Protein help.

Options
So ive noticed that i dont eat enough protein everyday
What are some food that are high in protein?

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Animal products are the best sources of protein. Meat and fish, also eggs and cheese.

Vegetable sources of protein include nuts, legumes (beans, lentils etc), and soya.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have any problem getting enough protein. Are you a vegan? Do you have food allergies or aversions? What is "enough" - have you changed the settings; if so, why? You can google foods that are high in protein.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My problem seems to be a lot of protein sources that I like are either high in fat (like greek yogurt) or a bunch of extra carbs (some protein bars). So I get my protein number up, but percentage wise I always end up with fat or carbs in a higher percentage than I want for the day. You really do just have to eat plain lean meats like chicken, turkey, tuna (no mayo) if you want to get a lot of protein without other stuff.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    synchrony7 wrote: »
    My problem seems to be a lot of protein sources that I like are either high in fat (like greek yogurt) or a bunch of extra carbs (some protein bars). So I get my protein number up, but percentage wise I always end up with fat or carbs in a higher percentage than I want for the day. You really do just have to eat plain lean meats like chicken, turkey, tuna (no mayo) if you want to get a lot of protein without other stuff.

Same with me, but I don't eat much meat and don't want to either, so I am now trying to start sneaking egg whites into whatever I can.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are not vegetarian or vegan deli turkey and chicken have about 11g protein and 50 calories per 2oz. I also add protein powder to my coffee and protein powder and ground flax or chia seeds to my smoothies.
    I like Rx Bars as well - 12g protein for about 210 calories and the chocolate sea salt and chocolate mint flavors give me my chocolate fix for the day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

What's wrong with fat? It helps you feel fuller for longer. At least for me it does. And greek yoghurt is normally around 2% fat. Far from high fat.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Turkey, skinless chicken, Cheese... There's a thread somewhere in here with an excel sheet that ranks food with the most protein percentage compared to calorie intake, i can't find it sorry !

Edit: found this though: http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/sarauk2sf/media/bfb609df-ad30-4e88-8b2f-a34ab95f0d8b_zps4c0f3fd2.jpg.html
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Really? I always eat way to much protein. You need about 1.5-1.7g of protein per each KG you weigh. You don't need more than that.

This is a number I've read a lot here in the forums, I personally have no clue how much protein one should have, this is the first time in my life that I am concerning myself with this. But why is it that my MFP protein goal is only about half the number I get multiplying my goal weight with .8?
  • deucemon69
    deucemon69 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Eggs, legumes(beans), chicken, and steak are the most effective sources of protein. Typically aim to eat 1 gram per lean body mass if your goal is to get lean.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    Really? I always eat way to much protein. You need about 1.5-1.7g of protein per each KG you weigh. You don't need more than that.

This is a number I've read a lot here in the forums, I personally have no clue how much protein one should have, this is the first time in my life that I am concerning myself with this. But why is it that my MFP protein goal is only about half the number I get multiplying my goal weight with .8?

You using lbs ? What did you say was your activity lvl? If you set it at low it might be that they're using 0.5-0.7 g per lbs. I don't know what MFP uses as their calculator as I've got my own macros cause I do zone and calculate mine in blocks.

Yes, I put in sedentary, because it says somewhere that the number increases once and if you put in exercises. And I didn't confuse kg and lb smile:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

most of the greek yoghurt I eat is low/no fat (2% fage, chonburi, dannon triple oikos)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    there are a variety of thoughts about how much protein is needed per day, a lot of it comes down to your personal goals

RDA is about 47g
    most common math - .7-.8 of body weight in KG (for me that would be 54g
    for building lean muscle mass - recommended .8-1lb per lean muscle mass - for me - 88g-110g
    my RD has me on 1.2g per current measured lean muscle mass - 130g a day - I find that is satiates me longer
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    can you open up your diary?
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I wasnt able to meet my protein goal until i started drinking whey powder, but my goals are major fat reduction and toning, so you may not need that much. I get my natural protein from fat free greek yogurt, premade shakes, salads with chicken, roasted turkey/roast beef deli meet, shrimp cocktail, lean meats (chicken, ground turkey, pork, etc.), string cheese, beef jerky, protein bars, nuts...