Ladies, did your weight loss help reduce your PMS symptoms?

When you achieved your weight loss goal and maintained a healthy BMI did you notice any improvement with PMS symptoms? Please say, yes! I need something else to look forward to in my weight loss journey.

Replies

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I haven't reached my goal, but I've always had terrible PMS symptoms, but the pain and cramping reduced quite a bit with regular exercise. So you should feel the effects of regular exercise pretty soon.
  • ddveedub
    ddveedub Posts: 140 Member
    I had a healthy bmi when I was young and excruciating cramps, so..... No. Something that did help my cycle was my IUD. I no longer have bouts with crazy emotions, extreme cramps and week and a half long periods like I use to. The pill and I don't get on well. It's *suppose* to help with symptoms, but it just made me an emotional wreck. Exercise helps alleviate cramps. Hot baths. Sex. I have a 2-5# weight gain right before my period but it goes away after my period starts. This is too much info, isn't it? Sorry!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Not sure if I would say PMS symptoms, but certainly the pain around my period caused by endometriosis has gotten much better.

And I'm less grouchy and feel better all times of the month :)
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    It definitely did help them a little. The biggest help was changing my birth control, though (pill to Nuvaring). I've just started strength training regularly over the past month, and so far the symptoms are a little less from that than just from pure cardio. It's only been a month and might be a fluke, but I'm hoping it's promising!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Nope - I still pop Midol like candy and wish for death the first couple of days
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Yes, I've lost 24lbs, still got at least 20 to go, I started mid Jan 17. Until this last month I've had 21 day cycles for 3 years, bleeding on ovulation too! Also suffered with migraines, very tender breasts and irritability/tearfulness 5 days before period was due. But this month my cycle was 28 days, no breast tenderness, no irritability and no bleed on ovulation...hooray!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Nope. Ol' reliable is exactly the same.
  • lisa8454
    lisa8454 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes, at least as far as Day One cramps are concerned. Irritability and bloating are the same, but I've had only very slight cramping these past couple of cycles; before, the cramps on Day One would wake me up in the middle of the night or leave me curled on the couch all day. Fingers crossed it stays this way.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    No, because now my PMS is often combined with being HANGRY.
  • jrolls79
    jrolls79 Posts: 12 Member
    Cutting sugar out makes my mood more predictable and even all month long.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    This is what I noticed when I belonged to a gym and worked out with weight machines 3x/week: exercising my abdominals really helped. Sadly, that gym has closed and, since I'm not currently employed, membership fees aren't something in my budget, but there are still exercises I can do at home, like sit-ups.
  • laurelann19
    laurelann19 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm not at goal yet, but while my PMS hasn't lessened, my cycle is more regular, and my symptoms are more recognizable, as I'm more attuned to my body now. Also, my flow has decreased pretty significantly and the duration is consistent month to month.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    I think diet does, not weightloss. Atleast for me...since changing what i eat ive had less cramps, not as heavy flow, no bloating, less lethargy during that time..but i think its different for everyone..
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    ddveedub wrote: »
    I had a healthy bmi when I was young and excruciating cramps, so..... No. Something that did help my cycle was my IUD. I no longer have bouts with crazy emotions, extreme cramps and week and a half long periods like I use to. The pill and I don't get on well. It's *suppose* to help with symptoms, but it just made me an emotional wreck. Exercise helps alleviate cramps. Hot baths. Sex. I have a 2-5# weight gain right before my period but it goes away after my period starts. This is too much info, isn't it? Sorry!

I don't think TMI should apply to period talk - its refreshing to find someone so frank. Half of the world goes through it at some point, it's nice to be able to talk openly.

Thanks for the tip on the IUD. I'm on the fence about it and it's really helpful to hear personal experiences!

• LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    hasn't helped me any.. I'm down 40 with only 10 left to go. And still have stupid PMS..
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    I have endometriosis, and have lost 70 pounds. I've been at maintenance for a couple of years now, and here's what I've found (please keep in mind that this is my personal experience - your mileage may vary):

1. Initially, losing the weight helped immensely with irritation and serious debilitating pain during select parts of my cycle.
    2. Once I started exercising, that too helped immensely with irritation and pain during my cycle.
    3. Once I hit my goal weight and was a little more lax in what I was fueling my body with, some of my pain and crankiness returned (not all - I still hurt significantly less than I used to).
    4. If I tighten up my diet to be more wholesome (less chips/icecream/beer), the PMS symptoms lessen.
    5. If I exercise consistently, the PMS symptoms lessen.
    6. WHen I start to eat crap and lay off the exercise, the PMS symptoms return and the men-folk I live with hide for a week each month.

So - yes, weight-loss may help, but so do a balanced diet and exercise. :) At least for me, it helped. I think I remember beginning to notice a difference after the first 15 lbs lost (but it's been a while).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Mine has got a lot worse since being on a calorie restricted intake. More pain, longer bleeding. Is it diet related or coincidence? Who knows.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    mine was so much better 70 lbs down first time my entire life I'm regular (pcos) but I noticed a difference a month in and I cut sugar and wheat at doctors request. I think that made the difference rather than the weight.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    No I actually stopped getting my period and now PMS is worse lol
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Nope weight doesn't seem to have any impact at all. Pregnancy changed my emotional pms symptoms for the better. Using a diva cup instead of tampons or pads wiped out 90-95% of my cramps. They used to make me incapable of functioning for about 36 hours, now just occasionally experience a twinge or two an hour during that timeframe.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!