 1L in the span of a 2 hr workout/cool down. If I'm teaching during the day, I just try to get in that 2nd litre down in about 2hrs. If the bottle is constantly in your arms reach, you will drink!

2:30/3:00pm - 9:00pm - Finish final 3rd litre. Lots of time to get in that last litre so it doesn't feel like you are just trying to chug it down before bed and feel uncomfortable. Lol

The science behind this amount of water consumption is that when we give our bodies 3L of water, it tends to not store "water weight". This is because it knows we are consuming enough, and more, water to survive. Our bodies are reacting by not storing that excessive water weight for further usage, if and when we are dehydrated or deprived of water.

I'm not a scientist, this is just what my trainer has tried to explain to me as well as looking through some internet sources. I aim for 3L Monday - Friday, and 2L Saturday and Sunday, usually because I am busy or out and about. 2L is still really awesome! But if you can manage to get in that 3rd litre, it might make a big difference.

Hope this helps :) !!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MWhite1207 wrote: »
    Hey there!

From the information that I have gathered over a 3 year fitness journey and my wonderful trainer when it first began, she has always stressed 3L! At first it seemed impossible, but I actually managed to do it at least 4/5 times a week. Purchasing a 1L Nalgene bottle on Amazon was also extremely helpful!!

12:30 pm - workout (usually vigorous weight training) makes it extremely easy to get down 1L in the span of a 2 hr workout/cool down. If I'm teaching during the day, I just try to get in that 2nd litre down in about 2hrs. If the bottle is constantly in your arms reach, you will drink!

2:30/3:00pm - 9:00pm - Finish final 3rd litre. Lots of time to get in that last litre so it doesn't feel like you are just trying to chug it down before bed and feel uncomfortable. Lol

The science behind this amount of water consumption is that when we give our bodies 3L of water, it tends to not store "water weight". This is because it knows we are consuming enough, and more, water to survive. Our bodies are reacting by not storing that excessive water weight for further usage, if and when we are dehydrated or deprived of water.

I'm not a scientist, this is just what my trainer has tried to explain to me as well as looking through some internet sources. I aim for 3L Monday - Friday, and 2L Saturday and Sunday, usually because I am busy or out and about. 2L is still really awesome! But if you can manage to get in that 3rd litre, it might make a big difference.

No, 3l is not a magic number where your body decided to retain water or not.
  • MWhite1207
    MWhite1207 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    MWhite1207 wrote: »
    Hey there!

No, 3l is not a magic number where your body decided to retain water or not.

Like I said, I am by no means a scientist! Lol Just the research I have done and what I have found works for me :)

Height: 5'8
    SW: 180
    CW: 140
  • dermatome
    dermatome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with water! I know it's important but I just can't seem to get my required amount. Trying to challenge myself for the month of April.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things where MORE is not necessarily better.
    http://www.ucirvinehealth.org/blog/2016/03/what-color-is-your-urine/
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This is one of those things where MORE is not necessarily better.
    http://www.ucirvinehealth.org/blog/2016/03/what-color-is-your-urine/

That article just talks about clear or pale yellow being good, no info about how more water would be a problem....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    More water usually is not a problem (you can OD on water, but it takes quite a lot and usually happens either with low intensity endurance sports if you overdo the water or contests or the like: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

However, it's part of why I really HATE the push among some weight loss gurus (and to some extent among some on MFP sometimes) to push always drinking more water as some kind of important or always good thing. (I used to see over the top congratulations for insane amounts of water and so on, when people commented on diaries, drinking lots and lots of water always seems to be a feature of challenges, etc.).

IMO, a normal person should have no need to think about drinking adequate water if the water is available. Humans have as much instinct to be hydrated as to eat (more, I'd imagine), and we do this naturally. I've always been someone who drinks a lots (mostly water, also coffee, tea, other beverages if they are what's available -- I hate eating without something to drink and have water next to me all day at work), so maybe I'm not understanding, but I just don't get why it's pushed or necessary to count water or to aim for a certain amount.

If your pee is good, you are good. If you forget to drink when out in the heat or working out, or if you find your pee is darker than it should be, then yes, maybe try to make drinking more of a habit, but I don't think people are so incompetent at this that there need to be concerns about aiming for a specific amount or apps to remind you and all that.

More significantly, I hate how people get told it's relevant to weight loss, that drinking more and more water is always somehow going to increase fat loss when it will not.

If you like drinking water and are happy, then no harm in doing so (I don't think people get to hyponatremia levels just from free drinking for pleasure unless something's wrong -- if you are always super thirsty a doctor might be called for), but no need to aim for huge amounts.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Some sources mention that sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger and end up eating when what we need is water. So, in a way, it curbs overeating>reduced calorie intake>weight loss.

Dont know the authenticity of the theory. But it kind of makes sense.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who have to force the water intake. If not, I'll go all day with only a cup of coffee to drink and maybe a few sips here or there until dinner. I'll get ready for bed and realize that I've only peed twice all day. So, I do try to focus on getting more. It keeps the sluggishness at bay as well, but drinking water is not a habit for me - it's something that I have to be aware of and push on myself.