Options
13»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Yes I'm trying to lose weight, the problem is I lose weight so fast. I am about 155 lbs at the moment, I'm trying to get to 130. Well I started eating about 1200 calories a day and exercising daily and now I'm losing about 1-2 lbs a day. I know that's not healthy and I don't want to lose it that fast. A couple months back I did the same thing, was at 155 lbs and lost 20 lbs in about a month. The reason why I don't want to lose weight fast is because I gain it back so fast and I don't want that to happen again. Why does that happen? What do I do?

Before you take the advice to eat more; how long have you been doing this? If it is 2 weeks or under them leave your calories where they are. You're losing water weight, especially if you have reduced carbs and sodium as well as calories.

If it has been a month and you're still losing fast (and using food scale as well as logging accurately), increase your calories.

But if she's netting less than 1200 by not eating back any exercise calories, she needs to increase her calories anyway.

Why? She says she is eating 1200 calories per day, which is the minimum recommended for women.

So she's good to go burn 500 calories on a run only eating 1200 calories? (I'm not saying this is a likely scenario, and in fact, OP didn't specify how much she was exercising or if she was eating any back, but if she has a history of losing that fast at her size, she is not netting enough calories.)

No, probably not, but if her TDEE is 1,800 and she is eating 1,650 then a 500 calorie workout would give her a MFP Net of 1,150 and her deficit is 650. Would you have a problem with that?

But she didn't tell us how many calories she is burning in her workout. Maybe she is just spending a few minutes lifting heavy things and her calorie burn is 50 calories. Eating 1,200 calories per day, her MFP Net is still 1,150 calories and her deficit is still 650. Would you have a problem with that?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    1lb fast is water weight. 2lbs fast is water weight. 5 lbs fast is water weight.
    10lbs? 20lbs? I don't think so. At some point there is more than water weight.

A huge deficit created by under-eating and over-exercising throwing you in a VLCD situation and significantly affecting your hormonal levels... much more likely.

"There was group × time interaction in serum concentrations of leptin, testosterone, T3 (p < 0.001), and estradiol (p < 0.01; Figures 3A–D). This was shown as decreases in these hormones due to the diet when compared to the control group. Leptin and estradiol (Figures 3A,C) increased back to baseline while T3 (Figures 3D, 4) and testosterone (Figure 3B) remained slightly, but significantly below the baseline even after the recovery period"

<my note: recovery period was 3-4 months with weight regain>
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2016.00689/full

Sounds like a compelling arguement for testosterone and T3 "supplementation".

Joking of course.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    1lb fast is water weight. 2lbs fast is water weight. 5 lbs fast is water weight.
    10lbs? 20lbs? I don't think so. At some point there is more than water weight.

A huge deficit created by under-eating and over-exercising throwing you in a VLCD situation and significantly affecting your hormonal levels... much more likely.

"There was group × time interaction in serum concentrations of leptin, testosterone, T3 (p < 0.001), and estradiol (p < 0.01; Figures 3A–D). This was shown as decreases in these hormones due to the diet when compared to the control group. Leptin and estradiol (Figures 3A,C) increased back to baseline while T3 (Figures 3D, 4) and testosterone (Figure 3B) remained slightly, but significantly below the baseline even after the recovery period"

<my note: recovery period was 3-4 months with weight regain>
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2016.00689/full

Sounds like a compelling arguement for testosterone and T3 "supplementation".

Joking of course.

Based on the OP's subsequent input she is on her first week and has dropped 7 (not 10+) lbs.

So it does sound like the 7lbs loss is a significant amount of water weight *borrowed loss as I like to call it* in addition to a few lbs of fat loss. Possibly in conjunction with favourable "high weight/low weight" scale measurements. And we don't need to look further than that for now :smiley: Or supplement :wink:

The part that confuses me, is the point of the OP's post!

Surely it is not a surprise that weight changes depend on the calories we actually absorb and on the calories we actually spend.. and not on what we tell an app that we are planning to do... ?

If you get exited, eat nothing and exercise even more... your deficit increases and your weight loss accelerates.. errr, what's confusing about that?