Loose skin and Organic Bone Broth

Options
2»

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    When did "bone broth" become a thing, by the way? Of course you put bones in when you make stock! I never imagined there was any other way to do it.

Yeah I don't get the "bone broth" term. Very weird. You make chicken stock or beef stock...with leftover bones. It's the bits of meat clinging to the bones that flavor the broth. "Bone broth" actually sounds gross. :s

:anguished: You don't like Jello?

Bone broth is not 'stock' (much longer simmering time to extract more minerals from the roasted bones) -- kinda a quick look/comparison article --> http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth is nectar of the gods.

A skin-tightening agent? Not so much. ;)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :anguished: You don't like Jello?

Bone broth is not 'stock' (much longer simmering time to extract more minerals from the roasted bones) -- kinda a quick look/comparison article --> http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/

I meant to say BROTH, not STOCK. It's chicken broth. Beef broth. The name is based on the flavor.

Not sure what jello has to do with it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    "Organic" is neither here nor there. Gelatin or collagen is supposed to help with this, and a friend of mine swears that it does, but it's hard to tell for sure.

When did "bone broth" become a thing, by the way? Of course you put bones in when you make stock! I never imagined there was any other way to do it.

It sounds cooler when you call it "bone broth." It really does... B)

No. No, it doesn't. Calling it "bone broth" is like shouting from the rooftops "I just follow the latest food fads and don't know anything but what I see on the Internet in click-bait articles."

ETA: :wink:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Are you pho-king kidding me? lol See what I did there? :)
    You can't be pho-real.

"Organic" is neither here nor there. Gelatin or collagen is supposed to help with this, and a friend of mine swears that it does, but it's hard to tell for sure.

No. No, it doesn't. Calling it "bone broth" is like shouting from the rooftops "I just follow the latest food fads and don't know anything but what I see on the Internet in click-bait articles."

I've made bone broth, it wasn't perfect, but I did it. What I will say is if you cook it for an extensive time (stock cooks for at least half the time) I had what I thought was a tastier broth than when I've made stock.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Are you pho-king kidding me? lol See what I did there? :)
    You can't be pho-real.

I've made bone broth, it wasn't perfect, but I did it. What I will say is if you cook it for an extensive time (stock cooks for at least half the time) I had what I thought was a tastier broth than when I've made stock.

It depends on how you make stock. Many people let them simmer a good long time.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Many of us have probably read this MFP article about this fine fellow (Eric Naiman) who lost a lot of weight using MFP. So inspiring!

I note that he ends up looking incredibly fit, and I love seeing his emerging smile. But, yes, he appears to have a bit of excess skin. I can imagine that it would take a year or more for your body to fully equilibrate after losing a lot of weight. Also, you want to make damn sure you aren't going to gain the weight back. But the true remedy, if desired by the individual, is probably surgery.