How many times did you "relapse" before you finally kept the weight off long term?

Options
I am feeling SO frustrated and angry and disgusted with myself. This is like the THIRD time I have backslid and gained the same 20 pounds. I got down to 172 which is 2 pounds away from goal and now I am back up to 196. I am on track again, but eventually it has to click forever right???

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I think I joined in 2011 and didn't get serious until 2014. Many failure and crash diets in between. You just have to decide when the right time I for you and go with a plan that will suit you for life.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1 x if you count the time I gained most of the weight I had lost with a crash diet back
    2 x if you count 40 lbs gained during my second pregnancy after losing 90 lbs
    3 x if you count the 10 lbs I put on last year due to poor choices and poor tracking (2x if you don't count the pregancy) after getting to 138 lbs lost
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Well if you count fad diets like Atkins/Keto I started those at least 3-4 times and never kept weight off for more than a few months before reverting to old ways. Once I understood the energy balance though, none. It's been since 2013 and I occasionally stop tracking and yolo my way up 10lbs or so but I know how to fix it and I do it qute easily. I don't think 10lbs up or down is considered yo-yoing so I'm okay with that as a buffer to signal me to get my kitten together
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    zero...

though I do put on about 8-10 Lbs every winter due to a decrease in overall activity...but it comes right off in the spring when I get out on my bike more and start doing fun stuff outdoors with the kiddos.

I never had a weight problem until I was in my 30s and took a desk job...I never really tried to lose weight before either. When I was 38 I went to get my physical and came out with some nasty blood work and other health markers...I namely worked to correct those and as a former athlete growing up, I really wanted to get my fitness back. Dropping 40 Lbs was more or less a nice bi-product of better living. I have a hereditary uphill battle in regards to many things, so I definitely put a premium on quality nutrition and regular exercise. I have two little ones at home and I'm just doing my part to make sure I'm around as long as possible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Once, 18 years ago... but it took me 14 years to be 100% committed. I joined MFP 5 years ago and been maintaining for almost 3 years now.

Ask yourself why you fail. There's a good chance that whatever change you're doing is just not sustainable for you... find something that is.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? I'd just focus on the future and learn from the past, don't count how many times you've failed.

But if you're looking for validation that others have tried and failed multiple times, you are definitely not the only person!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Many times. I was down to a reasonable "goal weight" (down 65 lbs) and gained over 80 back before I even thought about what maintenance would mean. Since then I did the lose 10 gain 10 over and over.
    When did it click?
    When I finally realized there was a lot more to it than just being a lighter weight ASAP. When I realized I didn't HAVE to lose the weight all in one shot. I started thinking more about how I should be managing my weight, not just how to lose the most. (This was my mindset losing it the first time, and unfortunately lead me to gaining it back just as quickly.)
    I eat more than before when I am actively trying to lose now, and I am still consistent with tracking even when I'm not. I found something to keep me active whether I'm losing/maintaining/frustrated with myself (lifting).
    I'm down over 35 lbs from my heaviest currently, and although it's taken longer I feel much more accomplished than I did even getting to my lowest weight the first time.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Many many times over 20 years, but I didn't know about my TDEE and I always went on unsustainable "diets".

Now I know I have a certain amount of calories I can eat before weight gain and I now eat the way I want and like to eat. Meaning I'm not restricting any foods, nothing is "bad".

Looking at it in this new way has changed my views like I'm no longer in a rush to lose, I don't see myself as "on a diet", nor do my friends who are happy to see me lose and still have a couple of slices of pizza and wine.

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My weight loss chart looks like a heartbeat. I've never been overweight, but I always seem to go up and down between 140lbs - 160lbs. Really hoping this time it'll stick, I want to get back into the 130s! I always seem to fall off the wagon during the winter.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, the 6th time is the charm!

2ytxh2udxlny.png
  • Kfont42
    Kfont42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I completely sympathize with you. That's exactly where I am right now.

A few years ago, I weighed in at 178 pounds, which was the most I have ever weighed. I was already in a terrible state of mind because I wasn't happy with my job and I just ended a pretty wretched relationship, so add that extra weight into all of that, and I was feeling pretty miserable with myself. But that was when I took control of my weight and started running. I lost 18 pounds. I had tears in my eyes when I stood on the scale and saw that I weighed 160 - my lightest weight in years.

But lately, I've been stressed out with grad school and buying a new house, and working out was the first thing to go. I also wasn't paying attention to my diet, and I was cheating far too much. When I stood on the scale on Tuesday, I weighed 171 pounds and I wanted to cry. I spent the entire yoga class trying to calm down because I was so mad at myself. Yes, I know how I got to that weight, and I know how to fix it. But I was frustrated that I had to lose all of that weight again and then keep pushing to my goal weight.

As sllm1 said, I think the biggest thing is forgiving yourself for losing focus, and then to keep pushing forward. We can do this!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Zero while on MFP, it was either use the tools or not. After many failed years prior to MFP it was either buckle down and do the work or not, as no one was accountable to me but me. Everyone has their own path to follow, everyone needs different things to help them achieve their goals..

A food scale and this handy app was all I ended up needing and the right mindset..
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I was lose 5-10 and give up many times over the years. Finally I got it right, I guess. What was different? I started paying attention to my activity, moving more. And maybe was just ready. As I understood calorie counting, food logging and whatnot before. But would still fall off track after a few weeks.

Maybe also the 'technology' of being able to log by phone? I did not have that 5 years ago. (Was end of 2013 that I got started, and then in 2014 successfully reached maintenance.)
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Kfont42 wrote: »
    I completely sympathize with you. That's exactly where I am right now.

A few years ago, I weighed in at 178 pounds, which was the most I have ever weighed. I was already in a terrible state of mind because I wasn't happy with my job and I just ended a pretty wretched relationship, so add that extra weight into all of that, and I was feeling pretty miserable with myself. But that was when I took control of my weight and started running. I lost 18 pounds. I had tears in my eyes when I stood on the scale and saw that I weighed 160 - my lightest weight in years.

But lately, I've been stressed out with grad school and buying a new house, and working out was the first thing to go. I also wasn't paying attention to my diet, and I was cheating far too much. When I stood on the scale on Tuesday, I weighed 171 pounds and I wanted to cry. I spent the entire yoga class trying to calm down because I was so mad at myself. Yes, I know how I got to that weight, and I know how to fix it. But I was frustrated that I had to lose all of that weight again and then keep pushing to my goal weight.

As sllm1 said, I think the biggest thing is forgiving yourself for losing focus, and then to keep pushing forward. We can do this!

That's exactly how it was :(
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was lose 5-10 and give up many times over the years. Finally I got it right, I guess. What was different? I started paying attention to my activity, moving more. And maybe was just ready. As I understood calorie counting, food logging and whatnot before. But would still fall off track after a few weeks.

Maybe also the 'technology' of being able to log by phone? I did not have that 5 years ago. (Was end of 2013 that I got started, and then in 2014 successfully reached maintenance.)

I need to get a phone with the internet! That would make it SO much easier! All I have is a big old computer..
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Lost count years ago, then something just clicked one day and I stayed on track. Now I've spent the last year and a half trying get something to just click again so I can lose another 20lbs.