Fitbit calories

Options
I just started using a fitbit flex that someone gave me (so I dont have any instructions).

I am just wondering how accurate the calories displayed on MFP when I sync the two are? Does anyone know how it is calculated?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you create your MFP account, you choose an activity level. I'll use myself for an example. I chose "Sedentary" and, as a result, MFP assumes I will move a certain amount throughout the day. My Fitbit calories begin to show up when I have moved *more* than my activity levels suggests that I would have. So I may wake up and do a quick walk with my dogs and none of those steps will create an adjustment because I'm still under the amount of activity that "Sedentary" would suggest. But it's a nice day and I decide to walk to work and about ten minutes into the walk, I've now moved *more* than MFP would have guessed. My subsequent steps will create an adjustment.

Now let's say I had chosen "Lightly Active." MFP would assume that I move more than a sedentary person, so it will take longer for me to hit my initial goal. I might not begin to see an adjustment until later in the day. Or if I move just enough to truly be "Lightly Active," I will never see an adjustment even if I do exercise. This is great because it prevents "double dipping" into calories.

So it works in conjunction with your activity level. How accurate is it? Some people, like myself, find it to be incredibly accurate. Others find it underestimates or overestimates. The best plan is to pay attention to your results. I know mine is accurate because I eat back all my adjustments and I maintain my weight. If I had gained weight instead, I would know that it was giving me too many calories. If I lost weight, I would know that it was giving me too little.