Newbie Question About Weight Loss

Options
jesshayds
jesshayds Posts: 15 Member
I understand the concept of energy in and energy out, but I've found myself wondering if I need to burn up all the energy in to lose weight?
So if I take in 1500 calories and burn off the same amount via exercise in the same day would that speed up the weight loss/is it healthy to do? Or does exercise just assist you to stay within allocated daily calories?
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I've just been thinking about it and I wasn't entirely sure!

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    TeaBea put it beautifully. As much as it seems like it should be a great idea to have a severe calorie deficit so you can power through weight loss, it does more harm than good, and often just makes you physically ill. I tried it for awhile, and I was miserable, and found I lost weight faster eating at an appropriate deficit that MFP provided.

I also have not been able to exercise much due to a surgery (I went for a walk the other day, woo!), and have still lost at the rate I should have been according to MFP by keeping my calorie deficit. I will say though that exercise is good for overall health (especially cardio, like walking).
  • jesshayds
    jesshayds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for replying, very helpful!