Advice about drop bar road bike

Options
I just got myself a road bike. Nothing fancy, it's a drop bar style that I got off Amazon for $200 but it's a good starting point for me. Prior to this I have ridden a mountain bike and it was fine but I love my new road bike and cycling in general.

The problem I am having is the getting my hands comfortable on the drop bar. My body is too big to put my hands down below on the curve, (I have a big belly) so it works best for me to put my hands on the top part of the bar. But by the time I get done with a 10-12 mile ride my the base of my hands hurt terribly and continue to hurt like they are bruised the next day. I've had this bike for about a month now and have been riding it 3-4 times a week 6-12 miles each time so far and am building mileage as the weather permits working up to 30+ miles at a time.

My question is...is this something that will get better as I keep riding or would I be better off with a straight bar. I never would have considered the straight bar but I rode 12 and 10 miles Sun and Mon this week and Tues and Wed the base of my hands hurt and the pain continued up my forearms like a sore muscle. Today was cold and rainy so I rode my mountain bike on a trainer in the house and those bars didn't hurt my hands at all, so that got me thinking about the straight bar.

I also realize that on my mountain bike I'm sitting more upright so it doesn't put so much pressure on my hands. Is this pain in my hands something that will get better with time to or should I think about converting to a straight bar?? O do I just need better padding on my drop bar??

I appreciate any help you may have.

Replies

• jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It is difficult to convert a drop handle bar bike to a flat bar as the brakes and gears are different.

It is possible to raise the handlebars using an extender or adjustable stem which would put less weight on your arms.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=stem+extender&r=category:cycling&origin=web&ir=q:stem+extender

I would take your bike to your local bike shop and see what they recommend. They should be able to tell you what would best with your bike.

Stick with the drop bars - there is a learning curve but they are the best option (in my opinion) for road bikes.

HTH

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Most general riding, I'm on the hoods...or on top if it's just a casual ride...I only go into the drops when I'm doing a time trial or attacking or otherwise doing sprint intervals...I typically don't just ride on the drops...only when I'm getting really aggressive.

You should also probably take it in for a fit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hmvanwink wrote: »
    I also realize that on my mountain bike I'm sitting more upright so it doesn't put so much pressure on my hands. Is this pain in my hands something that will get better with time to or should I think about converting to a straight bar?? O do I just need better padding on my drop bar??

Sounds like you could do with some time fitting the bike, as it's likely that you're putting too much of your weight onto your hands.

There are a number of YouTube videos talking about bike fit, but for this one it's likely that your bars and seat are too far apart. You either bring the bars back, or the seat forward.

I'm the same as cwolfman, I tend to ride on the hoods or the top of the bars.

The other thing to think about is using cycling gloves.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ditto advice above about a bike fit and using gloves / mitts and riding on the hoods not the drops....

For the future you might want to consider something in the style of a Specialized Roubaix, drop bars but a fairly high front. I swapped from a straight barred hybrid to the Roubaix and found it more comfortable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ditto advice above about a bike fit and using gloves / mitts and riding on the hoods not the drops....

For the future you might want to consider something in the style of a Specialized Roubaix, drop bars but a fairly high front. I swapped from a straight barred hybrid to the Roubaix and found it more comfortable.

I ride a Roubaix Elite...love that thing...having a bit higher head tube is nice for long endurance rides and more casual riding. I only race recreationally, so it's not biggie to me...but my coach keeps wanting to drop the head tube for races and I'm like, "yeah...I just want to go have fun...and be moderately comfortable doing it."
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. It all makes complete sense. I wish I could afford a nice expensive bike but for just starting out my $200 Amazon bike will have to do.

I raised the bar and tilted it up a little bit more so I will try it out again Saturday and see if that's better. This one is a cheap bike so I can't move the bar forward without replacing the bar mount so raising and tilting is all I can do for now. I also might look into the gloves or at I watched a Youtube Video about double taping for more cushion so I might try that too.

Thanks again!! Happy riding!!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Tops should be the most relaxed position and you should check on the bike fit if it's hurting that much. Also you didn't mention if or type of handlebar tap. It'll be really old school if it's tap or cotton and I remember those wasn't particularly comfortable but nothing as like what you described. Personally I like cork and forgo gloves (unless racing because of sweat). Unless I'm descending, sprinting, or taking a really tight turn at speed, I don't get in the drops. Like many above, I'm on the hoods most of the time except while climbing (tops).
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Gloves help from slipping, even with cork. It takes energy to keep fighting the "slippage." fit could be another issue. So could core strength. Or some combination. Remember proper riding posture-relaxed upper body, bent and relaxed joints, spine rolled out, not in. I could only ride in my drops for about 20 miles at a time. Usually only in headwind situations. Also, as mentioned above, hoods should be primary position. My mt bike also has "dirt drops" and my hoods are where I ride. You may want to look at that option, but they're probably just as much as your bike....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most general riding, I'm on the hoods...or on top if it's just a casual ride...I only go into the drops when I'm doing a time trial or attacking or otherwise doing sprint intervals...I typically don't just ride on the drops...only when I'm getting really aggressive.

You should also probably take it in for a fit.

Agreed it's probably 90% a fit issue. The other thing you can do is get a pair of road bike gloves, I've been using the ones that just have a thicker leather pad since I was a teenager but they also make ones that have a gel pad that may alleviate some of the pressure. You can also try engaging yor core a bit more so you're not putting as much pressure on your hands.

Have fun!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Without meaning to ask the blindingly obvious - how tight are you gripping the bars?

Many beginner start out with a death grip because a road bike tends to be a little more skittish than a mountain bike so try relaxing generally and see it that helps.

Fit does seem to be a likely issue though.
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    I wanted to update since I have made some changes and rode a few more times. I raised the handle bars up as high as they can go and tilted them upward some too and that made a big difference. Tilting the handlebars also helped make it easier to get my fingers on the brakes. My fingers are short and I was considering putting cross top brake levers on but I don't feel that's necessary now. I can now ride comfortably with my hands on the hoods for a while but on long rides I have to alternate back to tops once in a while.

My longest ride so far was this last Saturday and we went for 14.5 miles. We (my husband and I) are working up to the 50 mile range. After that ride my hands hurt quite a bit and my shoulders were tired but not sore so I think that is a good thing. I'm going to get new bar tape with gel padding and re-tape the bars. I saw a youtube video about double taping the bars and I'm thinking about trying that. I also would like to move the bars forward but this bike does not adjust for that. So I'm going to have to look for a different bar mount that is adjustable and see if that helps too.

I really want to stay with the drop bars but a week ago we pulled out the old mountain bikes and rode on gravel and even though I hate my heavy, old mountain bike now, it sure was a lot more comfortable on my hands and shoulders. Because of that I haven't completely ruled out converting to flat bar handlebars. I am hopeful that with a few more tweaks I won't have to do that.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would send that bike back and get one from your local bike shop. That way, they can help you with proper fit.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    Personally, I would send that bike back and get one from your local bike shop. That way, they can help you with proper fit.

Probably too late for that, but take the bike you have to a good local shop. They may be able to make some adjustments for you. The other part is to make sure you are switching hand positions during your ride and also supporting your body with your core rather than resting all that weight on your hands. Finally, you will build strength that will make this better over time.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Generally you are more stretched out and forward on a roadbike. So I don't really think putting a flat bar on would make a great deal of difference.

Women are also harder to fit as our length proportions are different. I'm not sure how your bike is set up, but a shorter stem may help assuming it is not all one piece.

Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    fizik-bargel-kit.jpg?w=1400&h=1400&a=7

bargel-top.jpg

I don't really like them, but it sounds like these might be a good stepping stone for you. They add cushion to your bars. They go under the tape.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I thought of one other thing. Your bars may be too wide. I think Salsa still makes narrower bars that work well for women.
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    fizik-bargel-kit.jpg?w=1400&h=1400&a=7

bargel-top.jpg

I don't really like them, but it sounds like these might be a good stepping stone for you. They add cushion to your bars. They go under the tape.

I saw that online and was thinking about ordering it. Thank you!!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Getting comfortable in/with the drops takes time. In the meantime, a decent shop will give advice on basic fit.

I, for, one completely and totally recommend eventually paying for a complete bike fit (covers shoes (cleats)), saddle position and width, bar height and width.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I thought of one other thing. Your bars may be too wide. I think Salsa still makes narrower bars that work well for women.

Have somebody measure across your back from shoulder to shoulder. That's the width of the handlebars you need. Bikes come with handlebars, and they're just sized according to the bike size, eg a 58 cm frame gets 44 cm bars. That works for most people, but not everybody.

I'm running Enve compact road bars. They're extremely comfortable, the shape is exactly what I like, and the compliance is fantastic, they smooth a lot more road buzz than I expected from them. But that's a crazy expensive option, all things considered, and it sounds like your issue is more to do with fit and maybe just getting used to riding a drop bar bike.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I was biking I always wore fingerless gloves with padding on the palms. Padded bar tape helps too. A good bike shop can put it on your bars for you.