Remedies for leg cramps (besides bananas)

Options
I usually eat a whole banana for breakfast on days that I plan on exercising. It helps me avoid lower leg cramps. Lately, though, I am trying to cut back on sugar. For instance, I ate a half banana today, as bananas always kill my sugar number. I just got back from doing a walk/run and one of legs is twinging (feels like it wants to cramp/tighten up, but I won't let it...I keep stretching it out). Soooo, my question is what else can I take/eat to help keep my legs from cramping in place of my banana AND that will also be relatively low in sugar? My first thought is maybe taking two Midol before running (it helps with other body cramps)...does anyone else know if that would help or not?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are well hydrated, first and foremost. Another great source of potassium is a baked potato - just be careful how much you add to it (butter, sour cream, etc.). Also, if you are watching your sugar one banana (although it has as much sugar as a glazed donut) will not kill you.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think an Iron deficiency can cause cramps too
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, which can be applied to the skin as a spray or taken as a supplement.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Avocados also help for this
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Avacados! Yummy :) They have a lot of potassium.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lots, and lots of water. I drink over 100 ounces of water in a day and I don't have problems with my legs cramping anymore. (Unless I drank too much alcohol the day before......) :drinker:
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause cramping as can potassium deficiency. If you are sure it is a potassium deficiency then you might try drinking V8 juice everyday. If you are on any blood pressure meds that may cause the body to lose potassium, you might check with your PCP about a potassium supplement.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and good stretching. If you cannot take that (be careful of side effects) I get a bad one put a topical roll-on that is cold. Sorry I cannot name the brand but if you PM me I will tell you because it is not available in retail stores.
  • memnock
    memnock Posts: 1
    Options
    I have issues with leg cramps as well, I use a product called elete that I mix with my water. It has zero calories and a bunch of electrolytes, including potassium. I add 1 drop per ounce of water and drink it during and after my workout.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get terrible leg cramps. I take an OTC potassium supplement everyday. Along with high potassium foods and tons of water.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound gross, but I swear it works... I use it for my athletes all the time: pickle juice or a mustard packet. They both have something in them that make you stop cramping. I keep mustard packets in my med kit while at soccer practices/ games and every time someone gets cramps, they get a pack. They hate it, but it works! My dad also suffers from charlie-horses in him hamstrings and he drinks pickle juice all the time to help get rid of them. I do it too whenever I get them. It works! but brush your teeth afterwards :wink:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Dittos on magnesium. I had plenty of sodium and potassium in diet, and acceptable levels in blood tests, but magnesium helps the body to use those actually, so you can eat plenty and have enough floating around, but if body can't make use if it, you can actually be low in muscles where it matters.

1 small pill in evening first time, and skeptical as normal, and no foot cramps that night. Incredible difference.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thermotabs (be careful if you're watching sodium intake).
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am trying the Low Sodium V8 as well. Glad to know it is supported by others.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your cramps probably aren't caused by a potassium deficiency, especially if you normally eat bananas. Maybe you need new shoes, or less pounding. You could substitute biking or swimming for some of your walks/runs, exercise on softer surfaces, like dirt or a track instead of pavement, and make sure that your footwear is working for you.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was a potassium thing, some people are saying magnesium.. either way, maybe take a multivitamin (just make sure you take one for your gender). Fills in all the gaps you may not have filled with food. I used to get crazy cramps in my calves, I find they only reappear if I've fallen off the vitamin wagon.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    tonic water, or diet tonic water. Quinine helps
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a whole banana for breakfast on days that I plan on exercising. It helps me avoid lower leg cramps. Lately, though, I am trying to cut back on sugar. For instance, I ate a half banana today, as bananas always kill my sugar number. I just got back from doing a walk/run and one of legs is twinging (feels like it wants to cramp/tighten up, but I won't let it...I keep stretching it out). Soooo, my question is what else can I take/eat to help keep my legs from cramping in place of my banana AND that will also be relatively low in sugar? My first thought is maybe taking two Midol before running (it helps with other body cramps)...does anyone else know if that would help or not?

Do you drink DIET soft drinks?

If so...try cutting them out COMPLETELY. Any time I have ANY artificial sugar (including Splenda) I have leg cramps at night. Artificial sweeteners deplete potassium.

No diet coke = no leg cramps. (for me anyway.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are numerous foods that are high in potassium (even higher than bananas). Make sure you're getting your potassium daily...also adequate sodium. Everybody thinks sodium is this terrible thing, but it is an essential mineral that gets sweated out when you exercise. Low potassium and sodium = cramps. Also stay well hydrated, stretch, etc.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Take a daily multi vitamin! :) I used to get woken up ALL the time from charlie horses, and I'd cry they hurt so bad. They stopped when I started taking a multi, and I missed a couple days and I was woken up with the WORST cramp the other night!