Pregnant...Calorie confusion

Options
Hello everyone! I don't really know where to put this, so I'm just dropping it here because...Well, because this is the board I'm most used to. Lol.

So a little background: I started here July 2015, have now logged for 600+ days and lost a total of 65 lbs. My pre-pregnancy weight was 158 and my current is ~161 at almost 14 weeks. I'm not exactly sure about that number because those 3lbs popped up over less than a week's time, this last week, so I think some is bloating? This is my first pregnancy so idk how the weight gain goes.

Everything I have read online has said that you don't add calories in the first trimester. I started this way, eating around 1700-1800, but I have been starving this whole time and that got really difficult. I had terrible nausea that went all day and eating all day long is the only thing that helped. I never threw up, so every calorie was available. I started trending down in weight a bit there so I kept slowly adding to my daily goal until that stopped and ended up at around 2000 calories per day. That's where I still am. Also, it's probably even a bit more than that because I've been snacking on things some days that I don't log...Little things here and there. My logging isn't as tight as it was when I was dieting.

On to the questions: I don't know how to balance the weight gain that's going to happen soon. When should I add more calories? Anyone have any ideas as to why I burned so many calories the first trimester? I can tell you it wasn't from exercise...I was very much slug-like and also on pelvic rest with activity restriction due to a tiny bleed (subchorionic hemorrhage at 8wks5d, gone now). I was lucky to get 1000 steps on my Fitbit per day. I've been more active recently, but the hunger picks up when I move more, also.

And before you say it, I did talk to my OB about this and she told me to just add 300 each day the whole time...Which goes against everything I've seen anywhere. I thought there were different requirements for each trimester?

I'm just worried about gaining too much and setting myself back after working so hard all year. I also want a healthy happy baby even more so I don't​ want to accidentally restrict too much.

Anyone have any insight or experience?

Also, I was still like 10lbs overweight bmi-wise before pregnancy, so I'm only shooting to gain 25lbs, definitely no more than 30.

Replies

• nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is the site I used both pregnant and breastfeeding with my 3rd

https://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Congrats
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You're in second tri, so if you're using MFP, set it to "gain half a pound". Go up to "gain a pound" in third tri. Log and eat back exercise calories.

You're making a human. It takes energy. You have to make not only the baby, but also the placenta, a bunch of extra blood volume, etc.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    This is the site I used both pregnant and breastfeeding with my 3rd

https://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Congrats

Thanks! I went here before and with the activity levels it didn't give me much to go on...There's a big difference between their sedentary and lightly active. I averaged them and that's what I've been eating though, so there's that. Seems like that's the only calculator of that kind to be found online.
  • knelson095
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You're in second tri, so if you're using MFP, set it to "gain half a pound". Go up to "gain a pound" in third tri. Log and eat back exercise calories.

You're making a human. It takes energy. You have to make not only the baby, but also the placenta, a bunch of extra blood volume, etc.

I know it takes a lot of energy...I don't get though why even the American Pregnancy Association (or whatever it's called) says to eat your pre pregnancy maintenance in the first? I would think, if you're throwing up especially, you would need more. That's a different topic though I suppose.

I don't know why I didn't think to set my calories up that way.. lol. It gives me 2070 per day...I think I'll do that until it seems like I'm not gaining on track. Thanks!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »

I know it takes a lot of energy...I don't get though why even the American Pregnancy Association (or whatever it's called) says to eat your pre pregnancy maintenance in the first? I would think, if you're throwing up especially, you would need more. That's a different topic though I suppose.

I don't know why I didn't think to set my calories up that way.. lol. It gives me 2070 per day...I think I'll do that until it seems like I'm not gaining on track. Thanks!

I think they assume that at least some of the women are eating a little too much to begin with.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How did you burn so much? YOU ARE GROWING A PERSON! That's pretty freaking amazing. And exhausting, trust me, I know :smiley:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Pregnancies were the only time I didn't worry about dieting. I didn't go crazy, but I accepted that gaining weight is inevitable and to embrace it :smile:

I ended up gaining about 30 pounds for each of my 3 babies. Remember it's not 30 pounds of fat. It's baby, increased blood volume, placenta, fluids, breast tissue, etc...
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My OB told me to not worry about a number. Eat diverse food to hunger, drink plenty of water, and give in to your cravings now and then. You're making a human - if you're hungry, eat!

I didn't add any extra calories. I set my goal to maintain. If I was hungrier, I ate more. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat them all. I used maintenance as my guideline. I was obese, and wanted to gain less than 20. I kept it to 15.

Echoing the growing a person - your body will tell you loud and clear what you need right now. Your weight will be weird and not make any sense - I lost 10lbs between week 34-37 eating like a hog!

Congrats, and good luck!
  • knelson095
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Pregnancies were the only time I didn't worry about dieting. I didn't go crazy, but I accepted that gaining weight is inevitable and to embrace it :smile:

I ended up gaining about 30 pounds for each of my 3 babies. Remember it's not 30 pounds of fat. It's baby, increased blood volume, placenta, fluids, breast tissue, etc...

I remind myself of this every time the scale bumps up a bit. Lol. It's still nerve wracking to see it going up when the goal for so long was for it to go down...But I'm surely enjoying the extra food. :#
  • knelson095
    Options
    My OB told me to not worry about a number. Eat diverse food to hunger, drink plenty of water, and give in to your cravings now and then. You're making a human - if you're hungry, eat!

I didn't add any extra calories. I set my goal to maintain. If I was hungrier, I ate more. If I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat them all. I used maintenance as my guideline. I was obese, and wanted to gain less than 20. I kept it to 15.

Echoing the growing a person - your body will tell you loud and clear what you need right now. Your weight will be weird and not make any sense - I lost 10lbs between week 34-37 eating like a hog!

Congrats, and good luck!

Thanks! I don't necessarily trust my hunger signals...that was always my biggest issue. It's gotten better with pregnancy though because there's no question when I need to eat. It's basically all the time. Ha!

It's funny, I was losing weight all this time so I could get pregnant and now I am and I'm worried about gaining. I've been told I'm a bit obsessive...I think I'm gonna have to just let go of the reins a little bit... Lol.