62 yrs old - is it reasonable to start running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Go for it but a couple things first. And I know I'm repeating what others have said already, but it's just good advice.

Pay real money for some good shoes from a running store that does a gait analysis.
    Double check with your doctor to be sure there are no concerns.
    C25K sounds right as you are already walking.
    Find and sign up for a 5K in about 10 weeks. Give yourself a goal to work towards.
  • crazed1more
    crazed1more Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Run. But like others out there have said start slow. Set small goals first, like first just up the block. Then increase after a week or so. The right shoes also make a huge difference. Also if there are some available in your area, and if it is in your budget get a running coach. They can offer a huge amount of knowledge. Good luck and great work on the weight loss, you are rocking it.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, Everyone. Your all make very good sense and I will put your advice to good use.

@crazed1more - I live way out in the sticks and my "block" is 4.5 miles long - lol. But of course I get your meaning. Just thought it was funny :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned get a check up and ease into it. Don't know her past history but a friend's sister started getting physically active at age 60. She's 72 now and has completed 3 Ironman distance triathlons since age 70

Best of luck.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Go for it. There are people more than 40 years your senior who are running.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's a seniors running club that goes to a lot of the 5ks that I go to. I believe they are all in their 60s and 70s. A lot of the races the teens in track come in first but right behind them are the seniors. Last race I was at with them one of the seniors came in first. I have been to races with people in their 80s - they might be walkers but damn inspiring either way. They are all totally my inspiration. I don't think I'll ever be as fast as most of them but if I am still active at their age then I'll be happy.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I started running at 55 and just completed my 3rd marathon. I was a walker, but never thought I could be a runner. I found that running was less stress on my knees than hiking. I also find it a great way of dealing with my energy. It's fun for me to explore my area on foot. I enjoy racing as well and am always happy to see people in their 70's and up at the races. Take it slowly and see how it goes.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Run birgitkwood run.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Get fitted for good shoes at a place that looks at your stride.
    Start slow. Slower than you want to go....No, slower than that.

Absolutely do it

ETA: and congratulations! :flower:
  • TPetey55
    TPetey55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The concern about impact on your joints is a reasonable one. If, after you start running, you feel as though you might be doing yourself some damage, I'd recommend spending some time on the elliptical. It'll really get your heart pumping (be careful about that, too, of course. Monitor your heart rate and keep yourself safe) and you'll work much harder than you do when you walk so you'll burn a lot more calories (at least twice as many) in the same time compared to walking, all with minimal impact on your joints.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We hold a Navy reunion every year and do a 4 mi run on the beach. I went to my first one 20 years ago and put to shame by the vets in their 50s.

Get a good pair of shoes and do it! Go slowly, but keep pushing forward and challenging yourself every day.