lost 50 to 52 lbs still look like a fat *kitten*

Options
2»

Replies

• BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    But 0.5lb a week is a safe rate of weight loss. The problem here is your expectations.
  • txBen01
    txBen01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made my diet public You would have to scroll back to June last year as i stopped for a while ( hence the 8 lbs gain) so starting again. I was not thinking what i was doing was bad the thinks i eat as you will see are good no junk food or processed stuff. a lot of chicken and Turkey and egg beaters.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    txBen01 wrote: »
    I made my diet public You would have to scroll back to June last year as i stopped for a while ( hence the 8 lbs gain) so starting again. I was not thinking what i was doing was bad the thinks i eat as you will see are good no junk food or processed stuff. a lot of chicken and Turkey and egg beaters.

What are your goals? Because more than likely, starting loggin is a good start. Eating a more appopriate calorie level should be your other first thing (probably 1800-2000). Adding adequate protein (~150g) and resistance training should be the other thing. That is how you don't look like a fat *kitten*. :p
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    hr3i956xvu67.jpg

I love this fat *kitten*
  • txBen01
    txBen01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that i should be 180 but he said that was unrealistic and he would be happy at if i got to 200 so i am at 209.5 this morning so i want to go to 180 by July August. I have absolutely no health issue that i need to deal with blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good cholesterol etc all very good. I just want to loose weight
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lift weights... Additional muscle will drastically change how you *look*.

"StrongLifts5x5" or "Bigger Leaner Stronger" are good starting points.

Well done with the weight loss.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Ok it took me about 4 to 5 months to loose the 50 + lbs i weigh my self every morning and found that when i was at 1500 1600 cal i did not really loose weight. .5 lbs a week but when i go to below 1200 i could loose 2 some times 3 lbs a week. I am 52 years old maybe i am over reacting lol mid life crises.

It's mathematically impossible to lose 2-3 lbs at 1100-1200 but only lose 1/2 at 1500 calories because your maintenance calories are 2200-2700. At 1200 calories, you would be averaging 1000-1500 calorie deficit per day. Adding 250 calories, isn't going to shrink that exponentially. At best, it was water weights masking fat loss.

But also, losing 2-3 lbs/ week is super aggressive and a guarantee for increase muscle loss.

Unless not logging or highly innacurate logging (which I suspect) is at play.

OP, males should eat at least 1500 for weight loss. Any lower and you definitely risk losing more muscle and affecting your health as well as your heart. You feel like crap because of the fast weight loss and low calorie. Believe me, I've been there...

Use a food scale for everything that isn't actually a liquid. Choose correct database entries (match them with your food packaging or USDA entries). Only use cups/spoons for liquids.

And? Relax. Give yourself some credit. Losing 50lbs is HUGE!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My doctor told me that i should be 180 but he said that was unrealistic and he would be happy at if i got to 200 so i am at 209.5 this morning so i want to go to 180 by July August. I have absolutely no health issue that i need to deal with blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good cholesterol etc all very good. I just want to loose weight

I am the same height as you, about 15 years younger, but there should be no reason why you can't get down to even 170 or lower (depending on what your body composition looks like). Heck, when I started, I though I would be ideal at 175 but I need to cut further to get single digit body fat.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We don't always see the changes in ourselves. Like others have mentioned, take pictures for comparison. I've lost 125 pounds and sometimes i don't think i look different than i did before except when I go back and see pictures of my face then and now, and there is a huge difference. Yes, i also have the problem with wearing baggy clothing. Using youtube videos, i taught myself how to sew and hope to build up the courage soon to actually start tailoring my own clothes and also make some from fabric i have at home.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    We're built kinda the same. I'm 54, 5'11", about 219 (started at 240). I'm losing 2 lbs/week and eating A LOT more than 1200 calories. Occasionally double that. Most days I end up eating about 1950, which I am learning is not enough for my activity level. Yesterday I ate about 2500 and still had room for 300 more. You should definitely be eating back some of you exercise calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm just going to agree with what I think is already good advice you've been given:
    • You already lost 50 lbs and that is AWESOME!
    • Make sure your stats are correct in MFP and set your goal to 1 lb per week,
    • Commit to logging consistently, every day, as accurately as possible.
    • Add in some kind of strength training program, if you have to cut back the cardio a little to make that happen, do it. There are some great body weight programs, or if you can go the gym or have a barbell, some great programs for that too.
    • Make sure you are getting enough protein, your muscles need it.
    • Your weight loss will probably slow down a little, but you will start strengthening your muscles and feeding your body what it needs, which should make you feel better.

Give yourself the credit you deserve, and hang in there. Good luck :drinker:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,907 Member
    Options
    Count me as another vote for eating at least 1500 calories and lifting weights.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since no one else said it, I will pick up the mantle of bad guy (sigh).

The reason you still "look fat" is because you are. (Being fat is okay, we should all love ourselves, btw, I'm not trying to insult you, just being honest.)

BMI calculator gets a lot of negative press by people, but the undeniable fact is that BMI does a really good job of estimating a normal healthy weight for the vast majority of the population. Doubley so if you are not a strength based athlete. If you are concerned about still "looking fat" then you need to become unfat. In all reality you probably need to get down to 165 to 170lbs.

So, again, I'm not trying to be offensive. Just trying to expose some uncomfortable truth about weight. If you've lost 50, you can lose another 40. It's just another leg of your journey. You have to figure out what's important to you.

kBLIToQ.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's great -- it means there is no need to rush it, and you can approach the rest aiming for maybe 1 lb/week or so and also trying to build some muscle (with a progressive program, as psulemon and others will tell you about).

I agree with others that you often don't see the change in yourself, too -- I bet there's more of a difference than you realize. Taking photos can help with that.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Another thing I want to say is be more kind to yourself calling yourself a fat *insert swear word* is a bit harsh. I think you're a strong hardworking person to work hard in trying to better your life and reduce your weight.