Oatmeal Substitution

Options
So I am a huge fan of oatmeal in the morning for breakfast. Something about it is just so comforting! BUT I am wondering if there are any low carb swaps with the same type consistency of oatmeal? Tell me your ideas! Share your recipes and pictures!

Thanks!

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My MIL found a Whole 30 faux oatmeal that used raw cashews I believe. Check Pinterest for Whole 30 oatmeal substitutes.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This isn't low carb by any means, so it's kind of a useless response (sorry).

But I made rice pudding using short-grained brown rice and light coconut milk, cooked in a crockpot for hours. It tasted like oatmeal...the rice had a firmer texture though. So good.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just eat the oatmeal if you like it. Carbs are not evil.
    My MIL found a Whole 30 faux oatmeal that used raw cashews I believe. Check Pinterest for Whole 30 oatmeal substitutes.
    This sounds extremely calorific..... I'd rather the oatmeal for a quarter of the calories and less fuss.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not really low carb, but oat bran is higher in fiber, making it slightly lower in net carbs if you want to try that.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Not lower card but a low GI breakfast cereal is Grits! Yum.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    This isn't low carb by any means, so it's kind of a useless response (sorry).

But I made rice pudding using short-grained brown rice and light coconut milk, cooked in a crockpot for hours. It tasted like oatmeal...the rice had a firmer texture though. So good.

That sounds delicious!!!!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be low carb? And further I don't think think that's possible...oatmeal is not bad. In fact, it might keep you fuller longer.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All kinds of porridge are great alternatives to oatmeal - polenta, semolina, millet, for instance, I love all of them - but of course they aren't low carb - but is that a requirement? If so, you have to look for something completely different. But anyway, why, if you like oatmeal?
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for lower carb, or lower glycemic? If it's just lower glycemic, then old-fashioned oats would be lower. So would steel-cut oats. Both are easy to find and taste good, but may be a little more trouble to prepare.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Bulk it up with zucchini.... Google "zoats"
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I make porridge using a mixture of flax meal, coconut flour, and coconut milk. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll dress it up with a little cinnamon and some stevia, or top it with some nuts or something.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Like others have asked, why are you avoiding the carbs in oats?

My go-to breakfast is a single serving of steel cut oats with two fried eggs on top
    310 calories
    28g carbs
    19g protein
    14g fat
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Xkcd
    Baggy wrinkles
    Heart and brain
    Harold's planet

Ok you mean the food not the cartoon. Hum outmeal is a carb it will be really hard to mimic the taste and texture with fat or protein.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Zoats. It's oatmeal bulked up and cooked with shredded zucchini. You can reduce the oats, or keep them the same but get more volume for only a bit more calories (and carbs, but very little).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try water. Proportion 1cup oatmeal to 2 1/2 cups water. Stir on medium heat. You will get the same oats, creamy consistency, with lower calorie for the volume.
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Still has carbs but also has more protein than oats. The texture takes some getting used to, but it can be prepared just like oatmeal
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    pbandwine wrote: »
    Quinoa. Still has carbs but also has more protein than oats. The texture takes some getting used to, but it can be prepared just like oatmeal

I agree. I like quinoa with apples and cinnamon for breakfast :smiley:
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am keto and enjoy Noatmeal.

1 tbsp chia seed
    1 tbsp flax meal
    1 tbsp hemp hearts
    2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
    2 tbsp almond flour
    120ml almond milk (I sub Premier Protein here however)
    Optional: 20-30g of berries and 1/2 scoop of protein powder.

You combine all the dry, add the liquid and stir over medium heat until congealed and then eat.

Please note though that while this sub is low in carbs it is not low in calories. My average morning Noats clocks in around 450 whereas a standard envelope of oatmeal is closer to 160-200 if mixed with water. So if you are low carb it's a great option, if you think low carb will just mean "better for weight loss" it might not be the dish for you.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oatmeal is also pretty decent for protein and fiber, so not as useless as a lot of starchy food items.
    ltiysqmbo1k9.jpg