Very few extra calories once I go into maintenance

Options
I have just checked as I am now very close to goal weight, and I will only be getting 250 extra calories once I switch from losing .5 per week to maintenance. Just want to check that is right. Can u sense the disappointment whilst typing?! Was hoping for a few more there to play with....

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes the maths is correct but have you in fact been losing half a pound a week over the last month or so?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes the maths is correct but have you in fact been losing half a pound a week over the last month or so?

^this. OP how long have you been eating at a deficit? Was the deficit always 250 cals/day? What were your actual results? Was your loss steady? How much did you lose total? Do you exercise, and eat back those exercise calories?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    250 calories means you can have an extra cookie. That's not such a bad thing.

That being said, I find that I exercise more now that I've lost weight than I did while losing weight. When losing weight I had a goal of 1,600 and I was exercising to bring that up over 2,000. Now, my maintenance without exercise is about 2,400. It is a rare day when I don't eat at least 3,000 calories and my weight has still fallen to closer to the low side of my maintenance range.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hmm, can't work out how to copy and paste. But to reply to Winogelato, I've been losing since middle of Jan and have lost about 10lbs. It's come off quicker than I expected especially as I have eaten back all my exercise calories and have had a few days where I've gone lots over. I did have it set to losing 1lb per week but felt it was coming off a bit too quickly so readjusted to .5 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I didn't have much to lose but am pleased with how easily it has come off. Having said that I am exercising lots more than previously so I expect that has a lot to do with it.

So once I hit my target (imagine in 3 or 4 weeks time) can I manually adjust my cals rather than take what MFP says is maintenance, or do I have to just eat less than it suggests (which I'm sure I will find tricky!)
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's correct. I went from 1280 for 0.25kg to 1485. Still need a lot of preplanning to get to those 1485.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ellefox70 wrote: »
    Hmm, can't work out how to copy and paste. But to reply to Winogelato, I've been losing since middle of Jan and have lost about 10lbs. It's come off quicker than I expected especially as I have eaten back all my exercise calories and have had a few days where I've gone lots over. I did have it set to losing 1lb per week but felt it was coming off a bit too quickly so readjusted to .5 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I didn't have much to lose but am pleased with how easily it has come off. Having said that I am exercising lots more than previously so I expect that has a lot to do with it.

So once I hit my target (imagine in 3 or 4 weeks time) can I manually adjust my cals rather than take what MFP says is maintenance, or do I have to just eat less than it suggests (which I'm sure I will find tricky!)

Hit the "quote" button in the lower left corner of a post you want to quote and show.

You can change your goal in MFP from "lose 0.5 lb/week" to "'maintain my weight" and the system will calculate a maintenance goal for you based on current stats. That doesn't include exercise though so you would still eat back exercise cals when you work out.

Alternatively, you can manually set a maintenance goal for yourself (some people use a TDEE calculator which does estimate exercise burns as well, and then just eat that amount.

Or, as others suggested, you can up your calories a little st a time, monitoring results until you get to a point where you stop losing, and then see if that is your maintenance number. The calculators are just estimates, and they may over or underestimate based on your actual calorie burn. I'm a 5'2 female over 40 who maintains a weight of 120 with a TDEE of 2200, which is higher than all the calculators would suggest.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ellefox70 wrote: »

Hit the "quote" button in the lower left corner of a post you want to quote and show.

You can change your goal in MFP from "lose 0.5 lb/week" to "'maintain my weight" and the system will calculate a maintenance goal for you based on current stats. That doesn't include exercise though so you would still eat back exercise cals when you work out.

Alternatively, you can manually set a maintenance goal for yourself (some people use a TDEE calculator which does estimate exercise burns as well, and then just eat that amount.

Or, as others suggested, you can up your calories a little st a time, monitoring results until you get to a point where you stop losing, and then see if that is your maintenance number. The calculators are just estimates, and they may over or underestimate based on your actual calorie burn. I'm a 5'2 female over 40 who maintains a weight of 120 with a TDEE of 2200, which is higher than all the calculators would suggest.

Wow that's a big tdee for a person your size. I'm a male 5'9" 174 ish pounds and my tdee sedentary days is 2150. On days when I'm walking and active at work it bumps up to 2400 or so.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Im trying to find my maintenance calories and it's very tricky. Ive slowly added calories in each week. It's hard to tell if i'm maintaining or if I can push my calories up a little more because I havent lost or gained. I wanna be able to eat as much as possible! I'll also add that my weekends screw up finding the accurate calories because I'll eat out much more.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Im trying to find my maintenance calories and it's very tricky. Ive slowly added calories in each week. It's hard to tell if i'm maintaining or if I can push my calories up a little more because I havent lost or gained. I wanna be able to eat as much as possible! I'll also add that my weekends screw up finding the accurate calories because I'll eat out much more.

Oh and by rereading what I wrote, that totally didnt help the OP lol. So i'll add that yes, once you hit maintenance calories, it's not much different than losing if you've been at .5 deficit. It's just a reminder that you cant go back to how much you used to eat before losing weight. I was disappointed at first when I realized this, but now just going with it and accepting it. It's not difficult but sometimes I just wanna eat everything.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been adding calories back once per week for the last 7 weeks trying to get to my maintenance calories. I started this before I hit my target weight in order to slow down my weight loss. Now I have gone past my original goal and am still losing weight here and there (mostly because of workouts). I think that is the hardest part to gauge in maintenance- how many of your workout calories to eat back. That's a tricky calculation...
  • ellefox70
    Options

Or, as others suggested, you can up your calories a little st a time, monitoring results until you get to a point where you stop losing, and then see if that is your maintenance number. The calculators are just estimates, and they may over or underestimate based on your actual calorie burn. I'm a 5'2 female over 40 who maintains a weight of 120 with a TDEE of 2200, which is higher than all the calculators would suggest.[/quote]

I'm also a 40+ 5'2 female and I much prefer the sound of 2200 to maintain! Think I will have to investigate fitting more exercise into my daily routine! Fingers crossed. Thanx for your help.
  • ellefox70
    Options

Oh and by rereading what I wrote, that totally didnt help the OP lol. So i'll add that yes, once you hit maintenance calories, it's not much different than losing if you've been at .5 deficit. It's just a reminder that you cant go back to how much you used to eat before losing weight. I was disappointed at first when I realized this, but now just going with it and accepting it. It's not difficult but sometimes I just wanna eat everything.

Yep I hear u! Thanx for the advice