Sugar in fruit???

Options
2»

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OP, if you haven't ever looked at the "Eat This, Not That" food books, see if your local library has one and take a look. The photos are eye-opening. (Don't bother with their website - it's all fluff.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    OP, if you haven't ever looked at the "Eat This, Not That" food books, see if your local library has one and take a look. The photos are eye-opening. (Don't bother with their website - it's all fluff.)

How did OP's question about fruit make you think she needed this book? Just curious.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    You cant gain weight in a defecit - the only way eating fruit would do that is:

1. Food/ waste weight in your system from the bulk ( if eating a lot)- but thats not body fat, so not a big deal.
    2. If the sugar causes blooid sugar jighs and crashes which cause you to eat more and go over your maintenance calories on a regular basis.

Other than that, no problem
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's not bad for you. I love fruit and eat about 3 servings a day. I just try to avoid the other processed sugar I eat, so I stay below the recommended limit that mfp gives me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kcannis wrote: »
    Sugar in fruit will not cause you to gain weight the same way raw sugar will; like candy and pastries, refined sugars. However, too much fruit will make you gain weight. Eat berries--like strawberries. If I'm craving something sugary, I will eat 3 apples or 2 cups of strawberries before I'll eat 2 pieces of cake. I won't gain weight from the apples. I will from the 2 pieces of cake.

wrong - calorie surplus causes weight gain, not sugar..

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot more apples than you can candy bars. A calorie is just not a calorie.

again, wrong.

a calorie is a unit of energy, so all calories are equal in that all provide the same unit of energy. So one calorie of cake = one calorie of apple.

However, all calories do not have the same nutritional profile, and that is where they differ.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The sugar in candy was once in fruit, or corn, or some other sugar rich plant. Where sugar comes from doesn't matter. What does matter is that eating too much of it can be harmful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im glad sugar doesnt make you fat. if it did I would have been fat as a teen/young adult
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We've got the same question or either related. As mostly of MFP users here answers that sugar is not bad as long it's fit your calorie budget! Diabetic or pre diabetic person should control their sugar intake not us :) good luck
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You can eat a lot more apples than you can candy bars. A calorie is just not a calorie.

@kcannis

Care to explain precisely what a calorie actually is?

And then perhaps explain how two calories can be different.....

I think what she means to say is that two things can have the same energy density yet produce very different effects based on satiety and volume. For instance, it is far easier to overeat a hyperpatable food like cake or soda than it is to overeat Fuji apples because Fuji apples have more fiber, which adds bulk to the chyme digesting in your stomach, mimicking the effect of filling it, and contribute a greater amount of water than a piece of cake, which has also shown to be beneficial in satiety.

A food like cake for instance, doesn't take up much volume in the stomach, and so it has the illusion of being empty despite having eaten something.