The biggest hurdles to weight loss are other people, co-workers and peers

Options
13»

Replies

• Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For most people food is a very social thing. For a very select subset of the population, turning down food or eating healthy is a personal affront.

I get it all the time with the vegan thing too. I've probably been jokingly offered bacon once a week for the past 18 years. The worst offenders are some of my best friends. I just smile, roll my eyes and move on. Letting people get under your skin for personal food choices is counter-productive and will drive you crazy.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're weighing everything now so you can not only live a little but live a LOT and a LOT longer. :) Hang tough!
  • elizabethdacostarmt
    Options
    I'm not really sure why you care so much about what they are saying, if anything they are probably just looking for something to talk to you about more then the actual topic. Also calling people sloppy and obese when you are probably still considered obese by medical standards ( over 20 lbs overweight) is kind of rude.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Solution - quit your job, don't have friends
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I started about 4.5 years ago, I tried to not really talk about it or anything, but people obviously noticed that I was bringing my breakfast, lunch, and snacks every day and avoided going out to lunch with everyone or really participating in potlucks and birthday cakes, etc. They'd also see me head out at lunch break in workout clothes.

I had some comments come my way, but I shut them down with "medical reasons" and doctors orders anytime anyone would bring it up. This was actually mostly true as I was really focused on reversing a host of bad health markers that showed up during my 38th birthday physical. Health reasons seemed to make everyone shut the *kitten* up about it pretty quickly.

4.5 years later, everyone is just used to me being me.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    At 197 I don't know where you get off calling other people sloppy tbh. Maybe check your attitude and you may find people are a bit nicer. You sound terribly judgmental because you found the Nutritional God. Step off your high horse my dear.

That was a mean spirited attack. At 197, I still wore a size 34. I have been weight lifting for years.

My sincere apologies but your little tirade in the OP was a bit offensive I'm sure to the obese and "sloppy" people on a, you know, WEIGHT LOSS FORUM...
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I work in a large office full of cakes and *kitten* every other day. I simply don't eat them. I grab a coffee and be social. I weigh and record everything, but I wouldn't weigh food at work, that's going a bit far. I bring lunch from home, and only eat food I've brought for myself. Honestly, it's never been an issue. No one has ever commented on my food. I think they might though if I grabbed half a muffin from the platter and weighed it in front of everyone though.

I really don't think it's anyone's business what I eat, and neither do they. Perhaps it's how you go about it, so that people notice?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No one has ever been negative to me at work... I've gotten comments about how healthy I'm looking, "how'd you do it", "I wish I had time for gym/martial arts/whatever", "nice job maintaining your loss. I know that isn't easy", "I wish I could say no to cookies, etc".... I don't weigh anything in front of people though. I estimate just fine when I do have a meal at work.

The fact that you say that ALL of them are obese/sloppy does make you sound like you're on a high horse, but I still empathize with the negative comments. They wouldn't make me quit, but they'd be annoying AF.