Help with low calorie snack ideas

Options
jayv85
jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I normally eat breakfast on a work day at 4:30am. Then I don't eat lunch until 11 or 11:30am and dinner is usually around 7 or 7:30pm. I end up chugging over half a gallon of water trying to stave off hunger (which doesn't work with those big gaps). But I really need some low calorie, easy to grab or put together snack ideas.

Replies

• nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    String cheese is good, the weight watchers brand is 50 calories. Fat free greek yogurt, light and fit is about 80 calories. Nuts. Beef jerky. Those are all protein-rich options, which happens to be my focus right now, but fruit is another good option if youre not focused on protein. Hope that helps
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    baby carrots with hummus is pretty easy. edemame, grapes, pretzels or nuts. All can be pre-packaged before hand :)
  • jayv85
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »

A lot of those sound so good.

Thank you everyone
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I snack between meals and whenever I feel hungry. I also drink a lot of water, but when the hunger is real I'll go for one or more of these:

Grapes or Berries (strawberries are only 4 calories each)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese with a little fruit or tomato
    Boiled egg (or just the egg whites depending on calories available)
    Celery with laughing cow cheese or tsp of peanut butter
    1/2 apple with tsp of peanut butter
    Lite string cheese (50 cals)
    Veggies and hummus (carrots/peppers/celery/broccoli/turnips/jicama)

I try to avoid anything very salty or crunchy like chips or crackers. Those are too binge-worthy for me and I'm never satisfied with just a few.

All of the above are pretty easily portable. I often carry a little lunchbag with a freezie block or frozen water bottle to keep things cold.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    These aren't the healthiest choices, but recently i purchased a few boxes of fiber one brownies from grocery outlet really cheap. They are only 90 calories per brownie.

I also purchased a couple dozen 100 can calories packs of Popchips from grocery outlet for 25 cents each. They are macro friendly.
  • EmilyLunde
    EmilyLunde Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes - the fibre one brownies are a lifesaver when I "need" something chocolatey and baked.

Also, again not the very best option I'm sure, but 'thinsations' oreo/chips ahoy cookies have been awesome when I'm craving something sweet. They are pre-packaged and portable, only 100 calories per pouch and are very satisfying!

Popcorn is also an awesome option when you want something to munch on that's low-cal :)
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find that almonds are good BUT: eat them one by one (if you eat handfuls at a time this quickly becomes a lot of calories).

If I think I'm not really hungry just fidgety, then sugar-free gum can be a good distraction.

I have this theory (based on anecdote and experience not science) that you need to snack on the right food group to feel satisfied, and that varies from person to person. Perhaps the body calls out for what it needs?

Anyway, a protein bar for me will stop any inclination to snack for a good long time. My favoured brand is about 200 cals- if that's too much of the budget gone I guess you could eat half?

Other folks find that veg or complex carbs work better for them: maybe see if you have a snack-stopping food group?

Hope that helps!
  • achampa23
    achampa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fiber one chocolate peanut butter bars are my life savers. They are only 90 calories and they provide me with my chocolate fix for the day.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    4:30 am is early for breakfast. I would try adding a protein shake sometime during your day to help with the cravings. A few larger snacks do wonders over mamy frequent snacks. I typically make Chia Seed Pudding (100-200 calories), Fitmiss chocolate protein shake shake (120-350 depending on what I mix it with), apples/pears because they take longer to eat (80-100), crackers and cheese wedges (85ish), and eat protein heavy meals between 200-400 calories usually. I start my day out early too (5am), but I have to eat.
  • ibesushi
    ibesushi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned 4.30am is very early for breakfast. Is it possible to eat breakfast on the way to work or at work instead? I tend to be in a similar position and I would eat breakfast, but by 9.30am I would be hungry again. I found that just eating breakfast a little later greatly reduced my urge to snack at work.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My two fav snacks are carrots or cucumbers with light Italian dressing or an apple sliced super thin and dip it in light and fit vanilla yogurt:)
  • vpblanda1126
    vpblanda1126 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, Quaker Oats granola bars are only 100 calories also Dippin Stix apples with caramel or peanut butter, if you're looking for under 100 calories. Also, if possible, a medium sized navel orange if you like!
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup greek yoghurt gets me from breakfast to lunch. Almonds are also good when you're stomach's really rumbling and it's not quite mealtime - even just two almonds can make a difference.
  • jayv85
    Options
    ibesushi wrote: »
    As someone mentioned 4.30am is very early for breakfast. Is it possible to eat breakfast on the way to work or at work instead? I tend to be in a similar position and I would eat breakfast, but by 9.30am I would be hungry again. I found that just eating breakfast a little later greatly reduced my urge to snack at work.

I have a 90 minute drive. I can eat at work. I'm usually not very hungry at 4:30am so I'm thinking of starting smoothies for the drive then I'll just eat breakfast later in the day for a break and eat lunch a little later too. Thankfully we don't really have a set time for any of it.

I brought some roasted peanuts for a snack today for now until I go food shopping tomorrow.
  • Tigiface
    Tigiface Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I need to hold off breakfast for a longer period of time- and then I am not as hungry. If I eat at 5 AM I will be starving at 10 AM. But if I wait until 9 when I am already at work- I am fine. So strange, but I dont want to blow off breakfast altogether but I am better off waiting.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Depends on your lifestyle/worklife

If you start early/long drive
  • insanely_amy
    insanely_amy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make protein bars to stave off hunger between meals. Natural peanut butter, organic honey, quick oats, chia seeds, maybe sunflower seeds, and for an added protein boost, a scoop of protein powder. I don't have measurements (I eyeball it) but I basically heat the honey and p.b. in a microwave until it's thinned out, then add oats and the other ingredients until it's all mixed in and not too dry but still a thick dough like consistency. I press it into a, 8 x8 dish, chill so it sets then cut myself small squares to snack on. Yes, it's got a good bit of sugar, but it's natural and you're getting a protein and fiber boost which should keep you full longer. I haven't worked out the calorie count yet, unfortunately. If you're interested, I'll try to work up a recipe and a fat and calorie count.
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pickles are a good snack too
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    light baby bel cheese and a handful of raspberries is one of my faves. Or those Piller's turkey bite sausage thingies