What to eat on holiday?

Options
I'm taking my girls to Southend for the week, as it's the Easter break.

I'm not sure what I should eat while I'm there, I'm low carb and I usually balance each meal with a protein and 100g-200g of vegetables, also I usually steam my food.
I'm thinking for breakfast I could eat boiled eggs, lunch could be shellfish and dinner could be chicken breast from Nando's, sashimi and edamame from a Japanese take-away or grilled fish from a fish restaurant; from most of these places I won't be able to get any vegetables, unless I want them covered in oil, dressing or butter etc.

How can I get my vegetables for the week?
I'd rather not skip eating vegetables, as they are important for nutrition.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've never had trouble ordering vegetables any where. Even a chippy can do you a tonne of mushy peas and some fish. Or a huge salad with some chicken from their chicken kebabs.

Personally, I eat what I like on holiday. It's one week. Then I get back to tracking the day I go back to work.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Can you not ask at these restaurants for them to serve your veg minus the dressings if that's how you want them? surely they would do that? and there have to be non-franchise restaurants where they make food to order in Southend too? (and usually they are the better option as the food is always much better imo)

At the end of the day its a holiday, eat what you want/enjoy, be mindful of portion sizes if you like but enjoy the break? and then when you're back home, it can be back to your norm.

Have a great time :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Kebab shop - shish kebab and salad, hold the pitta bread.....

By the way it's pronounced Sarf End. ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited March 2017
    Options
    p.s isn't Jamie & Jimmy's cafe (caf) in Southend? (sorry Sarf End ):smiley: now I would love to go eat there :smiley:
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    I can afford to take a break from losing weight, as I have to lose weight as quickly as is safely possible.

I haven't seen any non-franchise restaurants, other than the fish restaurant and their vegetable options aren't great..
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about Southend, but a quick google search shows it's "on the sea". So I would suggest a lof of baked/grilled fish. Get the veggies with it and see if you can get them without oil/butter, but even if you can't, then it may only bump you up an extra 100 calories or so. Even then you can keep your meals in check.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I can afford to take a break from losing weight, as I have to lose weight as quickly as is safely possible.

I haven't seen any non-franchise restaurants, other than the fish restaurant and their vegetable options aren't great..

Hoping someone local to Southend area will reply to this thread and can tell you of where you could eat but there HAS to be more eateries than you think? have you tried Trip Advisor?

One 1 week will not derail your diet/nutrition in the grand scheme of things. As much as you want to lose weight quickly you have your whole life ahead of you as a slim person :smile:
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Can you not ask at these restaurants for them to serve your veg minus the dressings if that's how you want them? surely they would do that? and there have to be non-franchise restaurants where they make food to order in Southend too? (and usually they are the better option as the food is always much better imo)

At the end of the day its a holiday, eat what you want/enjoy, be mindful of portion sizes if you like but enjoy the break? and then when you're back home, it can be back to your norm.

Have a great time :smile:

Thanks, I'll try to ask them if they could leave off the dressings.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    I know nothing about Southend, but a quick google search shows it's "on the sea". So I would suggest a lof of baked/grilled fish. Get the veggies with it and see if you can get them without oil/butter, but even if you can't, then it may only bump you up an extra 100 calories or so. Even then you can keep your meals in check.

Thanks, I'll try to get them without oil and butter, or I'll just buy a cucumber or a prepared salad from somewhere and skip eating cooked vegetables until I come home.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Go to a grocery store. Buy some fresh veggies. Eat them raw. A bag of baby carrots, or some pre-sliced veg can usually be purchased anywhere.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options

Hoping someone local to Southend area will reply to this thread and can tell you of where you could eat but there HAS to be more eateries than you think? have you tried Trip Advisor?

One 1 week will not derail your diet/nutrition in the grand scheme of things. As much as you want to lose weight quickly you have your whole life ahead of you as a slim person :smile:

There are probably other places to eat, but I haven't seen them (we go on day trips here a few times a year), I posted this thread hoping someone local to Southend would know of somewhere and reply :)