Gained 5 pounds over 2 weeks of stricter dieting/exercise - has anyone else experienced this?

Options
For the past two weeks, I adhered at about an 80% rate to a meal plan designed by a nutritionist with the goal of weight loss. Lots of baked skinless chicken, veggies, sweet potatoes, steel-cut oats. I also worked out regularly, primarily strength training with a lot of walking and a few cardio classes too. I didn't expect to turn into a supermodel overnight, but I certainly expected to lose maybe a pound so you can imagine my shock when I stepped on the scale this morning and had GAINED nearly 5 pounds! I'm trying to think if this is normal considering how much strength training I'm doing or if my body is adjusting weird to eating much less refined carbs and dairy. Has anyone else experienced something like this while working on long-term weight loss?

Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you logging your calories here at MFP - including the 20% when you don't adhere to the meal plan? You might be eating more than you realize. I know I was. Weighing my food and meticulously logging was a real wake-up call for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you calorie counting?

Is it TOM?

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have yourself on a healthy and intelligent program so the most important thing is to be patient. Especially with a sound weight training program you may well gain some muscle, replace some fat and net out positive. I find my clothes fitting better before any noticeable movement on the scale. Lifestyle changes like the one you are undertaking are always more important than obsessing over every calorie consumed so just stay with it.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You're missing a crucial piece of the puzzle: patience!
  • ocean502
    ocean502 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found uping my water and lowering carbs helped, a lot!!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I gained two pounds and over night lost a pound. I'm 5'2" and didn't eat an extra 7000 cal, or eat -2000 cal last night. Hang in there. Your body will start adjusting to your new workout regime and you'll lose the water weight.
  • elizabethcutler824
    elizabethcutler824 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your motivating and helpful responses! I definitely need to work on my patience ;) I think it's tough because I've been working with a nutritionist for a year to overhaul my overall relationship with food and my body after years and years of yo yo dieting made it difficult to really know what I need to be healthy first and foremost. So when I was finally ready to turn my attention to weight loss in a healthy way, I already felt like I had been on a long road. Has anyone else here worked with a nutritionist or registered dietician?
  • sarahtiffany23
    sarahtiffany23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started working with a nutritionist (first appointment was this morning) and I think having an actual medial professional to bounce what I am experiencing and thinking off of is going to be super helpful. Plus she helped really narrow down what I wanted into small, measurable, and attainable goals that will help keep me encouraged rather than discouraged. I'm excited to see what comes of it!