Always hungry

If any one has any tips on how to stay full through out the day I would really appreciate it. I feel like I have tried everything. I eat breakfast, I have cut out sugary foods for breakfast. I eat salads before my entree at lunch and dinner. I try and only snack on fruits, and mostly raw veggies (usually with hummus) . I track my water intake to make sure I'm drinking​ enough. And I changed my goal to only lose 1/2 lb a WK. All this and I still feel hungry in-between meals, which is killing my weight loss because eventually I give in and eat too much. Please help.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    What's your calorie goal?

Are you eating exercise calories (if you have them)?

Are you sure you are getting enough protein, fiber, and fat?
  • alliray2011
    alliray2011 Posts: 4 Member
    1,530. Yes I eat exercise calories. I might be lacking on protein some days. Most of my protein comes from eggs and dairy. I eat very little meat or fish. Fiber and fats are good though. Do you have any suggestions for getting more protein. I don't like meat much.
  • janejellyroll
    1,530. Yes I eat exercise calories. I might be lacking on protein some days. Most of my protein comes from eggs and dairy. I eat very little meat or fish. Fiber and fats are good though. Do you have any suggestions for getting more protein. I don't like meat much.

I don't eat meat either -- I get my protein mostly from beans, seitan, tempeh, and tofu. Since you eat eggs and dairy, these are other options to boost your protein, just eat more of the protein-containing foods you're already eating. Some people find that getting more protein helps them feel more satisfied. It might be worth a shot for you.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Quinoa, tofu, beans, lentils, legumes, hummus (chickpeas)........
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Nuts are filling and have protein, fat, and fiber - add a few raw almonds to your fruit snack
    I add protein powder to my morning coffee and that is quite filling which says a lot as I am a morning workout person
    Apple dipped in a nut butter is really filling
    I am usually between 1225-1300 cals and rarely feel overly hungry (aggressive weight loss goals)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    I plan it out so I am constantly eating. 200 calorie breakfast, 100 calorie snack, 300 calorie lunch, 100 calorie snack, then whatever's left for dinner for my most substantial meal (usually between 500-700 calories depending on the exact amounts earlier in the day).

I cannot go long periods without eating either, which is why I break them up into several categories with lower calories throughout the day. And saving a chunk for dinner allows for the opportunity to borrow from that group if needed.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Protein helps with satiety.

And I agree that you'll get used to that slightly hungry feeling - it's not as uncomfortable as it seems if you think about it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    For me, protein and fat both help a lot with satiety. I was constantly hungry on different macros. For me, switching to low carb and eating more fat and protein made a huge difference in terms of hunger and cravings and feeling satisfied within my calorie goal. This works for some people but not others; it might be worth a try.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If any one has any tips on how to stay full through out the day I would really appreciate it. I feel like I have tried everything. I eat breakfast, I have cut out sugary foods for breakfast. I eat salads before my entree at lunch and dinner. I try and only snack on fruits, and mostly raw veggies (usually with hummus) . I track my water intake to make sure I'm drinking​ enough. And I changed my goal to only lose 1/2 lb a WK. All this and I still feel hungry in-between meals, which is killing my weight loss because eventually I give in and eat too much. Please help.

Make sure you're getting enough fat, protein and fibre
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    I have decided to embrace the hunger because no matter what I do or eat, I am still hungry
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    I have the same problem but it is at night so I have some almonds and that helps you may just have to let the hunger go after some time what I have found is the hunger goes away sorry if this is not much help
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2017
    I will say something a bit controversial....

It's okay and it's normal, to be hungry. It's only in the past century or so where humanity has such an over abundance of food. Hunger up until then has been a very normal part of life (and for many people in the world it still is!!).

Physically and literally losing fat is the act of starving your body from less food than it uses. No matter what anyone ever tells me, you can not convince me that it's supposed to "feel nice". It's a necessary evil. Case in point, will power will power will power. Decide what's important to you. Is the extra food more important than losing a half pound this week? That's something only you can answer.

Its a recipe for failure if you ask me.
    Ive lost 70 pounds since July 2016, doing the opposite of what you describe.

1: When I was hungry, I would eat, and would not go hungry for more than 30-60 min.
    2: I would NOT eat when when I was not hungry.
    3: I would eat slowly, to prevent me from overeating.

Its been highly effective as you can see here.
    apko4cdpdshn.jpg

And ive felt "nice" the whole way. Better than nice actually. No cravings, no hormone imbalance.

You are not starving your body just because you eat less than you burn. The body has plenty of energy reserves (known as fat)
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Ironically, I found the best way to manage my hunger was to skip breakfast. Then I can have two large meals a day instead of 3 smaller ones. My hunger kicks in around noon regardless of if I have breakfast or not, so it works like a charm.

This works for me as well. If I eat breakfast I will starving by 10am, eat lunch and be starving again by3pm.

• skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member

Hummus is high in fat,watch your intake of it..Did you try eating several smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 3?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've lost 120 lbs since May 2016, and I do not believe in intuitive eating. Hunger is a healthy normal feeling shared by billions of people across the planet. I'm glad you felt "nice" while losing weight, but don't start hamster wheeling on me. The law of energy conservation states that you must eat less calories than you burn in a day to lose fat. I'm sorry that for many people, this involves some level of hunger. Anecdotes are not science.
  • cdover2
    cdover2 Posts: 7 Member
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    I have decided to embrace the hunger because no matter what I do or eat, I am still hungry

poor baby.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    To get additional protein, don't forget nut butters. I get fresh ground almond butter and fresh ground peanut butter from Whole Foods and sometimes eat it with a spoon BUT you must measure it--nuts are super high calorie, but satisfying.
  • janejellyroll

Hummus is high in fat,watch your intake of it..Did you try eating several smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 3?

Assuming OP is measuring it to assure she doesn't exceed her goal of 1,530 calories, the fat in the hummus isn't going to be an issue.