Vegetarian low carb/IF -advice and ideas please

Options
I've been calorie counting for a while now and making slow, two steps forward-one step back progress. The main problem seems to be hunger - I'm eating enough calories (1400-1800) but usually run out of calories well before I stop being hungry. So some weeks I go to bed hungry and grumpy but lose weight, other weeks I eat past my calories and go to bed happy but gain/maintain. Minor problems are that I have PCOS, so I'm aware weight loss will be a longer, slower process, also that I'm gluten intolerant and sick of paying more for products that don't taste as nice as the proper version, despite added sugar and fat to improve the taste.

I'm thinking that a solution to all of the above could be to continue to count calories but switch to a low carb diet. In theory that would increase sataity and make me less likely to eat over my calories. It would hopefully improve the insulin resistance that comes with the PCOS and steer my diet away from foods manufactured to be gluten free and more towards less processed, more nutritional food. I was also thinking of throwing a bit of fasting in the mix, partly to improve my insulin levels and partly to save precious calories for fewer but larger meals.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have tried this, especially vegetarians. How did it work for you? What are the pros and cons? Do you have any tasty food ideas?