starting to do some low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    greg7564 wrote: »
    I am currently on a low carb / low fat / high protien diet .... OMG , I really have no energy but it seems to be working well ... Lost an inch of my waist in 4 weeks. I also do a cardio session in the morning but have been too busy / fatigued for any weight training.

GOAL: Lose 8% of my body fat by June

Maybe that will work but seems off to me.

I eat what I consider moderate carbs...usually between 100-150g. I can't go lower because a high fat diet doesn't work for me.

How much protein are you eating in day???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently on a low carb / low fat / high protien diet .... OMG , I really have no energy but it seems to be working well ... Lost an inch of my waist in 4 weeks. I also do a cardio session in the morning but have been too busy / fatigued for any weight training.

If you can't lift weights because you are too fatigued, your plan isn't working. Protein is a terrible energy source... increase fats or carbs. Ultimately, calorie is what determines actual fat loss. And depending on how much body fat you have, 8% might not happen.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you can't lift weights because you are too fatigued, your plan isn't working. Protein is a terrible energy source... increase fats or carbs. Ultimately, calorie is what determines actual fat loss. And depending on how much body fat you have, 8% might not happen.

Agreed. You need some sort of energy source whether it is fat or carbs. If you have no energy or strength to weight train, but do stay in a deficit, you will certainly lose weight, but you will be losing much more muscle than you want and still probably not hit your 8% BF goal anyway
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I did low carb/low fat/high protein for a while. It worked well at that time in that I lost about 10% of my body weight, reversed my prediabetes and lowered my triglycerides from 217 to 52.

However, after that I started reading about low carb/high fat/adequate protein being good for people with PCOS (which I have) and also for a range of autoimmune conditions like MS (which I also have). Once I started reading up more on that, it seemed to have better support for a lot of people than LCLF. I've been eating LCHFAP for 15 months now and it's had great health benefits for me, more sustainable, more energy than LCLF, cycles are regular, MS is stable, reduced joint pain and GI issues, better mental clarity. And like pp's mentioned, I have no problems with constipation (unlike when I did LCLF).
  • psuLemon
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I did low carb/low fat/high protein for a while. It worked well at that time in that I lost about 10% of my body weight, reversed my prediabetes and lowered my triglycerides from 217 to 52.

However, after that I started reading about low carb/high fat/adequate protein being good for people with PCOS (which I have) and also for a range of autoimmune conditions like MS (which I also have). Once I started reading up more on that, it seemed to have better support for a lot of people than LCLF. I've been eating LCHFAP for 15 months now and it's had great health benefits for me, more sustainable, more energy than LCLF, cycles are regular, MS is stable, reduced joint pain and GI issues, better mental clarity. And like pp's mentioned, I have no problems with constipation (unlike when I did LCLF).

That's great to hear about you finding something to work with your condition. I am all too familiar of the struggles with all of my wife's stuff. And while I did know about the links between PCOS and carbs, I didn't know about it's links with MS. Do you happen to have any science behind that or was it largely anecdotal? I would definitely enjoy reading it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon it's mostly based on the work of Dr. Wahls and her book. (She has MS herself.)
    http://terrywahls.com/about-the-wahls-protocol/

I don't follow all of her recommendations and am looking forward to seeing the results of further study of her protocol for a broader group of MS patients, but it does seem promising. She incorporates a lot of paleo principles and her strictest version of her plan is ketogenic. Previously I didn't pay much attention to MS diet recommendations since none of them seemed proven and some of them conflict with each other, but since Wahls' work fit well with the PCOS recs I'd come across, I figured it made sense for me to try it. So far so good, but I'm also on an MS medication (Gilenya).
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I find moderate carb the best. I shoot for 30-40% of my macros. I usually eat 2 starches and 2 fruits each day. I avoid sugars and grains. When I stick to that I feel best.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @psuLemon it's mostly based on the work of Dr. Wahls and her book. (She has MS herself.)
    http://terrywahls.com/about-the-wahls-protocol/

I don't follow all of her recommendations and am looking forward to seeing the results of further study of her protocol for a broader group of MS patients, but it does seem promising. She incorporates a lot of paleo principles and her strictest version of her plan is ketogenic. Previously I didn't pay much attention to MS diet recommendations since none of them seemed proven and some of them conflict with each other, but since Wahls' work fit well with the PCOS recs I'd come across, I figured it made sense for me to try it. So far so good, but I'm also on an MS medication (Gilenya).

thanks.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i do low carb and have for over a year. I have lost 120 pounds. I try to stay under 20 grams of net carbs per day. I dont always make it. great website is dietdoctor.com you dont have to buy anything
  • wishihadanadipose
    wishihadanadipose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I find moderate carb the best. I shoot for 30-40% of my macros. I usually eat 2 starches and 2 fruits each day. I avoid sugars and grains. When I stick to that I feel best.

Do you basically do an even split of your macros, then? I was LCHF but thanks to fat malabsorption have to lay off the fat a bit but still plan on avoiding grains & sugar.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Many if not most all diseases seem to delope after a long-term elevated C-Reactive Protein test results. I have been reading how Vitamin C, Poly MVA, Artemisia. Pycnogenol, etc can prevent or reverse cancer, etc.

One view is by lowering ones CRP test results that may free up our immune system to resolve other health issues.

LCHF is just another way many of us select to lower our CRP level and reverse major health issues.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have a 35%/35%/30% macro split so that's only about 130g of carbs on a cut. That's pretty low by my standards but not sure what you consider low.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »

Do you basically do an even split of your macros, then? I was LCHF but thanks to fat malabsorption have to lay off the fat a bit but still plan on avoiding grains & sugar.

I have them set for 40 Carbs, 30/30. I would recommend maybe going down to 30% carbs especially if you have blood sugar issues, but if fat is hard to eat I think you could go up to 50% carbs. Something like 20-30 protein and the rest fat.