Lift heavy

Yes... helps tone up quicker... just don't do as many reps

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Losing fat helps you "tone up" quicker, as it makes your muscles more visible/defined.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Difference between low rep/high weight vs low weight/high rep....

Power vs endurance.

I actually work a variety of rep ranges.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Best thing I ever did was lift heavy. Melts the fat.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    irshdncr72 wrote: »
    Yes... helps tone up quicker... just don't do as many reps

I agree with the lifting heavy part. Even though I hate the phrase "tone up".
    But yes lifting heavy in combination with restricted diet help "tone up"
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    This is just stupid.

Workout at whatever volume and frequency is relevant to your current physical condition and goals.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    This is just stupid.

Workout at whatever volume and frequency is relevant to your current physical condition and goals.

Agreed. Some people do not have the physical capacity or training adaption to lift heavy. Adherence is by far the most overlooked factor when it comes to success. If someone hates the program, it doesn't matter how "optimal" it is, they will never see results.

Get someone doing exercises that they enjoy, and try to make them include more activity in their daily life when at all possible. The rest are details. The actual research shows that muscle can be built just as effectively using lower reps when volume is equated.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    This is just stupid.

Agreed. Some people do not have the physical capacity or training adaption to lift heavy. Adherence is by far the most overlooked factor when it comes to success. If someone hates the program, it doesn't matter how "optimal" it is, they will never see results.

Get someone doing exercises that they enjoy, and try to make them include more activity in their daily life when at all possible. The rest are details. The actual research shows that muscle can be built just as effectively using lower reps when volume is equated.

true dat. ^