Diet Coke, Diet Green Tea, Crystal Light...all the same?

Options
ChelzFit
ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
I love my Diet Coke and I already drink 2 a day guilt free. Before I work out I love a little preworkout boost from a small amount of caffeine and I am not into coffee. I love the carbonation of Diet Coke and could drink it with my breakfast every morning before I workout but for some reason I feel guilty adding another one into my day. Instead I have a Lipton Diet Citrus Green tea or I use a Crystal Light energy packet...but I would rather have my Diet Coke. I guess my question is are they pretty much the same in terms of artificial sweetener or do you consider one a more better option than the other?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It's all good! I can't fathom having anything bubbly in my stomach before a workout but that's just me. More power to you!
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners as you know all pretty much are unhealthy. I have been using Stevia in the raw, as I can't find a bunch of negatives as of yet. The issue of course is there aren't tons of drinks made with it yet. Coca Cola life uses it along with real cane sugar and is about 60 calories per 8 oz. Try drinking Matcha green tea, it has about half the caffeine as a cup of coffee but is loaded with anti oxidants!
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do you like the syrupy sweetness of the diet soda? For me I found that for the most part I like the 'burn' of the carbonation. Have you tried LaCroix before? It's definitely NOT sweet (like at all) but I've learned to really love it over the past several years since I stopped drinking soda on a daily basis. Target has all sorts of flavors too...you should give it a try!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    I love my Diet Coke and I already drink 2 a day guilt free. Before I work out I love a little preworkout boost from a small amount of caffeine and I am not into coffee. I love the carbonation of Diet Coke and could drink it with my breakfast every morning before I workout but for some reason I feel guilty adding another one into my day. Instead I have a Lipton Diet Citrus Green tea or I use a Crystal Light energy packet...but I would rather have my Diet Coke. I guess my question is are they pretty much the same in terms of artificial sweetener or do you consider one a more better option than the other?

None are a better option. None are a worse option. Artificial sweetener is neutral for the vast majority of people. Some do have reactions to it, but they are in the minority. Drink what you like.

Personally, I like my coffee and mostly fizzy water (I fizz my own with a SodaStream and add extracts to flavor it) with an occasional soda. I have to have still water before and during a workout though, the bubbles make for some embarrassing gastric effects since I can no longer burp.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Jayco141 wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners as you know all pretty much are unhealthy. I have been using Stevia in the raw, as I can't find a bunch of negatives as of yet. The issue of course is there aren't tons of drinks made with it yet. Coca Cola life uses it along with real cane sugar and is about 60 calories per 8 oz. Try drinking Matcha green tea, it has about half the caffeine as a cup of coffee but is loaded with anti oxidants!

Hopefully she doesn't know that, because it isn't true.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

not true..

Do you have any peer reviewed evidence to back that statement up?

OP - drink what you want to drink as long as you hit your daily calorie/macro/micro goals...as all of the drinks you listed are zero calories, they should not impact what you are doing one way or another...
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whether non-nutritive sweeteners are safe depends on your definition of safe. Studies leading to FDA approval have ruled out cancer risk, for the most part. However, those studies were done using far smaller amounts of diet soda than the 24 ounces a day consumed by many people who drink diet soda. We really don’t know what effect large amounts of these chemicals will have over many years.

* I choose not to drink it, I shouldn't say that its completely unhealthy. Of course, yes it has zero calories. But don't tell me its not true, in fact its simply unknown.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whether non-nutritive sweeteners are safe depends on your definition of safe. Studies leading to FDA approval have ruled out cancer risk, for the most part. However, those studies were done using far smaller amounts of diet soda than the 24 ounces a day consumed by many people who drink diet soda. We really don’t know what effect large amounts of these chemicals will have over many years.

* I choose not to drink it, I shouldn't say that its completely unhealthy. Of course, yes it has zero calories. But don't tell me its not true, in fact its simply unknown.

http://aspartame.org/research-summaries/

For all intents and purposes, you made the claim they are all unhealthy so the burden of proof would really lie on you to prove that. This is just list of research about Aspartame being much less "unhealthy" than once thought. I am not going to pretend I read through all of these, but there seems to be much more saying there are no concerns with it than there are saying that we should be concerned.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions! Of course during my workouts I have no problem drinking regular water and throughout the day (besides my 2 diet cokes) I drink propel water or clear American from Walmart. I know they all contain aspartame and water is probably the best, but there are a lot of things I consider I do right (not smoking, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, etc.) so if my vice is drinking drinks with aspartame I'm okay with it.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinions! Of course during my workouts I have no problem drinking regular water and throughout the day (besides my 2 diet cokes) I drink propel water or clear American from Walmart. I know they all contain aspartame and water is probably the best, but there are a lot of things I consider I do right (not smoking, exercise regularly, get enough sleep, etc.) so if my vice is drinking drinks with aspartame I'm okay with it.

Whatever makes you happy is what you should do. If you had a sensitivity or allergy to artificial sweeteners you would know it by now so go for it!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners as you know all pretty much are unhealthy

Lol. Not true.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The only difference is the carbonation. For some people there is a tipping point where too much carbonation can lead to bloating or gassiness. So I would say if you start adding one in the morning, just be aware of that and adjust if necessary.

Also carbonated bevs can be bad for your teeth, so be mindful of that as well. I usually try to swish with plain water occasionally, and just make sure I practice good oral hygiene regardless.

Having said that, Coke Zero rules and Diet Coke drools, so there :drinker:
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Coke Zero rules and Diet Coke drools, so there :drinker:

Diet Dr. Pepper is supreme over all

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

^ 93 pages worth of research review.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No one has linked to @Aaron_K123 great thread yet?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I don't like the taste, so I don't drink them much, but there's nothing wrong with them.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's negligible calories in most diet colas, so you're not going to have to worry about any weight gain. And caffeine tolerance is highly individual (for example, I drink coffee & caffeinated tea pretty much from sunrise 'till I go to bed with no problems,), but the jury is still out on the long-term effects of artificial sweeteners, especially in high amounts. I still use them, but I try to limit what I consume to a few sticks of gum and maybe a Coke Zero every couple of days.

Have you ever tried Zevia? It's a line of diet sodas sweetened with stevia, and without any caramel coloring. Most of them taste pretty good, and I especially like their cherry and cream sodas. As for whether Crystal Light or Lipton is a better choice and Coke, I'd probably just stick with the diet coke. At least those taste good. Lipton tastes like piss, and and mom made me drink so much Crystal Light as a kid that I can't stand lemonade anymore.

That said, how can you drink a soda at breakfast? Having something that syrup-y sweet so early in the morning turns my stomach. :s
  • earlnabby
    Options
    but the jury is still out on the long-term effects of artificial sweeteners, especially in high amounts.

So 60+ years of study that shows they are safe for most people isn't enough??????????