eating calories later in the day and before bed bad ?

Options
jla2425
jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
Hey guys so im new to mfp. Im wondering is it ok if i eat most of my calories later in the day ? I dont work out cardio except 1 day a week. I just do strength the other days. im trying to lose weight (im 30lbs overweight). I workout at night strength around 8pm have a protien scoop with water after and a 100 calorie oatmeal before i sleep so i dont feel hungry at night. I eat 1600 cals to 1700 a day including my night foods. I also eat dinner at 6pm. Is that ok or no that i eat most at night? I do eat breakfast and a 400 calorie greek yogurt smoothie at noon.

Replies

• jla2425
    Options
    Also i do this because when i eat too many calories early in day i end up being starved by bedtime and make bad choices. Im on day 4 and this is the longest ive ever made it on clean eating and i feel great and Satisfied
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Your body never stops working. Eat whenever you want. (If you have other issues like the caffeine in chocolate not letting you fall asleep if you eat it right before bed, fine. No chocolate right before bed.) As far as the rest, you do you.

I generally leave a few calories over for a late night snack.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's ok. As long as you log your food and exercise thoroughly and accurately and stay in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight eventually.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The time of day you eat your calories doesn't matter- it's just how many.

The only time to worry about eating too late is if you have a medical condition like GERD that it can irritate, but even then that won't cause weight gain or hinder loss if your calories are right.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of calories late at night. I'll eat all the way up until bedtime if I have the calories left. Hasn't hurt as far as I can tell.
  • jla2425
    Options
    Awesome i gave read so many mixed reviews but i cant starve at night or i will fail and binge for a week
  • StrayAlien
    StrayAlien Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tend to sleep better when I eat before bed as long as I don't eat a ton of carbs or I will get running leg syndrome.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. I know my self I can't go to bed hungry otherwise I won't sleep. With that being said I can't eat too much as I will suffer from heartburn. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the way I eat!

It's a myth that you shouldn't eat close to bed time. Your body never stops working.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat the bulk of my calories as snacks before bed lol it's fine