Sodium

Options

Replies

• NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started 3 months ago and once I heard about sodium I decreased it and was feeling okay. Then I slowly added more just to see how I would do and it seemed to be okay until about 3 weeks ago is when I started to feel dizzy when standing up. It's more so in the morning and early afternoon, not so much in the evening. So my doctor said that I was feeling okay because I had enough sodium but with the amount of water I am drinking and the so little sodium I'm eating my body is depleted. I asked her if that would show up on the tests and she said not necessarily. She said sometimes it takes a little while to show up and that I might not of been so depleted when I took the tests. However, I was feeling the same dizziness before the blood tests that I am feeling now yet she said my sodium levels look okay. It just doesn't make sense. She even had me take a urine test.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    My daily MINIMUM goal is 5,000. That is for an highly active workday, and being on Keto.
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

At this point I've not really been working out lately because of the dizziness so I have no way to rid my body of the excess sodium.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    My blood pressure was low four days ago when I went so she ordered labs. I had a checkup today and she said that she didn't see anything in my labs that was a concern. My blood pressure today, after walking 20 feet and sitting down for a few minutes was 126 over 78. She asked what I was getting a day and I told her I struggle to get over 1500 mg a day with the food choices I have been making because of counting calories and she said, " No no no. Your body needs way more sodium than that." So she said to drink 2.5 liters of water a day and increase to 4000 mg a day and to come back in a week or so to see how I'm doing. I asked her if my sodium woukd decrease after that and she said it depended but 2300 is ideal to most doctors, unless they have high blood pressure.

Hmmm...that is definitely not low. I dunno. I might change doctors. :|

Depends on your age. But it's not scary low.

I am 31 currently at 192 pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My daily MINIMUM goal is 5,000. That is for an highly active workday, and being on Keto.
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

At this point I've not really been working out lately because of the dizziness so I have no way to rid my body of the excess sodium.

If you get rid of the dizziness, you can start working out.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

That's what I'm hoping for. I use to go walking 2 times a week and I would use my stationary bike 5 days a week. I haven't worked out in almost a week and I feel like I'm slacking.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

That's what I'm hoping for. I use to go walking 2 times a week and I would use my stationary bike 5 days a week. I haven't worked out in almost a week and I feel like I'm slacking.

So those 2300mg guidelines are for sedentary people. When you become more active, you need more sodium. Below is a pretty good video on sodium from Dr. Layne Norton. He has a PhD in nutritional science and is well known and holds records (or did) in the powerlifting/bodybuilding communities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKk9tbNrfQ
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

So those 2300mg guidelines are for sedentary people. When you become more active, you need more sodium. Below is a pretty good video on sodium from Dr. Layne Norton. He has a PhD in nutritional science and is well known and holds records (or did) in the powerlifting/bodybuilding communities.

I have my activity level at lightly active and that's what it gives me. Unless of course that is what mfp calculates for everyone due to recommended maximum intake.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    Thanks for the video!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

I have my activity level at lightly active and that's what it gives me. Unless of course that is what mfp calculates for everyone due to recommended maximum intake.

Honestly, i dont pay attention to most of MFPs recommendations for nutrients, especially since i workout. I aim for 4 to 6k. My blood pressure doesn't change from it. Still 110/70
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    My last 6 days
    3/23-6,063mg
    3/24-9,034mg
    3/25-6,341mg
    3/26-4,419mg
    3/27-6,890mg
    3/28-10,071mg

It is. MFP doesn't take into account activity level when calculating the sodium. It's the blanket recommendation for everyone.
  • NavajoGirl85
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do light workouts when I workout and right now I'm not working out at all so I feel I need to keep track of all my other nutrients. When I workout I only do things like stationary bike for 30 minutes maybe 4 times a week and I only walk like 3 miles once a week weather permitting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I do light workouts when I workout and right now I'm not working out at all so I feel I need to keep track of all my other nutrients. When I workout I only do things like stationary bike for 30 minutes maybe 4 times a week and I only walk like 3 miles once a week weather permitting.

That's not sedentary, which is what the recommendation is for. Up your sodium. I feel like the "bloating" you experience is mostly in your head.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's not sedentary, which is what the recommendation is for. Up your sodium. I feel like the "bloating" you experience is mostly in your head.

I wish it was. The bloating is in my stomach, makes me look like I've gained 10 pounds just in my stomach. Yeah I clean houses 4 days a week for at least 5 hours a day too.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I wish it was. The bloating is in my stomach, makes me look like I've gained 10 pounds just in my stomach. Yeah I clean houses 4 days a week for at least 5 hours a day too.

Does it happen when you sodium load or carb load as well. And how you see your own body generally isn't what others see as well.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options

Does it happen when you sodium load or carb load as well. And how you see your own body generally isn't what others see as well.

I keep my carbs below 125 grams a day usually but have noticed that if I eat mostly carbs for the day I feel stuffy the next day. With sodium I feel stuffy but my stomach looks like I have a baby in it when I wake up lol.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I keep my carbs below 125 grams a day usually but have noticed that if I eat mostly carbs for the day I feel stuffy the next day. With sodium I feel stuffy but my stomach looks like I have a baby in it when I wake up lol.

Just to point out, as you reduce carbs, the need for sodium increases. Its to offset and water losses and depletion of glycogen and electrolytes.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options

Just to point out, as you reduce carbs, the need for sodium increases. Its to offset and water losses and depletion of glycogen and electrolytes.

That's would make sense because about the same amount of time I have been restricting so many carbs is about the time I started to feel dizzy. I wouldn't worry about the bloated look so much if i was smaller because it wouldn't be so noticable to me visually and physically. But since I'm still heavy, although I've lost 47 pounds, it's much more noticeable right now.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I had to take my dad to the emergency room once, years ago, when he suffered a sudden drop in blood pressure. He was living with his parents at the time, and Grandma was cooking everything with very low sodium to help with Grandpa's blood pressure, and low sodium was the only possible culprit that showed up in Dad's blood work. The doctor prescribed an anchovy pizza.

Me likes that doctor!

I have low blood and need to eat a diet higher in sodium (around 5000mg/day) to feel mostly human. Add female hormones to the mix and my weight can go up/down a good 5-8lbs per day. It's just something I have to live with and it's by far preferable to passing out at random moments because I moved my head too fast.

"Low blood"? You mean low blood pressure?

Just wondering...I generally have a lower BP (90/60 or something like that) but it's not really a problem. But it's also why I never really worry about my sodium intake (that and my cardio).
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    I just want to find a healthy medium to where this will be my longterm success. I workout for sometimes a straight week and take only a day off. Then there's times where I only get on my stationary bike for 15 minutes once a day for 4 days. Then things like this happen and I stop for a week. I don't want my numbers to constantly bump around. Although that's probably why the body is so good at regulating things all the time.
  • NavajoGirl85
    Options
    My blood pressure used to be sky high on the verge of hypertension but now it's went down.