Is it difficult to do StrongLifts without a smart phone?

Options
I love lifting weights. I currently do the machine circuit at the gym, but I think lifting free weights is better because you use your whole body to balance, etc. I want to get toned, but I don't want to bulk up. (I'm a 45 year old woman with about 40 pounds to lose on my 5'8" frame.) I had never heard of StrongLifts until recently joining MFP. Is this something that sounds good for me? The problem is, I don't have a smart phone, just a regular flip-phone. Is the program do-able without a smart phone? Would I have to print out the program on a piece of paper and follow it? Dorky I know, but I'm okay with the dork that I am.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is OK without a smartphone...you can print out a spreadsheet. I do that with my program.

StrongLifts is a great beginner strength program and if you are eating in a deficit, you can lose weight and improve your body composition.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    It's called strong lifts 5X5 because there are 5 different lifts and you do 5 reps on every exercise except deadlift. You could easily do it without the smart phone, just use a notebook to track your progress. Typically the ap adds weight each time you exercise, but that may be too aggressive to start. Exercise day A = Squats, Overhead Press and Deadlift, Exercise day B = Squats, Benchpress and Rows. Week one do A twice and B once (perhaps MWF) and week two do B twice and A once - and so on.

I've started doing a variation because I injured my back (too aggressive) so now I'm a little more cautious.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes, this program is totally doable without the app. Personally, I like tracking my workouts in a notebook better anyways.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It will be a great program for you with your goals. You will not get bulky and you will have a better looking body when you get to your weight goal.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    . . . sure? i mean, it depends what kinds of things you find easy or hard to remember. for me, i can't remember what day it is most of the time, but my lifting numbers are usually there in my head.

and sl is simple. if you did x on y lift the last time, you do x+5 on that lift the next time. so all you ahve to remember is five different numbers. wendler 5/3/1 is a bit trickier, but that's ot.