Camping snacks

Options
MzManiak
MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 4 day/ 3 night camping trip. Most meals will be provided. But I need ideas for snacks. Things we can eat on the go that will hopefully help my macros since I'm sure most of the meals they provide will be full of carbs and sugars and probably fat.

I've done a search for past topics similar to this, so I'll be taking protein bars, beef jerky, nuts, raisins, and oranges.... any other suggestions?

Replies

• hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Trail Mix & Vegetable Chips & All Natural Fruit Leathers

That's what I took on vacation.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    What are vegetable chips and fruit leathers?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Vegetable chips can be found in the organic section of the grocery store, sometimes they are mixed in with the regular chips in the chip isle. They are chips make from vegetables, like potatoes, carrots, peas. They are pretty good depending on the brand you get.

Fruit leathers are like a fruit roll up but healthier I guess. They aren't in a roll though, it's like a flat strip of fruit. I believe those can also be found in the organic section, or in the nuts and dried fruit section of the grocery store.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Fruit Leather and they for sure have the best price. It's usually by granola bars or with the kid's food in Whole Foods/Sprouts type markets.

You can also pre-slice carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, etc. and bring a packet of hummus for dipping.

Kale chips are super easy to make at home and much cheaper than buying at the store. Just rinse the kale, rip into small pieces, toss in a tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, then back at 375 for 10-15 minutes.
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Quest bars, dried fruit, homemade protein cookies, nuts, apples?
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit, nuts, trail mix, jerky. Hiking is not one of the times you'd want to skimp on carbs since you're body will need a lot of energy. You can make your own trail mix with nuts, flaked coconut, dried fruit and maybe some chocolate pieces. This let's you prepare a larger amount while saving money; there are plenty of recipes online Keeping powdered gatorade or pedialite handy will also be good incase anyone is prone to dehydration.