Is this app accurate?

Options
TejahBee
TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
Sometimes I enter a food and I KNOW the info is not correct. Like, I can enter this shredded cheese I use. When I put in 2 ounces, the facts are different then 1/4 cup, which is exactly the same measurement. Anyone else notice this?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The entries are created by your fellow users. Some are accurate, some aren't.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    2 ounces of cheese does not equal 1/4 cup. 2 ounces of liquid is equivalent to 1/4 cup of liquid - but with weight of a solid food, these are not the same thing.

There are some inaccurate entries, though, because they are user created. Just keep an eye on your packaging and choose a correct one.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You are using fluid ounces and the app is using weight. You need to be on the same page.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not using cups to measure shredded cheese would be a good start.
    Cups measure volume but the calories are in relation to weight not volume.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Use grams
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup isn't a weight, and therefore not the same measurement as 2 ounces unless you're referring to liquids. Weigh your cheese, then measure - you might be surprised how little the 2oz of cheese fills that 1/4 cup.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's only as accurate as the entries you choose and your measuring. As others have said, the database is full of user-added entries and some (many) of them are complete junk. Look for entries that let you use grams as a unit of measure for solids (thinks like cheese, avocado, vegetables, meat, etc). Tag USDA on the end when you search and compare to the online database and/or package if it's a pre-packaged item. It's time-consuming at first but if you're like most of us you rotate through a common list of foods so once you have your good entries lined up it gets a LOT easier.